How to Post Pictures using Photobucket

Please use this forum to ask our resident IT geeks advice.
VTRDark

How to Post Pictures using Photobucket

Post by VTRDark »

Step by Step Guide

The forum will only accept pictures that are linked from a third party image host. For the purposes of this step by step guide I will be using photobucket which is my preferred image host and resizes images for you on the fly.

Photobucket is a free image hosting site that allows you to create galleries, upload and edit images. You can either have these gallery's made public or password protect them for private viewing. Though I prefer to use Youtube for Movies, photobucket also allows you to upload Movies too which is kind of handy at times.

Please note that the photobucket features require the latest version of the Flash plugin to work. If you have not got the Flash plugin installed or is out of date then you can get the latest version from the following http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Photobucket offers many options and features which I'm not going to go into here as there are far too many. This guide is most simplistic way I can describe for uploading and posting images within your posts.

Step One
If you don't have one already then first sign up for a free photobucket account.
http://photobucket.com/

They do offer a premium service but there is no need for this unless your a heavy user posting 100's of images. Sorry I can't remember the limit but it helps if you don't upload large file sizes. Think about resizing images beforehand.

Step Two

Step Three
You then select where you want to upload your image or images too.

There are various ways of uploading an image, you can either drag and drop or manually search for images on your drive via the Choose photos & videos dialog button. There is no reason to resize images beforehand as they will get resized on the fly as they are posted in the forum. There is an edit feature that can be used to resize images, change orientation, adjusts colours etc. But to be honest, if needs be, these are all best done beforehand in a third party image editing/graphics software before uploading online.

Step Four
While the image or images are being uploading you will get a progress bar and once finished thumbnails will preview along the bottom of the uploader.

From here there are various routes you can take, you can either View Uploads, Edit Photo's or select the thumbnail image which will take you direct to that image.

Note the links on the right hand side.

If you go via the View Uploads it will take you to the album you uploaded to.

Note the links directly under the thumbnails.

You can either copy and paste the image link code from underneath the thumbnail or select the thumbnail itself which will take you to the full image with links on the right as above.

Step Five
Which image link code do I use I hear you ask. The positions of your links may vary but on mine it's the Fourth one down IMG, use this to post a full size image directly in forum posts.

Note you can update or customise which links show in the options.

Select the IMG link field and it will highlight as it is automatically copied to your clipboard.

Step Six
OK now you have your image uploaded and link copied you can move across to
your forum post.

To add an image just simply paste the code you copied earlier from photobucket and past into your post where you want the image to appear.

There is no reason to add your own

Code: Select all

[img][/img] 
code containers from the BB Code buttons provided as photobucket has previously added these to the code for you.

It's a straight copy and paste from the photobucket link and you end up with the following.

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 04#p302875

:thumbup:

(:-})
Last edited by VTRDark on Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
==============================Enter the Darkside
john cresser

Re: How to Post Pictures using Photobucket

Post by john cresser »

Thankyou for your patience with me I will study it and have a go, once again thanks john c.is your clock correct it said 1 something and it was around 12.
Gazfirestormowner

Post by Gazfirestormowner »

Once again a good write up Carl I've finally cracked it lol

:thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :clap:
Storm in a teacup

Post by Storm in a teacup »

Many Thxs, managed to post a picture of my new bike using your helpful guide :)

Now how do I post it to my profile pic??
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Your avatar, yes you can link to it from Photobucket or upload direct from your desktop but it has to be the right size and dimensions. Have a look in your user control panel under the Profile tab and on the left hand sidebar you will see Edit Avatar. :thumbup:

darkember

Post by darkember »

I always use the bottom link within Photobucket & never had an issue. Using the left mouse on the link, it will say copied then just paste it into your post.
Virt

Post by Virt »

darkember wrote:I always use the bottom link within Photobucket & never had an issue. Using the left mouse on the link, it will say copied then just paste it into your post.
You have more than one mouse? I struggle using a keyboard and 1 mouse, how do you cope? :lol:
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

Hello CyberCarl: Guru of all things interwebby.

As much as I loathe opening new internet accounts, I have so far managed to steer well clear of Facebook, twitter and all these other places where everyone say it's a MUST to join. I don't need it.

This photobucket thing....

