Mallory park inter 3/7/15 videos

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

lloydie

Re: Mallory park inter 3/7/15 videos

Post by lloydie »

popkat wrote:What lap time was your best on the old Bird ?
1:04s :-(
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

Ok - I've just watched the videos. You mean to tell me, that you took that new bike onto a track?

Are you mad!? I mean, s'ok if it was an actual track prepped, pre-road MOT failed and rebuilt bike. But, I've seen the photos of yer new blackbird, and, well..yer as daft as a box of frogs.

What happens (heaven forbid) if you stuffed it in, or lost it on a corner? How the heckers do you ride home again? Do you arrive with mates and a van with tools and new plastics etc? Who pays for the repairs? Will the insurance peoples tell you to go forth and multiply if you do wreck it, or do you pay extortionate premiums to allow for "race use".

Yes, it's a big bike, but so are the prices for plastics. I've asked it before, and I'll ask it again...

Are you mad? :eek2

Hmm...Maybe to go faster next time, take the hard panniers and top box off :lol:
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
popkat

Post by popkat »

lloydie wrote:
I won't tell you what I lapped on my 50hp 1980's Yam XJ600 then :wink:

That's not too bad on a sports tourer with sport touring tyres that have superseded twice, I can see where you can make another second and half easy, with more grip I recon you could knock 3 seconds off.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

I think lloyd was heading for 1.04 laps when the bike was going well. I was running around the 1min lap mark but when I came off I was a good 2-3 seconds ahead by the time I entered edwiners. Was fricking flying I was.

Yeah back end spun up. Bike spun round low side, I went over backwards twice smacking my head on the kerb but not touching down till the grass.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Session 3 added where ck crashed out .
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

popkat wrote:
lloydie wrote:
I won't tell you what I lapped on my 50hp 1980's Yam XJ600 then :wink:

That's not too bad on a sports tourer with sport touring tyres that have superseded twice, I can see where you can make another second and half easy, with more grip I recon you could knock 3 seconds off.

I know where I could too but I was managing tyres and brake temps as they kept overheating.
If it had better brakes and tyres and rear sets I recon I could get it into the minute laps .

Tho I will on piggy next year :-)

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

TheGingerBeardMan wrote:Ok - I've just watched the videos. You mean to tell me, that you took that new bike onto a track?

Are you mad!? I mean, s'ok if it was an actual track prepped, pre-road MOT failed and rebuilt bike. But, I've seen the photos of yer new blackbird, and, well..yer as daft as a box of frogs.

What happens (heaven forbid) if you stuffed it in, or lost it on a corner? How the heckers do you ride home again? Do you arrive with mates and a van with tools and new plastics etc? Who pays for the repairs? Will the insurance peoples tell you to go forth and multiply if you do wreck it, or do you pay extortionate premiums to allow for "race use".

Yes, it's a big bike, but so are the prices for plastics. I've asked it before, and I'll ask it again...

Are you mad? :eek2

Hmm...Maybe to go faster next time, take the hard panniers and top box off :lol:
Mad yes I'm a wing short of a chicken !
If I'd binned it then who knows
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Session 4 added
popkat

Post by popkat »

A mate had a blackbird he took on trackdays, it had Nitron shock, Maxton springs in the front, high level pipes and rearsets, he wore about 7" up the righthand side fairing in an inverted V shape, grinding it through corners, it went well, he highsided it too though at one point, but when he wasn't crashing he was pretty quick on it. he also used to do 145mph stand up wheelies and 100mph rolling stoppies, still had the linked brakes too, bloody nutter :lol:

And I'll save that XJ lap time for a bit of banter in a couple weeks :P

My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

The bird is capable of more but not in standard trim , I'm sure the brake pads in it are cheap nasty crap .
Look forward to the banter :-) Bob
popkat

Post by popkat »

Just watched session 4, the instructors line through Gerrads is much better, this where I said I can see you can make time, also your shortshifting a lot, holding the gear would be faster.. But you weren't on the best rubber so I recon you did the right thing and stayed safe :thumbup:
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

In just under 10mins you will all see the session when I nearly crashed and then did crash :(

Enjoy it as it fricking hurts!!
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

Took a little longer to process that I thought. but here it is. Me crashing after some pretty quick times

popkat

Post by popkat »

That last lap looked good, like it was going to be your best. Would be easy to say too much throttle too soon but Couldn't really see what you did wrong. Aprilia's have good traction, what tyres and pressures were you running ?
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

popkat wrote:That last lap looked good, like it was going to be your best. Would be easy to say too much throttle too soon but Couldn't really see what you did wrong. Aprilia's have good traction, what tyres and pressures were you running ?
To be honest im not sure on the tyre pressures so I would have said it was that which caused it. I know they were lower than normal road pressures when cold but honestly I don't know. They felt fine up until that session where I was certainly on the ball and I reckon that just put to much heat into the tyres making them to hard and that is what did it. If you were to study the footage the throttle comes on around the same time as always so I wouldn't have put it to that.

Lloyd thinks I was very close to the tyres limits though even if the pressure was right. The way I was going in that session and with the rest of the day to go I could certainly have gone quicker. I had it in me and I think Lloyd could see it too. Just a shame I didn't get chance to find out :(