Windows 10 update.

Please use this forum to ask our resident IT geeks advice.
sirch345
Site Admin

Windows 10 update.

Post by sirch345 »

Has anyone updated to W10 Anniversary update yet :?:
It was released on 2nd Aug '16. It's a big one, 3GB and it over writes the present version apparently.

Did it go smoothly if you have :?:

I must admit I'm not over impressed with the compulsory updates in W10,

Chris.
Miztaziggy

Re: Windows 10 update.

Post by Miztaziggy »

Yeah I upgraded on Friday.
Doesn't seem much difference really. No issues upgrading.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Miztaziggy wrote:Yeah I upgraded on Friday.
Doesn't seem much difference really. No issues upgrading.

Cheers, that's good to know :)

Did you get the update through windows updates or get it yourself :?:

Chris.
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

I got it through windows update.

It shows up on my home pc but not my work Dell laptop. Apparently it could take a couple of weeks to roll out across all manufacturers.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Miztaziggy wrote:I got it through windows update.

It shows up on my home pc but not my work Dell laptop. Apparently it could take a couple of weeks to roll out across all manufacturers.

That was what I read, they're not going to roll it out to everybody all at once just in case there are any problems they need to rectify along the way.

I'm in no hurry for it, I'll have it when I get it via windows updates as you have on your home pc.

I see some have had problems with their system freezing when trying to install this update,

Chris.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Just installed it.Not much different but it seems to have made my pc faster. :)
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

alanfjones1411 wrote:Just installed it.Not much different but it seems to have made my pc faster. :)
That'll be due to you using Microsoft's Edge browser I'm guessing :?:

Chris.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Don't know but everything seems faster,emails,ebay all seems faster.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Can't use it on my Samsung i5 laptop, sadly it's not compatible with the display.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

When I upgraded it worked fine for a week, but tonight, when I boot up it goes to the Welcome screen, I put in my password, then it hangs.

I ended up having to roll back the update to get into Windows. Not sure if it was the update that was causing the issue or something else.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Miztaziggy wrote:When I upgraded it worked fine for a week, but tonight, when I boot up it goes to the Welcome screen, I put in my password, then it hangs.

I ended up having to roll back the update to get into Windows. Not sure if it was the update that was causing the issue or something else.
Interesting. I've still not been offered the Anniversary update yet, but I'm guessing I will soon.

Please do lets us know if you get anymore issues when W10 automatically updates again,

Chris.
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

I've had the anniversary and bcause of problems that i know nothing about i had to install it via a media tool or something. I had another one last week, and because of the time and problems of the anniversary I kept ignoring it until it just decided to do it and I couldn't re-schedule so had to let it do its thing. It got to 91% - a pretty common level it seems - after 22 hours and no further - so I pulled the plug (as I've had to do before). It restored to previous version but in the updater it now reckons i am up to date and no updates needed. Odd? Wonder what that last 9% was for. It bugs me that updates are not a straightforward process.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Win10 is horrid, really difficult to do any proper work on. I have it on a couple of machines because I have to support it but my main pc is win8.2 and the other two are win7. Not counting the servers.... I have a big electricity bill but my office is always nice and warm.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

but my office is always nice and warm.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeh I know that one. Between my computer, external drives etc and TV screen I can turn off the radiator.
==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

BigVeeGrin wrote:I've had the anniversary and bcause of problems that i know nothing about i had to install it via a media tool or something. I had another one last week, and because of the time and problems of the anniversary I kept ignoring it until it just decided to do it and I couldn't re-schedule so had to let it do its thing. It got to 91% - a pretty common level it seems - after 22 hours and no further - so I pulled the plug (as I've had to do before). It restored to previous version but in the updater it now reckons i am up to date and no updates needed. Odd? Wonder what that last 9% was for. It bugs me that updates are not a straightforward process.
Apologies for not updating this sooner.
I had a back-up copy of my O/S (operating system) Windows 10 on an old hard drive. Fed up with not knowing when the Anniversary W10 update was going to be offered to me through Windows Updates, I decided to take the plunge and try it out on the old hard drive manually. I like you used the Media Creation Tool, iirc it took around 3-1/2hrs in total, but that will vary according to internet speeds I imagine.
I'm pleased to report all went well with the update, I was quite surprised. I'm sorry you didn't have such luck.

Chris.