Track Day / School advice

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

SmileyVTR

Track Day / School advice

Post by SmileyVTR »

OK, been off biking for ages, got my precious VTR last June and slowly got my confidence/speed up and lean angles down - but I'm still way off where I left my CBR6/ZX6 in 2002.

So - what's people's recommendations (I need it to be price-concious due to house/garden revamp this year):
Quick blitz at a School (Ron Haslam incl CBR6 for half day; Brit SBK School is on own bike but full day - both c£300) which includes good tuition,
or plump straight for a track day (as novice, £60 now/evening - £150 into year)?

Any school recommendations?
If I were to do a track day (nr Nott'm, and yes I could read website bumf), any advice? (just turn up and ride? not need tyre warmers at this stage?)

ANYTHING REALLY!!

:confused
Ckennedy

Re: Track Day / School advice

Post by Ckennedy »

Find a group of riders ot even just 1 or 2 that you can go riding with that are experienced and able to get round corners quick. Doesn't cost you anything extra and you have good fun doing it. Stop at mc donalds for a drink and chat and go riding a bit more.

Did me a world of good. I learnt a lot (granted it took time, wasn't over night) and then when it came to getting faster and faster then it was a case of getting on the track. These track schools may be good but I don't think much can beat just getting out there with a few good riders and following them.

If your in novice for track day you won't need tyre warmers. Again good to go with more experienced friends and the instructors are always there to answer questons

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

I was going to do the Ron Haslam day but in the end decided against it and went straight to a normal day at Cadwell. Glad I did now as it was really good.

My wife did a Ron Haslam day and she really enjoyed it. It's quite short, only 3 sessions for around £200, but, you're on their bike with their kit. They never really seemed to get up to any sort of speed where a crash would be likely when I watched them, which is why I still think taking your own bike and saving the money is a better idea.

If you book into novice group and just take it steady, you'll be fine. It's not as scary as it may seem before you go. There are always guys in the novice group from the slowest of the slow riding cruisers and tourers to guys on track bikes doing fast group times.
You don't need tyre warmers, you don't need tyre warmers for any group, you just need to take it easy for a lap or 2 and gradually build up your pace.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I'm sure I'll be doing Mallary park again in the next few months .
Your more than welcome to come and join in the fun .
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

SmileyVTR wrote:OK, been off biking for ages, got my precious VTR last June and slowly got my confidence/speed up and lean angles down - but I'm still way off where I left my CBR6/ZX6 in 2002.

So - what's people's recommendations (I need it to be price-concious due to house/garden revamp this year):
Quick blitz at a School (Ron Haslam incl CBR6 for half day; Brit SBK School is on own bike but full day - both c£300) which includes good tuition,
or plump straight for a track day (as novice, £60 now/evening - £150 into year)?

Any school recommendations?
If I were to do a track day (nr Nott'm, and yes I could read website bumf), any advice? (just turn up and ride? not need tyre warmers at this stage?)

ANYTHING REALLY!!

:confused
Riding with mates can be great but don't ride at the back, your always trying to catch up and make mistakes. Track days are great but your focused and may not actually learn much. My advise! Do some miles, get to a spot with roundabouts, find a quiet time and just practice. Practice braking, straight to start etc and then progress getting faster. I am not great on roads i don't know but one ones that id do i am fast enough for me. Its about being confident with the bike to start not speed, that comes later. First thing make sure the bike and tyre pressure are spot on.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Race schools like Ron Haslam are good once you get to the elite sessions where you have a 1:2:1 instructor and you focus on your weaknesses, but it is only a few hours and if you have lots of areas to ficus on it will be too short.... And elites are not cheap!

The other thing to consider is a police bikesafe course, or an IAM assessment on the road, this will help to highlight areas where you should focus, and also give you Rome real world hints on improving your road riding and safety.

And finally watching some of the bike skills videos like Keith Code or similar, so you can start to understand some of the mechanics of riding and then practice the elements when you are out riding.

BTT makes a good point about practicing things like emergency stopping and counter steering on a quiet road, this is something we all need to do when we come out of hibernation .

The riding in a group will only work if the group are considerate of your pace, and are happy to ride at those speeds (+10% to set you a target to get up to). If they are going much faster than you, you will end up over riding and getting into trouble.... Or you will be so far behind you won't be able to watch what they are doing and won't learn anything.

Watch some videos and then start practicing for as many hours as you can, it's all about embedding the good behaviours into your base instincts, so you will not react the wrong way when you panic.
AMcQ