'Beginner' track day @ Donington 26th August

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

Miztaziggy

'Beginner' track day @ Donington 26th August

Post by Miztaziggy »

If anyone on here fancies a track day, but is worried about crashing, then this might be for you. I remember before I started I was worried about crashing and hence never booked one. Once I had done my first, I realised what many people realise....riding on the track is MUCH safer than riding on the road, and much more fun.

No Limits are organising a cut price day at Donington, run at below half capacity for road bikes only.

No track bikes, no daytime only MOT and no tyre warmers allowed.

In theory the 'novice' group should mostly be first / second time riders, however in practice, the fast and inter groups book up well in advance, so lots of 'fast' riders are in the novice group. This should be a much more gentle pace in all groups I imagine, without the guy on a track bike trying to jam it down your inside as you tip into a corner.

I'm not planning on doing this one with myself and my brother, we don't fancy it without the tyre warmers, but if there are a few on here that want to do this, I might book in too as it will make for a good day with the banter and what not, like Mallory Park last year.

So, does anyone that came to Mallory last year (or anyone else) fancy this?

AMCQ?
Lloydie?
CK?
Gaz?
Stuart?

BTW it's £139 as opposed to the usual cost for Donington of £169.

Note also that noise limit is 98 dB. That is quite low. My GSXR 1000 with standard can is 92. My brother's GSXR 1000 with Yoshi can is 100 dB (he's going to need a dB killer). If you're on a storm, you'll need standard exhausts or baffles in.
lloydie

Re: 'Beginner' track day @ Donington 26th August

Post by lloydie »

I'm up for this ,
See what funds I have left after Devon
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

I spotted this on FB just before lloyd tagged me in it and it sounds interesting and any excuse to do donni :thumbup:

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

that looks interesting
AMcQ
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

I spoke to my brother earlier, he's thinking the same as me, not right up for doing it just the 2 of us because of the tyre warmer ban, but, with a good crowd from here, it'll be a cracking day with good banter. So far we have 5 possible (me, my brother, Lloydie, CK and AMCQ) so should be worth booking no?

Remember they're running it at under half capacity AND at a discount, so I imagine it will book up quite quickly. There are a lot of comments on the Facebook post already.

I think it would be a good idea to book this quite early, get together a list of those up for it and get a group booking.

Would it be worthwhile setting a deadline for say a week's time and then having everyone make their mind up by that point?
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

What's wrong with not being allowed tyre warmers? Me and Al were nearly flat out first lap at mallory. I was fine but can't speak for Al :lol: we all know what happened

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

But 3 groups all novice !!!
Not to sure myself now
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

Man up princess. It'll be fine. We will just be the fastest on track. You'll love it after inters at mallory on the bird, will make you feel quick :lol: :biggrin

Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Ckennedy wrote:What's wrong with not being allowed tyre warmers? Me and Al were nearly flat out first lap at mallory. I was fine but can't speak for Al :lol: we all know what happened

If we did this one, we will just stick our spare wheels on as we've both got a pair with brand new Michelin PR3s on for road and wet track use.

As for tyre warmers...try them, and you'll see :D You won't want to go back.

My brother and I used to think we were 'balls to the wall' early on.
First time at Snetterton was mint. It was really obvious from the start who was using warmers and who not.

We just did Oulton park again last week.
Last year we videoed our last few sessions, and I timed the laps from that. We did a 2.20 at best.

This year, we did the same and videoed it, and found we did a 1.58 at best, a 2.06 at worst. I honestly think most of that was confidence on the tyres, knowing they're hot from the first lap, no fannying around warming them up in the back of your mind.
lloydie wrote:But 3 groups all novice !!!
Not to sure myself now
They're running 3 groups, not all novice.
There's novice....novice / inter......inter.

I reckon we all go for the fastest one, inter? We'll probably be fastest in that group, but it won't be that bad. Donington is a wide track and it'll be easy to get past.
Ckennedy wrote:Man up princess. It'll be fine. We will just be the fastest on track. You'll love it after inters at mallory on the bird, will make you feel quick :lol: :biggrin

Have you done Mallory again yet? How did it go?
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

We're there tomorrow:-)
This is sounding fun
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Have a good day tomorrow then lads. Hope the weather holds. Make sure you get your tyre pressures right if it's hot, otherwise they'll overheat and get really slippy

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Steve6088

Post by Steve6088 »

Put me down for this :)
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Miztaziggy wrote:Have a good day tomorrow then lads. Hope the weather holds. Make sure you get your tyre pressures right if it's hot, otherwise they'll overheat and get really slippy

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
I'll be going out in the first session with road pressures and adjust them back down to that as soon as I get in .
The bird runs 42/42 tho I like them at 40 !
As for the weather it's looking great all day :-)
budd

Post by budd »

I quite fancy this as I'd like to do a track day but was a bit worried how'd I'd get on with my leg issues and have been put off by the thought of me wobbling about getting in the way of other bikes going at near race speeds but this sounds just the ticket, I'll give it some thought, might need a OE can for the APE though.
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .