what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
Kev L

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by Kev L »

MacV2 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:52 pm So the starting saga I had with Custard the other week...was a duff battery in the end.

One of the things I changed over was the starter lead. Today I stripped the insulation off the wire to see just how baddly coroded it was.

So at the solinoid end, nice bright clean copper wire...

Meanwhile at the starter end of things it's a different story...

Ekkk!

:thumbup:

Blackend with corrosion for a good 20cm & still not fully bright till past 30cm.

Not just surface either I chopped off the crimp & the corrosion is all through the wire bundle...

So plan A is to try & reuse the crimps onto a new bit of starter cable but not sure after a brief go that they will come off without damage & not be useable. I will give it another go but may have to go to plan B.

Which is to try & buy new ones...if I can find them. The fixings that is I know the cable is still avaliable but £40 ! There is also someone on e-bay offering aircraft grade wire replacement kits @£80..just a bit OTT for a 20 year old Storm me thinks...
These folk are very good mate - http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/
:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
macdee

Post by macdee »

Look up tri rated cable and lugs at and electrical wholesaler
Or check out if the is a panel switch gear manufacturing near you and buy the off cuts
You can cramp or solder lugs on
There's heat srink out there that has a sealer on the inside to help keep the damp out
told you not to but oh no you knew better
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

MacV2 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:52 pm So the starting saga I had with Custard the other week...was a duff battery in the end.

One of the things I changed over was the starter lead. Today I stripped the insulation off the wire to see just how baddly coroded it was.

So at the solinoid end, nice bright clean copper wire...

Meanwhile at the starter end of things it's a different story...

Ekkk!

Blackend with corrosion for a good 20cm & still not fully bright till past 30cm.

Not just surface either I chopped off the crimp & the corrosion is all through the wire bundle...

So plan A is to try & reuse the crimps onto a new bit of starter cable but not sure after a brief go that they will come off without damage & not be useable. I will give it another go but may have to go to plan B.

Which is to try & buy new ones...if I can find them. The fixings that is I know the cable is still avaliable but £40 ! There is also someone on e-bay offering aircraft grade wire replacement kits @£80..just a bit OTT for a 20 year old Storm me thinks...
Hey mate. If you tell me what size lugs you need {cable size&hole diameter) e.g 16mm/6mm? Then Iprobable have a ccouple I could send you but youwould need a decent ccrimper to install.
In fact if you tell what size and length of cable you want I may also have and could crimp on the lugs and send ready to install, I have no shrink wrap insulation though just insulating tape..
“If all insects on Earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish.” Biologist Jonas Salk
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

fatfreddy000 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:00 am

Hey mate. If you tell me what size lugs you need {cable size&hole diameter) e.g 16mm/6mm? Then Iprobable have a ccouple I could send you but youwould need a decent ccrimper to install.
In fact if you tell what size and length of cable you want I may also have and could crimp on the lugs and send ready to install, I have no shrink wrap insulation though just insulating tape..
Cheers for that Freddy, I think the biggest issue is getting the solinoid end fixing as it looks like a m/c speciffic fiting & not that common.

Me being me I'm not just after the one tho... :lol: :lol:

I'm gonna try the guys already linked to by Kev... http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/

The fittings must be out there somewhere.

Question for you tho are you any relation to...

This Fat Freddy ?

:wink:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

MacV2 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:15 am
fatfreddy000 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:00 am

Cheers for that Freddy, I think the biggest issue is getting the solinoid end fixing as it looks like a m/c speciffic fiting & not that common.

Me being me I'm not just after the one tho... :lol: :lol:

I'm gonna try the guys already linked to by Kev... http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/

The fittings must be out there somewhere.

This Fat Freddy ?

Yep, that is me!
Well let me know if you need any bits, I have plenty of bits spare as I work on narrowboat engine electrical systems.
“If all insects on Earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish.” Biologist Jonas Salk
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

fatfreddy000 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:50 pm

This Fat Freddy ?

Yep, that is me!
Well let me know if you need any bits, I have plenty of bits spare as I work on narrowboat engine electrical systems.
[/quote]

Ahhh but do you have a cat ?

This is the tricky one...Solinoid end.

I've e mailed vehicle wiring products uk see what they can come up with.
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

does it have to have the 90 deg bend?
What size of hole do you need (in the connector before you go there)??
What diam of wire?
We are doing a fair bit of industrial connections at work, I'll see what I may source, (sorry get Quality sample of)
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

grumpyfrog wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:38 pm does it have to have the 90 deg bend?
What size of hole do you need (in the connector before you go there)??
What diam of wire?
We are doing a fair bit of industrial connections at work, I'll see what I may source, (sorry get Quality sample of)
No I dont supose it does need the bend TBH.

The Solinoid end is 25mm long. 10mm wide. 5mm hole which is right on the end...<1mm from the end...ish... I think it's a 10mm cable.

Starter end is a ring conector with a 6mm hole.

I like to call it 'Liberation' rather than source... :lol: :lol:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

So I mailed vehicle-wiring-products uk...

Got a not very helpful mail back...' If it's not in our catalogue we don't stock it...' This is despite saying I'd happily send the old ones to them for a match & that I was looking at buying multiples & cable & crimping pliers...

So fek em I'll take me business elsewhere
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Wicky wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:47 pm Would this do

https://www.rapidonline.com/davico-d25- ... ug-33-0320

Well the issue with the Solinond end one is the length of it. Its 25mm long & the hole is right at the far end.

I could try a flat ring but it's if it will fit on in the space avaliable. Maybe have to have it sticking out sideways...hmmm :think:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

What about using the old one as a template to get a batch laser cut out from flat sheet - How many were you thinking of needing?

What's the original made out of?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

MacV2 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:55 pm

Well the issue with the Solinond end one is the length of it. Its 25mm long & the hole is right at the far end.

I could try a flat ring but it's if it will fit on in the space avaliable. Maybe have to have it sticking out sideways...hmmm :think:
Idont have any 5mm hole lugs but could crimp up a 10mm length of cable with a 6mm one at one end and whatever you want at the starter motor end although it may not be long enough for the solonoid.
Personally I would find a bit of scrap copper or steel and fabricate one the solder the cable on.. Should be straightforward..
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

fatfreddy000 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:52 pm
MacV2 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:55 pm

Another option:
Cut a little steel or copper plate with dimensions of the old lug then drill with a 5mm bit and even bend to right angle if necessary with vice and hammer assistance then drill the other end of the plate with a 6mm bit and bolt a standard 6/10 lug on to attach the starter lead then shrink wrap the whole lot. As I say, I'm happy to post you the cable lugged at both ends, but how many do you need (and why?)
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

MOT for Nue Red today...

Thinking about it I can't remember using it since the Birmingham bash at the NMCM...Back in June '17... :lol:

I have done a few 1000 miles on the yella horror tho... :lol:

Any hoo pulled it out, fitted a headlight bulb & the rubber boot without a/ dropping the bulb into the shell. b/ bothering to take the fairing off... It's tight but doable even with a wonkey wrist.

Bunged some fresh fule in it, & fired it up, bit of a struggle but it started & sat happily ticking over whilst I lubed the chain & checked lights ect.

Then thought I better check the tires...good job I did R @ 25 front @ 30...Sorted that & good to go...Heading out in a bit, MOT @ 14.00.