When I had me British bikes, the "owners" website allowed direct loading from my 'pooter. But, reading your post about Photobucket, I see that the VTR forum only loads photos direct from there. :(

That means I have to open an account with them to post pics here.. That's my email going to yet another interweb company, and photos that will forever stay in their bank, even if I cancel my account. Even if they say "we'll delete everything"....I know they don't.

So, hypothetically speaking, I open an account. You mention we can "password protect" the account on Photobucket. That, I understand, is so nobody "public" can view what I post? Yes?

If that's the case, then can I enquire as to how the VTR forum system will manage to upload a photo, if my photobucket account is set to private, and can't be viewed by an outside source. Does this mean I have to keep my account open to all, anywhere in the world?

I'm a pretty private person, and if the worst comes to the worst, then I'll stay away from the Bucket. Which grieves me slightly, as it would be good to post photos on the VTR forum pages.

Don't forget to write your reply on the back of a spare £50 note, and mail it to my address. :thumbup:

Dave.
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

http://tinypic.com
TinyPic® is a photo and video sharing service that lets you easily upload, link, and share your images and videos on message boards.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I have so far managed to steer well clear of Facebook, twitter and all these other places where everyone say it's a MUST to join. I don't need it.
I doff my hat too you sir. That is a huge sign of intelligence, or should that be individuality. :plainsmile I would add anything google to that list too for security and privacy.
Not OK, Google: Chromium voice extension pulled after spying concerns
Company agreed that a closed source module wasn't a good fit for an open source browser.
http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/06 ... content%29

OK Photobucket.
When I had me British bikes, the "owners" website allowed direct loading from my 'pooter. But, reading your post about Photobucket, I see that the VTR forum only loads photos direct from there. :(
Not only from Photobucket but any image host. Most forums wont allow the hosting of images on their forums as it would require a lot more server space to store them and uses up valuable bandwidth. Basically it would cost more to run. The only reason Photobucket is here is because I use that particular imaging hosting hosting site and wrote the guide.
That means I have to open an account with them to post pics here.. That's my email going to yet another interweb company, and photos that will forever stay in their bank, even if I cancel my account. Even if they say "we'll delete everything"....I know they don't.
Open an account with a false name and use a disposable email if you like. :wink:
https://mailinator.com/index.jsp

As for them keeping the pics Mmmm maybe, but in this case my guess is no, but google would have grabbed them unless the albums created are marked as private. You can either password protect or not. Password protecting gives a bit more security and is handy if you are emailing someone a link but a pain on the forum as it require folk to know the password. I have my forum pics set to private with no password. TBH if it's that important to keep secure don't post anywhere on the internet and that includes email.

The other option is called Public aka scary :wink: Now this is not what you want for security and privacy. This will put your pics anywhere. Google will have them and they will also be all over the Photobucket community. Saying that though google will have them off this forum anyway. But marking as private does stop the PB community and narrows down who can directly see your images.

Photobucket is actually a subscriber service after so many MB's of space on their servers is taken up by your images so not 100% free. Though it takes some time to get there and you have to upload a lot of images. I think I pay a £1 a month for the thousands of images I have on there. My point being unlike google who make money from selling your sole (I don't think I spelt that right), but with PB earning money from subscribers they are less likely to sell your details unlike free services. Nothing is free. If it advertised as free then they are selling your sole like google does.

Data collection/monitoring, email harvesting and the marketing and advertising industry is massive. One of the biggest businesses in the modern day world.

Do you use google. If you use google then your wombles already so I wouldn't worry. :lol: There's load of free image hosters and some only require an image uploaded and no other details. I can guarantee those images will be kept and used for whatever purpose they wish to do so.

If you have any pics you want uploaded then PM me and I will give you my email address. You can email them to me and I will upload to my account and post them to whichever thread you want. But that would require you giving me your email addy unless you find a way to hide it from me. I will see where emails come from :biggrin or simply use a disposable one.

The best way would be to have your own, for want of a better word, cloud server. wombles cloud what a load of marketing bull that is. Call it what it is, they have been around for many years.........NAS or quite simply a server.....a hard drive with OS system connected to the Net.

TheGingerBeardMan

CRIKEY, and wow. A mega detailed reply there O' Great Electronic Wizard!

Thank you for that.

My pooter runs Internet Explorer (IE 11), and Windows 7. That's about as much as this thing can handle.

The actual PCU is 7 years old and was never built for all this modern stuff. It struggles with video speeds n all.

Seriously, I'll post what this thing is running - and as you can see, it's WAY outdated!

OS Name: Windows 7 Ultimate
Version: 6.1.7601
System Type: x64-based PC
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+, 1.81 GHz, 1 Core, 1 Logical Processor
BIOS Version Date: American Megatrends Inc 0301. Date: 20-12-2007
SMBIOS Version: 2.5
Installed Physical Memory: 2 GB
Total Physical Memory: 1.87MB
Available Physical Memory: 785MB
Total Virtual Memory: 3.75GB
Available Virtual Memory: 1.87GB
Page File Space: 1.87GB

NVIDIA: Geoforce 6150SE nForce 430
Version: 307.83

The only thing I update is the Adobe Flashplayer, Shockwave and the java thingy wotsit. But, as seen by the processor speed, it doesn't make that much difference if I update stuff - the processor still struggles.

The computers overall performance test showed a Base Score of 3.2

Subscores:

Processor: 3.7
Memory (RAM): 4.7
Graphics: 3.2
Gaming Graphics: 3.2
Primary Hard Disc: 5.9

I have the drives partitioned into 5, and the total size is 500GB (tiny compared to what folk have these days)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for all the other stuff, Google (plain and basic Google) is set as my search provider, and a blank page is my homepage. Search Suggestions are turned off. I don't have Chrome, or cloud stuff (whatever the hell that is). As mentioned, I don't do facebook, no youtube account (I just watch videos), no twitter, no GMail, Diggit, Reddit, or Anything!

Oh, I DO have Skype! Forgot about that. But that's for video.

Me mobile phone is a Nokia N73, and I just use it for written txt messages. Its not the music version, and I think it has "snakes" as the game? I take photos with it, but never txt them out to other folk. I just download them to me pooter.

I refuse to get a modern tech phone that swipes and talks....and spies on yer every move. I watched a video of a guy with a Samsung mobile (new tech), and he demonstrated pulling the battery from it (the usual square thin type) and he peeled away the foil battery covering....to reveal an tracking antennae!!!

Your Samsung Phone Battery Is Tracking You...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDv7WxOeR1s

So...basically, I'll NEVER buy a new phone. When this one dies, I'll get hold of another outdated phone!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MacV2 occasionally gets a half arsed photo sent via personal email, so I know that whatever I send that way, the pic or data will be in somebodys' server somewhere.

I do realise that my avatar pic and whatever I post on this forum is available to anyone on the planet. But, I'm ok with just that, as I haven't posted my personal email anywhere publically as far as I' know. I have typed into google search bar various stuff about the VTR1000, (like specs and bearing sizes etc), and the VTR1000 forum shows up in the search list, along with a selection of past posts.

If I type in VTR1000 Firestorm, and select "images", then sure as, there are photos that these here nice forum folk have put onto these pages. So, yup, I realise that nothing is sacred anymore.

Although my pooter has hundreds of snaps taken of me VTR in various places, rallies, short runs, maintenance etc, they're nothing all that special as to post up - as everyone else has got the same pics. There's only so many times someone wants to see a new tyre, or a rusted starter motor.

The photos of the "pimp my ride" with the paint schemes and numberboards etc is all good to see tho - I like that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Y'know, I'm gonna stay as I am, and just confine my posts to text, unless I take a blindingly superb photo of something VTR related, and MUST share it. I shall probably ever remain an old fart when it comes to tech. A Neanderthal, stuck in the dark ages, unwilling to move forward.

As long as they still don't mind reading line upon line of waffled shoite, then I shall still have these outbursts of electronic verbal diarrhea.

Many thanks for the offer of posting stuff to you, then transferring in onto here, but yer safe man! Meester MacV2 offered the same, and I didn't think it was fair to do that to him either.

I ain't special (well, special needs perhaps), and so I agree with what others will think:

"If ya don't want to post pics, then don't post pics ya grumpy Scottish *******. No-ones forcing you too. So...put up or shut up GBM..."

Yeah. I agree.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, on that note (C sharp), I shall away. I can't thank you enough for the reply. Interesting (and bloody scary) reading.

Sometimes I'm glad I'm not all hip and technically advanced with a need to keep up with the Joneses.

That said, it IS a bugger sometimes when they say I can no longer view this or that, due to not upgrading software, or they will no longer be supporting my system due to them upgrading theirs...and so if I need to keep up (and boy, you REALLY do, cos yer missing out lad)....then I NEED to download this, that or the other.

Nah. Fuk 'em. I like living in the dark.

Respect and regards. :Beer1:

Dave.

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Crikey we have a new contender for someone that writes more than me. :lol: :lol:

I have a love hate relationship with technology. The problem is that most folk will use it without knowing the consequences and what goes on behind the scenes. I have a very good idea of what goes on. I wont say I know everything what goes on because the tech moves so fast and is vast. I struggle to keep up at times, so I hate it and will resist some things even if that means not joining, signing up, getting sucked in by peer pressure or whatever. On the other hand there is always going to be a teaser to entice one forward with the tech and one has to admire how clever it all is. And if one does not upgrade and move along, eventually one is forced into it. I also hate the fact that people are being forced into even owning a computer and using the internet or cybercafe for matter to deal with government stuff, bills, road tax, tax self assessments etc. Bring back the post offices that's what I say. :biggrin
That said, it IS a bugger sometimes when they say I can no longer view this or that, due to not upgrading software, or they will no longer be supporting my system due to them upgrading theirs...and so if I need to keep up (and boy, you REALLY do, cos yer missing out lad)....then I NEED to download this, that or the other.
The Adobe Flash plugin is a vulnerability in itself. Where ever possible use a HTML5 player to view vids. Even youtube have now made the change.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... dobe+flash

There's some particularly good links in the following thread you may be interested in. Check out startpage as a search engine. :wink:
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 18&t=35856
Oh, I DO have Skype! Forgot about that. But that's for video
Skype is owned by Microshite now. Technically it's not for video, it's a Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP). For privacy I would be more interested in SIP (session initiation protocol) and running my own server. This could possibly even interact with other packages like WebRTC apps and possibly Skype, though I think Microshite put the kibosh on that one when they took over.

The problem is an industry (innovation?) they either want to tie you to their platform or they innovate on a standard in order to add value (most times monetary, rather than usability, efficacy), so that more users will use their version of said standard and/or more companies may license their implementation in commercial implementations. It's all about commercial gains now :twisted: and is not about making life easier/more simplified for folk. Maybe the younger generation brought up with it, but although they are good and very knowledgeable using the tech, the majority tend to either not care or know what goes on behind the scenes and are nieve to it which is scary. They would not think twice about sharing all their personal info on the likes of social networking sites.

A lot folk will say that if they have nothing to hide then what's the problem. I'm sorry but that is total nievety to the bigger picture and they are fools.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nothing_to_hide_argument
Either that or they come under the I do not understand how it works box which I expect these companies, and governments for that matter, rely on to pull the wool over our eyes.

For more info on SIP Check out freepbx http://www.freepbx.org/ and/or 3cx http://www.3cx.com/ Some interesting stuff going on but it get a bit techie.

The first and most important thing I would do in your case, apart from abandon MS totally is abandon Explorer. Get a decent browser like Firefox or Opera. you may have guessed I am not a fan of Microsoft. In my book they are as bad a google and I hate to say it, but unfortunately it looks like Apple are going down the same route more and more so with each and every new OS update. I will stick with the devil I know. :wink:
I refuse to get a modern tech phone that swipes and talks....and spies on yer every move.
Yep that is the best way to go though they can still track you through your signal and using trigonometry, but better than a phone with GPS and wireless built in :plainsmile If you want totally secure then use a public payphone if you can find one, and one that is not vandalised.
Nah. Fuk 'em. I like living in the dark.
I wish I could go back but TBH if we are going to live in the western world/society with all this tech then we will be pushed into it. If we want change then we have to get rid of what they call so called (labelled) democracy as it's all bull. Right now we don't have a choice without cutting all ties and living in Thailand or somewhere. There was an interesting docu on TV a few years back where a guy tried to detach himself from society so he could not be found. It's an extremely difficult thing to leave legally unless you become a vagabond.

OK gone way off topic now. Here's another useful link for uploading images. Could be worth investigating and it does not require registration according to their privacy policy.
http://postimage.org/
(thanks bazza696)

TheGingerBeardMan

yeah yeah. Ok, so I don't half go on huh!? :roll:

Sorry. :cry:

Muchos useful information there, and interesting reading ahead with them thar supplied links. Which I will click on and try having a read of later, when my head is more able to digest some of the technical waffle in them.

And talking of waffling. I'll stop here, and let you know yer forum scribbling job is safe! Well, sort off. Perhaps. Maybe. Unless we have a "waffle off".

Best

Dave.