Cadwell today in the wet + free wet tyres

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

So second attempt at Cadwell today after last time got rained off completely :eh: Ended up being wet again all day. This time, fortunately, they let us out on track as it wasn't ponding as badly as last time.

I actually found that I enjoyed it just as much as a dry day in the end. I loved the wet tyres, so much grip. Not one slip or even a hint of a slip all day. I managed to get both knees down on most of the bends other than the old hairpin, and I only got overtaken once all day too, and even then I got him back :D

Last time we did Cadwell a couple of years ago, I posted the video to Youtube with a timer on it, and found we were doing 2:08 / 2:10 sort of lap times. Used the GPS lap timer today and found I was doing 2:08 in the pouring rain with standing water on the track and 2:03 when it wasn't raining, so I am well impressed with the tyres. No tyre warmers used, had them at 30/30psi and found I could give them the beans from the off, they would power wheelie down the straights from lap 1 over standing water. Pretty impressive how they can do that.

Anyway, I am going to get a new pair, as I reckon with the amount of wet days I will do, they'll last years, so a cheap investment.
So I have a pair of Pirelli Diablo Rain for anyone that might be doing track days in the near future and might get rain. Free to a good home :)
P.S for anyone using wets don't use standard tyre warmers on them as they overheat them. They're only supposed to be warmed to 40 degrees, not 80/90 as your normal warmers will do.
lloydie

Re: Cadwell today in the wet + free wet tyres

Post by lloydie »

Wets yes please ,
I'd like to give them a try [THUMBS UP SIGN]
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Knees down in the wet, ya big balled bugger. aim crap in the wet but probably wouldn't fall off, my butt would be puckering down on the seat to much. it would be on its side with me still clamped on it.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Impressed, how times have changed from they days you considered bailing out on the 1st OP Storm Scotland because of the bad forecast.
AMcQ
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Ok Lloydie, you're welcome to collect, im up in Yorkshire, or, im happy to drop off when im in the area. You're in the Midlands aren't you?
I have a meeting in Sheffield on Friday, or Burton on Trent on Wednesday next week, bishop Stortford on Thurs next week, or Great Barr on the 29th if any of those suit?

Big twin, wasn't big balls, was stupidity, and by mistake first time, my visor fogged up with all the rain and I couldn't see very well, went into a corner way too fast and it just happened. Made me realise it was easier than I had imagined.

Al, yeah I remember that, however i still think there's a big difference between road riding in the wet on shitty road tyres vs a track on proper wets. One little slip on the track, worst case a slide on the grass, on the road, it's an oncoming car....

Just going back to visor, mine fogged up like a right cnut all day with the rain. It's a pin lock anti fog, but somehow the rain was getting between the visor and the pinlock. Made it next to impossible to see after 3 or 4 laps. Honestly, at points today I was riding round not able to see much more than the 2 white lines marking the edge of the track. I nearly went into the back of 1 guy as I skinned him going up into coppice.
Any tips for not getting the fog or better seal on pin lock?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

if i go out purposely in the wet i use anti mist spray which appears to work for me, you just spray inside and then wipe over. I've had the same bottle for about 10 years so says how much wet riding i do eh!. My daughter uses pledge inside her lid and she says that works.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Re pinlock... It's steaming up as it's not sealing properly...Take the pinlock off, clean both it & the inside of visor. Now pop the pins out & turn them slightly, they are a small cam shape so you can adjust them...Push/click them back in & refit the Pinlock. When you let the visor retake its origional shape you should be able to see the silicone seal squished against the visor all the way round...If not you have a gap...take it off & adjust again...Can take a few goes to get it right.

Tip... to pop the pins out uses a penny to press against them...Pin/Penny flat/Thumb... :thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Awesome write up Ziggy, must be a good feeling when you realise how much you have improved and gaining confidence in your set up :clap:

One of my buddies had an off at Cadwell recently, he's been left with broken collar bone, ribs, wrist and head trauma (his text's don't make much sense!) But he has booked his next trackday already and it's helping him focus on his healing & bike setup. It's a "man's track" apparently (excuse the sexism).

Glad you had a wicked time, despite the rain :thumbup:

Here for a good time, not a long time.
Jamie :wave:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

My pinlock has started to fox up too now , thought you just had to buy a new one , I'll give it a clean and test it ,thanks Mac .

Chris , burton on Trent be best mate ,thank you :-)
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

lloydie wrote:My pinlock has started to fox up too now , thought you just had to buy a new one , I'll give it a clean and test it ,thanks Mac .

Chris , burton on Trent be best mate ,thank you :-)
Ah well if you have a Fox in ya lid then their's ya problem...I recomend a 22. Hollow Point Slug straight to the skull...

BTW be careful cleaning the Pinlock insert they scratch very easily, tiny bit of washing up liquid dash of warm water & very very gently side to side motion with a finger. Rinse off with warm water, shake of the excess then allow to dry...do not wipe it dry it will scratch it...But I'd still remove the fox first... :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Thanks Mac , no doubt I'll fox it up !
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Jamoi wrote:One of my buddies had an off at Cadwell recently, he's been left with broken collar bone, ribs, wrist and head trauma (his text's don't make much sense!) But he has booked his next trackday already and it's helping him focus on his healing & bike setup. It's a "man's track" apparently (excuse the sexism).
Ouch!

There are a couple of corners at Cadwell that look like prime corners for a high side in the dry. One being the right hander after the old hairpin, one being the right hander onto the back straight, one being the bottom of the goose neck.

Mac, thanks for the tips, I tried adjusting those pins on the day, I took off the pinlock and cleaned it a few times, it looked sealed, but it just kept misting up.

At the end of the day, my brother's helmet (also pinlock) did the same thing.

I'm looking into some anti mist spray like the muc off anti fog stuff. Might put a layer of that on the inside of the visor before putting the pinlock in to see if that helps.
Anyone tried that?
If not, maybe I just need to buy a new pinlock, but I don't understand why. I installed the pinlock into the visor when I first bought it, before use.
This was the first time I used it in the rain, and I haven't removed or messed with it before the track day. Not sure how it could have been damaged or whatever is causing it to mist.

Lloydie - I will PM you my number, let me have yours and I'll bring those tyres with me to Burton next week. Meeting starts at 10.30, finishes approx 2.30pm.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Pm sent [THUMBS UP SIGN]
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I gave mine a wash but it's still fogging up on the inside (face side) do they used a coating on them ?
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

I think the pinlock itself is made of something that won't fog up. I think the idea is that it forms a seal against the visor and therefore the air between the visor and pinlock can't steam up the visor.

I guess if rain or moisture gets under that seal, it'll mist up....I don't understand how it's getting in the seal though.

I'm thinking of just spraying a coating on the visor itself and refitting the pinlock, hoping that way it gets double protection for next time, as I am at Snetterton again in a couple of weeks for an open pit lane, and it'll no doubt be wet again :cry: