Silverstone Weds 5th August

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

Miztaziggy

Silverstone Weds 5th August

Post by Miztaziggy »

Just also booked this one for my brother and me.

It's £165 and all groups available.

Does anyone else fancy doing this one?
Miztaziggy

Re: Silverstone Weds 5th August

Post by Miztaziggy »

At the circuit, looking dry, bring it on!!!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Get a few fast laps done to remind you what you will be missing this weekend :D
AMcQ
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

I don't think I'll be able to go THAT fast round here, not like those beautiful Scottish roads.

Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Boom what a fking track. Definitely best yet.

Managed a 2.41 lap so far. Not bad. Will get under 2.40 today I hope.

Fastest of the fast group on YouTube seem to be doing 2.23 to 2.30, so definitely not too far off. 3 more sessions to beat that :)

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I had an hour for lunch today in Silverstone (the village) had I of seen this I'd of popped in :-(
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Would have been good if you had Lloydie :(

Haven't had much time since I got back with work and all, but I uploaded the videos the other day, this is the best of them, it's the 5th session of 7. I start right behind my brother (the guy on the blue / white GSXR with black leathers and white helmet). We spent most of the day chasing each other through the pack of inters trying to see where each other can improve. It's a good system I think, he found he was catching me through Maggots, and I was pulling away on most other bits. I followed him and managed to get much faster through Maggots, and found I was much faster through Abbey to Arena. Tim then got faster at this section by the end of the day.

Lap times came down from 2.50 ish in first session to 2.37 ish in last session.

The lap timing app shows sector times, and shows an 'optimal lap time' made up of best sector times. We had it down to 2.35s which I was very happy with.

Overall the day was mint. It's definitely my favourite track. Very fast, very wide, very forgiving in the corners if you take the wrong line, but surprisingly physical and tiring, and quite hard to learn.

We got lucky, as it seems Silverstone is unlike any of the other tracks I've done, in that they red flag any incident, however minor. It's a pain in the butt, most of the time, it's a case of come in, wait in the pit lane again, then go out, but it wastes a good 5 minutes of an already short session.

As I say we got lucky, we had only 1 red flag in inters, there were only a couple in the fast group which was unusual, but, even more unusually, there were red flags in every session for the novice group. Most sessions had 2 red flags. I bet their track time was more than cut in half over the course of the entire day. I would have been fuming if I had been in that group, they were all really daft crashes too, people going straight on at corners etc.

This was our first time in inters, and I was surprised by how slow it was, after the first session, my first thought was it was full of 'pussies'. It was only just fast than the novice group.
If you can be bothered watching the video below, you'll see what I mean, most of the other guys on the track look like they're going backwards / look like stationary cones. There were a couple of people that were a good challenge to get past which was fun, but only 2 people that overtook us and stayed in front all day, plus a couple of instructors.

Still, I think inters group is the way forward for us, as even the slow guys mostly kept on line, making it easier to predict and overtake. We should probably book fast group, I think we would be about mid pack in terms of speed and lap times, but, I don't want the hassle of having people trading paint / cutting down the inside and standing me up. So we'll stay in inters for now.

Anyway, the video, I overtake my brother a couple of times, to show him bits he can improve, then slow down to let him back in front. There's another guy with white helmet, black leathers and white boots that was quite quick we spend a while chasing in the middle part of the video. He was out braking us into the corners, but then slower through the corners, which was quite frustrating.

[youtube][/youtube]
TravisZack

Post by TravisZack »

I had a little panic there at 1:55 haha, looks a good circuit, very fast and lots of powering round long sweeping bends :thumbup:
See what you mean about the pace though, doesn't look far off novice with the groups of traffic and people riding round upright, not many appeared to be really trying.

Tim looks to have improved.

Have you tried anything to get rid of that buzz/vibration in the vid? An external mic under the seat worked for me but it depends what camera you're using, and how much it bothers you :)
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Looks like fun :-) next year .
Steve6088

Post by Steve6088 »

Looks like a great circuit! I need to find the money to get a couple of trackdays in next month.

What have you got planned?
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

TravisZack wrote:I had a little panic there at 1:55 haha, looks a good circuit, very fast and lots of powering round long sweeping bends :thumbup:
See what you mean about the pace though, doesn't look far off novice with the groups of traffic and people riding round upright, not many appeared to be really trying.

Tim looks to have improved.

Have you tried anything to get rid of that buzz/vibration in the vid? An external mic under the seat worked for me but it depends what camera you're using, and how much it bothers you :)
Lol. Yeah, I was trying to get past Tim to show him he could do that left corner much faster. Cut it a bit close I think :crazy: Tim said from his point of view, it was OK though and didn't worry him. As you say, lots of really slow guys on there. I think there were lots of people that were a little bit quicker, but were too scared to overtake, hence the build up of traffic.

The best bit about Silverstone was the long sweeping bends, and tipping in at 90+, powering out at 130+, especially on the curve / straight from Luffield / Woodcote to Copse. Awesome :thumbup: :thumbup:

Tim has really improved since getting rid of the ZX6 and getting the GSXR1000. We're both about the same speed now which is really good for a good race.

I have tried an under seat mic, and it does work, but I forgot to take it. I usually just mute the sound before I upload it as it annoys the crap outta me. I forgot this time.

Steve6088 wrote:Looks like a great circuit! I need to find the money to get a couple of trackdays in next month.

What have you got planned?
Not very much planned :cry: :cry: :cry:

Same reason really I can't do Scotland this weekend, I have pretty much run out of days off work for the year after an insane number of stag dos and weddings for some odd reason!

So far we've done Oulton, Snetterton twice and Silverstone.

We only really have the option of weekend ones now, and sadly there aren't many available. I am totally stacked out at work with meetings all over the country for pretty much the whole of August to make things worse, so can't take my last day before 28th Aug anyway.

Options we are considering now are:

Cadwell on August Bank Hol Monday

Rockingham on Sat 29th Aug

Snetterton on Sat 5th or Sun 6th Sept

Possibly using my last holiday day for Donington on Tuesday 8th Sept.