IS EVERYONE STILL USING INTERNET EXPLORER?

Please use this forum to ask our resident IT geeks advice.
sirch345
Site Admin

IS EVERYONE STILL USING INTERNET EXPLORER?

Post by sirch345 »

Hi,
Is anyone here using an alternative browser to Internet Explorer such as Opera or Firefox?
cheers Chris.
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

I'm using firefox and ie. Because of mozillas insistance that firefox sticks to the www3 convention, some sites dont work on it (like this place) so i keep ie as a backup.

Why you asking?
Rich.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Hi Cupasoop,
The reason I was asking is that i'm using Opera (due to big security issues with IE according to the experts) and like yourself (with Firefox) can't get everything to work with Opera so I have to revert back to IE which is defeating the object. This site works fine except for the picture gallery, the page opens but no thumbnail pictures actually download, so I was wondering if anybody using Opera had found away around this, is that the same for you with Firefox.
I would think as the demand grows more sites will become available on alternative browsers, thanks for your reply,
cheers Chris.
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Sorry Chris, never used Opera but the gallery works fine in firefox, although it cant load the front page on this site (http://www.vtr1000.org). Cant think why opera wouldnt load thumbnails, maybe the opera help forum would be another place to look.
Rich.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Hi Rich,
I think thats what i'll end up doing (asking them on the Opera forum) thanks for the advice. I did ask the administrater of this site and he said that the thumb nails of the pictures are 100*100 pixel images and wondered if Opera were running some sort of Ad- blocker of images that size, as he had seen software actually doing that on some sites.
What is the www3 convention all about? showing my lack of computer knowledge now! at a guess it has to be something to do with security, go on tell me i'm wrong,
cheers Chris.
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Fecked if I know, not my area. I think it's something to do with the way the pages are put together. In the old days :roll: pages used to be made up of loads of tables and i'm guessing the new generation of browsers dont like that. When I try the front page of this site with firefox I get a message about "layers", so think it's the way the page has been layed out. Might be talking s@#t though.

On a similar note, I believe the new verson of Netscape it the thing to get but I havnt tried it yet. Bloody works firewall :x
Rich.

iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

WHOOSH was the sound as that went over my head??
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
RQ

Post by RQ »

Oh, that's why......... I thought it was two new Japanese members of the site speaking in their home language. 8O
RQ.
The Stig of 2 wheels as well as 4 !
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Hi Rich,
No problem mate.
cheers Chris

I take it,you two Iggy and RQ are still using Internet Explorer!!!!!!
I can take a joke -----------------------
heads buried in the sand come to mind!! :D :D
cheers Chris
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Just ignore them two, you and me will still be going strong when their PC's have ground to a halt under the weight of all the viruses, ad-ware, spy-ware, pop-ups and all the other crap you invite in with IE. :D
Rich.

Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

iggy1966 wrote:WHOOSH was the sound as that went over my head??
I'm with you mate :?
RQ

Post by RQ »

Lets put it this way, when you were talking about IE, I felt proud that an Irish program was being used till I really thought about it........ :roll:

And the really ridiculous thing is that I go into the pc's reg edit and take out the adware crap monthly!! Bet you are cringing at the thought of what I could do in there!!! Hahahhaahhahaa
RQ.
The Stig of 2 wheels as well as 4 !
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

RQ said
I go into the pc's reg edit and take out the adware crap monthly!! Bet you are cringing at the thought of what I could do in there!!!
Oh baldrocks 8O
Does that mean the firewall soft ware and the new Corporate adition of norton I've just paid for are a waste of time on my new home pc?

Pete.l
iggy said
WHOOSH was the sound as that went over my head??
I,ll second that :oops:
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Just to bring this back to life, I've been using the new Netscape 7.2 for a couple of weeks now and it's a bit of alright. Still cant see the front page of this site but thats fine by me, never changes anyway. Never had any other problems apart from that (and no popups in 3 weeks :P ) Give it a go, it's free, you wont go back to IE.
Rich.

iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

I'm stuck with what they give me at work, the neandathols that work in the IT dept here have only just upgraded us from 486's!!! and are still trying to work out why there 5.5 ins floppy won't fit in the slot!! :lol: :lol:
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."