Calipers

Best deals in town
carmanbikes

Calipers

Post by carmanbikes »

Just got these back from Jay at Chameleon anodising very happy with both the finish and the fast service
Kev L

Re: Calipers

Post by Kev L »

Glad you're happy with them mate, top service from Jay innit? :clap:
Now buy some nice Ti/stainless bolts to clean them up :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
carmanbikes

Post by carmanbikes »

Kev L wrote:Glad you're happy with them mate, top service from Jay innit? :clap:
Now buy some nice Ti/stainless bolts to clean them up :thumbup:
Hiya Kev, yes really happy with them, been on net all night looking for some s/s bolts and pins I think the best ones are Pro-Bolt but not a lot on there site so I have sent them an email for a price :thumbup:
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

S/S isn't a high tensile material. i wouldn't use them on Brakes or Suspension. They also have an adverse effect with some Alloys.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Have a look at Titanclassics for Ti, cheaper on his website than e bay. Powerhouse are very good for bolts as well.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
carmanbikes

Post by carmanbikes »

bigtwinthing wrote:S/S isn't a high tensile material. i wouldn't use them on Brakes or Suspension. They also have an adverse effect with some Alloys.
I hadn't realised that, The only reason for changing them is for appearance so I will have to go the more expensive ti, Thanks for the info :thumbup:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

bigtwinthing wrote:S/S isn't a high tensile material. i wouldn't use them on Brakes or Suspension.
True. However the stresses acting on these bolts are such that the bolts locate the two parts together, the act of applying the brakes tries to move one part (the caliper) forward relative to the fork leg mount. Therefore the bolt strength required is shear strength and not tensile strength. The force acts across the bolt diameter, sideways on, if you like, and not a pull along the axis of the bolt.

I'd be very surprised if there was sufficient force to shear through two 6mm bolts, let alone the two M8 ones fitted, in stainless or high-tensile steel.

Our engineers will have values on this.

However, I can only say what I'd be content to ride with, you will have to make your own choices- it's your neck!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

tony.mon wrote:
bigtwinthing wrote:S/S isn't a high tensile material. i wouldn't use them on Brakes or Suspension.
True. However the stresses acting on these bolts are such that the bolts locate the two parts together, the act of applying the brakes tries to move one part (the caliper) forward relative to the fork leg mount. Therefore the bolt strength required is shear strength and not tensile strength. The force acts across the bolt diameter, sideways on, if you like, and not a pull along the axis of the bolt.

I'd be very surprised if there was sufficient force to shear through two 6mm bolts, let alone the two M8 ones fitted, in stainless or high-tensile steel.

However, I can only say what I'd be content to ride with, you will have to make your own choices- it's your neck!

i agree Tony but bit too late to say i told you so as you fly over the bars. I personally would not take the risk. Just buy Ti ones. theres only 4 isn't there.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
carmanbikes

Post by carmanbikes »

bigtwinthing wrote:
tony.mon wrote:

i agree Tony but bit too late to say i told you so as you fly over the bars. I personally would not take the risk. Just buy Ti ones. theres only 4 isn't there.
I am replacing the bolts that hold the callipers together as well :thumbup:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

carmanbikes wrote:
bigtwinthing wrote:
tony.mon wrote: True. However the stresses acting on these bolts are such that the bolts locate the two parts together, the act of applying the brakes tries to move one part (the caliper) forward relative to the fork leg mount. Therefore the bolt strength required is shear strength and not tensile strength. The force acts across the bolt diameter, sideways on, if you like, and not a pull along the axis of the bolt.

I am replacing the bolts that hold the callipers together as well :thumbup:
Now THOSE bolts need to be high tensile.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Oem caliper bolts are s/s, disc bolts and triple tree bolts too. You just need to choose correct bolts suitable for application (or oem). But is is the same with Ti.

I use s/s high tensile bolts grade 10.8 on calipers for years.