Snetterton Mon 28th Sept - Open Pit Lane

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

Miztaziggy

Snetterton Mon 28th Sept - Open Pit Lane

Post by Miztaziggy »

Anyone up for this?

It's cheaper than a track day, and you get as much or as little track time as you like.

I think these open pit lane days are mostly fast group types of people turning up, they stipulate no novices, but if you've done Snetterton before, you should be fine.
Miztaziggy

Re: Snetterton Mon 28th Sept - Open Pit Lane

Post by Miztaziggy »

Thought I would update this for future reference in case anyone's thinking of booking one of these:

First MSVT run a great day. We got a long red flag (2 got taken off in ambulances) but they kept everyone well informed for the hour or so we couldn't ride.

Second, an open pit lane isn't anywhere near as scary as I thought it would be.
I had always imagined it would be full of race teams and top end fast group riders.
In fact, it was a mix of a few obvious novices, a lot of mid range inters, a few faster group riders and 2 or 3 really fast riders.

MSVT are allowed 66 on track at once, and they limit the booking to 81 for the day, meaning the track is pretty much always open, as at least half or more of the people are in the garages at any one time, the track is pretty much empty.
Also, Snetterton has limited garage space. There's 23 garages, each with only 4 plug sockets and 2 16A sockets. On a normal No Limits day, they book 180 odd people on, meaning not everyone gets into a garage, and not everyone can use the plugs for their tyre warmers. On this OPL day there were unused garages so everyone was more relaxed about it.

The open pit lane format is really good, maximum track time, no messing around or waiting, no pressure to go balls to the wall every session, everyone seems more relaxed.

I would definitely recommend it to anyone thinking of a track day, it's much better than a sessioned day, and it only cost £109 which is cheaper than a track day anyway.

As for our day, it was really good. Weather was perfect, meaning we got to try and break our best lap times. Previous time out at Snetterton we had 2:19s, this time, I had a few laps in the 2:13s so very pleased.