TalkTalk and wireless

Please use this forum to ask our resident IT geeks advice.
Dadbob

TalkTalk and wireless

Post by Dadbob »

Anyone know how to activate wireless for a TalkTalk connection?

Moved phone and broadband to 'em and now they want to charge me £25 to tell me how to set up a wireless connection. Being a Yorkshireman, paying out more money is just alien to me.
Take it easy...but keep taking it!
VeetyR

Post by VeetyR »

it should be relatively easy fella.

Assuming you have a wireless broadband modem/router and are using windows to setup the connection( i e no 3rd party software ).

have a look on the router itself, somewhere on there, there will be a sticker stating 2 things : SSID and Network KEY or WEP KEY.

Having got this info and plugged everything in and booted it up, start your computer.

right click on the little wireless network icon(the one that looks like a comp with a red cross through it) at the bottom right of the screen. then click view available wireless networks.

You should see your router( identifiable by the SSID )......click on it and connect, it will ask for the NETWORK/WEP key...insert this, click connect.

After a few seconds the connection should be made and that is it.

Job Done.
:D

hope this helps.

john'o
Keep it gutter...Keep it grimey..........one!
Dadbob

Router etc

Post by Dadbob »

Chers John'o.

Main problem is that I don't have the necessary key numbers to erm... key in.

Can get the TalkTalk network to show on available networks but it won't connect. My old provider - Orange - kindly printed the WEP key on the livebox but it's not on TalkTalk.

Looks like I might have to start saving. Grumble, grumble, grumble...
Take it easy...but keep taking it!
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

You should be able to change the wep key yourself. Read the manual on the wirless box they supplied on how to access the box. That should give you access to add in your login name, password and change the wep key to something of your own choosing.
Rich.

Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Mine's http://192.168.2.1 but this obviously wont be accessable wirelessly if you don't have the wep key so be sure to use a network cable to access the routers menu. Once you've changed the wep key you should then be able to setup the wireless pretty easily.

Here's a link to all the talktalk issued modems too (with installation guides) CLICKETY CLICK