Snetterton 13th July - £99!!

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

Miztaziggy

Snetterton 13th July - £99!!

Post by Miztaziggy »

Just booked my brother and me in for this one. Awesome track, can't wait.

Monday 13th July.

Anyone else up for it?
Miztaziggy

Re: Snetterton 13th July - £99!!

Post by Miztaziggy »

Well meh...That was a mixed day today.

Arrived at 7am to find nearly all the garages full again. Tip for anyone going to Snetterton with warmers, camp over and get a garage early, very early.

We managed to find a bit of space in a garage and ran a 20m plug lead from the no limits garage to ours so we had some sockets. The weather looked nasty, and started raining at about 7.30am, so we set to work changing our tyres to the pilot roads. 40 minutes later, we had done, but it had almost stopped raining. During the briefing it stopped raining and the sun came out, track dried up.

By the time we were on for 1st session, it was almost dry, though didn't matter too much, the sighting laps in the novice group are so slow, and take up most of the 20 minutes, some of the people can't even keep up with the instructor, so you end up with a massive gap sometimes between people, and you can't overtake during first 3 sighting laps. Seriously, I wonder why some of them do track days, they should be out for a Sunday drive in their old banger.

We rushed back in and changed the wheels, put the Supercorsas on the tyre warmers and got done just in time to go out for second session 40 minutes later, only this time all hot and bothered after rushing to change 2 pair of wheels.

2nd session was mint, it was really, really noticeable the difference in grip between these tyres and the PR3s. I used my lap timer, and found I had done a best of 2:40 with the PR and a 2:22 with the Supercorsa.
The PR in the dry was slipping around when banked over and accelerating out of corners. Not much, but I could feel it squirming, and I could feel the front trying to find grip when braking hard into a corner and tipping in. It didn't inspire much confidence to go faster. The SC on the other hand felt perfect, no slipping or sliding so I was pretty happy with that.

The last 2 minutes of this 2nd session and it started to bloody rain again. Not heavy, just a really light drizzle, so we left the tyres on, waited 40 mins for 3rd session and went out again to see what it was like, and it was like and ice rink. It wasn't wet, just a little damp, but so slippery, so I did 1 lap then went back to the garage.

It was the same for the 4th session, we couldn't be bothered to change our tyres, as we thought it kept drying out, but it was wet again, so we sat it out and had lunch.

After lunch, it was definitely wet, and everyone was switching to proper wet tyres, so we switched ours back, again!!

In the 5th session, I overtook the guys on proper wets, but I had the back end slide out on me twice and Tim once. He really didn't like it, so pretty much called it a day at that point and didn't ride for the rest of the day. I went out in the 6th session as it was wet but a dry line was forming, and quite enjoyed it, though it was very slow.

We both sacked it off before the 7th session and just set off home, as we couldn't be bothered fannying around going at a snail's pace, risking it slipping out and crashing.

All in all, pretty meh. I bet the photos are pretty fiddler.
Glad it was cheap at only £99. I'll be a bit more fked off if Sliverstone is wet in a couple of weeks as that was £165.
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Oh, and if anyone's interested in using that lap timing app, here's the data from it for lap timing:

https://www.motorlap.com/miztaziggy/sessions/246903#

I only recorded first 2 sessions, didn't bother with wet ones.
I had my phone under back seat, next time I think I need it in a better place, as it doesn't look like it got the accuracy on the GPS signal.

If you click the link above, then press the little blue button in the top right that looks like 2 graph lines, you can see the overlay on the track showing braking points etc:

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Sounds like a mixed bag day and you brought the bike back intact.

That's an impressive difference between the two sets of tyres .
I picked a good set of scrubs up from Malory last time .
Looking forward to trying them and the app .
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

lloydie wrote:Sounds like a mixed bag day and you brought the bike back intact.

That's an impressive difference between the two sets of tyres .
I picked a good set of scrubs up from Malory last time .
Looking forward to trying them and the app .
What did you get?

From the tyre support guy?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk