Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

lloydie

Re: Mallory park inter 3/7/15 videos

Post by lloydie »

ImageImageImageImageImage
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

love those stills............ new avatar?
AMcQ
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

I was thinking maybe the 3rd one down? Looks like we're both taking a brake :lol:

I was thinking of a still of when I come pasted lloyd coming out of Gerrards banked right over :thumbup:

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Ckennedy wrote:
popkat wrote:That last lap looked good, like it was going to be your best. Would be easy to say too much throttle too soon but Couldn't really see what you did wrong. Aprilia's have good traction, what tyres and pressures were you running ?
To be honest im not sure on the tyre pressures so I would have said it was that which caused it. I know they were lower than normal road pressures when cold but honestly I don't know. They felt fine up until that session where I was certainly on the ball and I reckon that just put to much heat into the tyres making them to hard and that is what did it. If you were to study the footage the throttle comes on around the same time as always so I wouldn't have put it to that.

Lloyd thinks I was very close to the tyres limits though even if the pressure was right. The way I was going in that session and with the rest of the day to go I could certainly have gone quicker. I had it in me and I think Lloyd could see it too. Just a shame I didn't get chance to find out :(
Things change through the day. It looks like blue skies, I imagine quite warm, your first session at 09.00 would be quite cool, warming up for 10.00 and more so for 11.00. The track will have been warming up as the morning went on, meaning you would need to drop your pressures a little.

In the Donington track day post I said:
Miztaziggy wrote:Have a good day tomorrow then lads. Hope the weather holds. Make sure you get your tyre pressures right if it's hot, otherwise they'll overheat and get really slippy

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Have a read through this, I found it really useful and informative:

http://biketrackdayshub.com/motorcycle-tyre-wear-guide/

I have just had another look at that picture of your tyre on Facebook, this time on a PC so a big screen. It doesn't actually look as bad as I thought it did on my phone. It barely looks like the tyre is getting used on the edge, it's not bobbling up or getting those little wavy lines like this after Oulton:

Really hard to say what could have caused that crash. It didn't sound as though you were pushing the engine / throttle too hard.

It could be that before you came to that corner, someone had dripped some oil there and you hit it? In that case, perhaps someone else had an accident there later on?

It could be that the tyre was over inflated and the surface overheated, though there isn't much evidence of that on the picture of it. If that was the case, buy a pressure gauge and check them.

It could be that you just had an old tyre that's dried out and lost its grip? Check the DOT on the tyre. It's a 4 digit number on the side wall. It'll be something like '1314', meaning made 13th week in year 14.

It could be that you got to the limit of what that particular brand of tyre can do? What tyre is it? How old is it?
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

Pretty new metzler m7rr. Only a couple of months old at most.

Wouldn't have thought I'd reached the tyres limits but maybe I did?

It was pretty warm to begin with and only got warmer. I would have said tyre pressures were the cause. Hey Ho live and learn. In the process of turning those road fairings into race ones now :devil:

I'll check that link out and keep hold of it :thumbup:

popkat

Post by popkat »

I've not tried the M7RR on track, they're pretty good on road and I recon they'd be ok on track to a point. Your Aprilia has quite aggressive power delivery and Mallory's tight chicanes and hairpin ask for good grip as you want to power on hard. I think you may need a more dedicated track tyre if your really going to push on, Supercorsa or Metzeler equivalent, might be an idea to get some good scrubs as they're much cheaper. Keep the M7's for a damp or wet day as they're supposed to be a good in the rain (for a sports road tyre) And make sure you set your pressures correct for the track it Is important.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

Was wondering about some scrubs or even just getting some slicks myself. Shall have to wait till next year though I think.

It isn't as entertaining but here is the 1st session footage
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Ckennedy wrote:Was wondering about some scrubs or even just getting some slicks myself. Shall have to wait till next year though I think.

It isn't as entertaining but here is the 1st session footage
I thought about slicks, but read an article and spoke to a guy (a guy I now buy scrubs from) about it, and got totally put off.

It's a long story, but, bottom line is unless you're challenging at the top of the fast group, slicks will slow you down as you just won't keep the heat in them.

I now use Supercorsa scrubs, about £100 - 120 a pair depending on how many laps they've done. I raved about how good they are on my post about the last Snetterton and Oulton days I did. They're that good, I went from a 2.20 at Oulton last year, to a 1.58 this year, on the same bike. That's a massive difference.

And as Popkat says, make sure you set the pressures. It really is important for max grip.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

9:34 :-@ you nutter
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

lloydie wrote:9:34 :-@ you nutter
That where the front hit the grass as I got devils elbow a bit tight and it jumped out at me? :lol: :roll:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

you don't want to crash at Devils Elbow, no run-off there!
AMcQ
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Session 4.1 added
macdee

Post by macdee »

sorry to hear you droped the bike Ck
i have watched the video and the rear end seemed to be sliding even before you hit the power
hope you get it sorted
keep er lit
told you not to but oh no you knew better
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

glad you are OK chris, need some practice picking the bike up though 8O
AMcQ
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

I hadn't noticed that macdee. I shall have to watch it back to see what you mean.

Yeah your right AL. She was heavier than I was expecting. Didn't help the bar snapped so that made picking up slightly harder