what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
agentpineapple

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by agentpineapple »

next to nothing, put the battery on charge, and adjusted the rear brake pedal, also found a better place to attach my action cam. I still haven't ridden it in 14mths... :( :( :(
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

replaced the fluid on both sets of brakes and clutch circuit, drained out old (storage) gas, put some new stuff in and fired it up (took about ten seconds of cranking). Took it for a short run (about 30 km), runs awesome but noticed the water pump peep hole is leaking... looks like it`s new seal time...
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

fabiostar wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:59 pm well today was spent looking at the yellow one wondering why it wont go. shock horror a storm i own not going :eek2 :eek2 :eek2 :eek2
Is it spelled "jinx" or "jynx", do you think?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Attempted to get to the bottom of my temp gauge swinging over to the "H" when the ignition is switched on :(

Anyone any ideas? Checked Carl's idea that there was a sender change during the model run but when I cross referenced the temp sender numbers it only shows one type.

If anyone could ohm test their temp sender or the three temp screws at the back of the clocks just to see what to look for I would very very grateful. I haven't got a Vtr or know anyone with one so I have no idea what's normal ok knackered.

I've just bought another complete thermostat but I don't think that's the problem but cheap enough to give it ago. Cheaper than a clock & easier than a loom change.

Really guys, any help whatsoever will be greatly appreciated, Help :thumbup:
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

Varastorm wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:53 am Attempted to get to the bottom of my temp gauge swinging over to the "H" when the ignition is switched on :(

Anyone any ideas? Checked Carl's idea that there was a sender change during the model run but when I cross referenced the temp sender numbers it only shows one type.

If anyone could ohm test their temp sender or the three temp screws at the back of the clocks just to see what to look for I would very very grateful. I haven't got a Vtr or know anyone with one so I have no idea what's normal ok knackered.

I've just bought another complete thermostat but I don't think that's the problem but cheap enough to give it ago. Cheaper than a clock & easier than a loom change.

carl is correct, when the storm was updated in 2001 in the uk, it gained the larger fuel tank and also a semi digital dash, which included a digital temp gauge. i'd try looking for a late model temp sender.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Bennyboy

Post by Bennyboy »

Took the seat off to have it retrimmed as part of the overhaul
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

agentpineapple wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:08 pm
Varastorm wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:53 am Attempted to get to the bottom of my temp gauge swinging over to the "H" when the ignition is switched on :(

carl is correct, when the storm was updated in 2001 in the uk, it gained the larger fuel tank and also a semi digital dash, which included a digital temp gauge. i'd try looking for a late model temp sender.
Ok, thanks AP :thumbup: I'll look it up.

Like I mentioned above, I ordered another this morning :roll: It looks the same as what I've got but I'll test them against each other.

I'd be surprised if they're both naff, if they do the same thing I'll check the loom :thumbup:

Thanks again :thumbup:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

mucho cleaning of connections on old yellow failed so shorted out the nautral switch which gave me back my light and yes it fired up first go :eek2 ..... as normal it was the last thing i tried :eek2
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Glad you got it sorted Rob
BTW if it had been the first thing you checked, would you have carried on checking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Rode Custurd to work for the first time in 10 months !
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Spent most of the day waving spanners, allen keys & JIS screwdrivers at Big Bird...

I had to pull me finger out at some point... :lol: :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Spent all day on it and it still looks the same as when I finished the last time.
Bennyboy

Post by Bennyboy »

Tracked a parcel for it, only to find out I need to pay customs charges :thumbdown:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

put the chainsaw away just before i cut the blue one up... its back on remand for a week..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Hey Fabio,

I have been following your trials and tribulations with the Blue one and have empathy .

I once owned a Suzuki GT750 Water Bottle with a 3 into 1 expansion chamber and it was a beast.

It developed an over heating problem so I replaced the radiator cap, still had the problem, then I set on to replace or inspect the following,

Thermostat, hoses, water pump , head gaskets, rings , you name it I tried it, it still went so I traded it in.

I told the dealer that it was dodgey and what I had done.

One thing I didn't do was inspect the nylon water pump drive gear and it had a crack that allowed the water pump shaft to rotate without turning the gear and therefore the water pump wasn't being driven.

What made it even worse was that this great bike ended up in my cousins possession and he trashed it.

If I had kept going I think I would have got it . I did 96,000 Klms on that bike and I always regret not having it.

Would cruise all day at 140-160 K's

Keep going mate,

You will get it . :beer:
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia