what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
User avatar
kenmoore
Posts: 623
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:25 am

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by kenmoore » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:40 am

Nothing much except ride it.

I have owned this bike for some time now and it's never ceases to amaze me .

Always fun,

I like to go for rides of about 250 - 400'miles.

2 to 3 tanks of fuel is a good day out.

Usually stop at a few pubs and have a couple of bevvies, nothing silly just a thirst quencher or two ( Australia gets hot you know )

I just love V Twins, the sound, the torque, the all round aural experience when you are getting up them and they wail.

On a sad note,

I have a brother who is 3 years older than me that had a TLS1000 for 13 years and he has just sold it.

I know the bike well as I have done a lot of work to it.

At least he bought a Honda,

A VFR1200 no less. it has heated grips, hard wired GPS, full,panniers and only 8,000 miles.

For Christmas I am going to get him a pipe and slippers .

It will be interesting to ride with him however,

I am sure I will miss the syncopated lilt from the V Twins when they were in sync at high speed.

Time will tell, I know one thing, and that is that I won't be getting rid of the VTR EVER.

If I do buy another bike it will stay.

So,

After all this what I did today was.

Appreciate my VTR .
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia

User avatar
sirch345
Site Admin
Posts: 18143
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:35 pm
Location: Cornwall, UK

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by sirch345 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:10 pm

kenmoore wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:40 am
Nothing much except ride it.

I have owned this bike for some time now and it's never ceases to amaze me .

Always fun,

I like to go for rides of about 250 - 400'miles.

2 to 3 tanks of fuel is a good day out.

Usually stop at a few pubs and have a couple of bevvies, nothing silly just a thirst quencher or two ( Australia gets hot you know )

I just love V Twins, the sound, the torque, the all round aural experience when you are getting up them and they wail.

On a sad note,

I have a brother who is 3 years older than me that had a TLS1000 for 13 years and he has just sold it.

I know the bike well as I have done a lot of work to it.

At least he bought a Honda,

A VFR1200 no less. it has heated grips, hard wired GPS, full,panniers and only 8,000 miles.

For Christmas I am going to get him a pipe and slippers .

It will be interesting to ride with him however,

I am sure I will miss the syncopated lilt from the V Twins when they were in sync at high speed.

Time will tell, I know one thing, and that is that I won't be getting rid of the VTR EVER.

If I do buy another bike it will stay.

So,

After all this what I did today was.

Appreciate my VTR .
Nice post Ken :thumbup:
The part about the VTR, I certainly get where you're coming from 8) :D

Chris.
A closed mouth gathers no foot. :thumbup:

thelens
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun May 26, 2019 4:49 pm

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by thelens » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:56 pm

Fitted a givi topbox yayyyyyy :D
Pain in the ass to fit, but looks rather good.
Sunday I will see if I notice it, while riding. :crazy:

User avatar
freeridenick
Posts: 1100
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 12:30 pm
Location: Derbyshire

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by freeridenick » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:37 pm

AMCQ46 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:54 pm
freeridenick wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:17 pm
Took it back to Three Sisters racing again yesterday.
and ... we need the full report :thumbup:
Full report now in the racing section.

User avatar
fabiostar
Posts: 6180
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:53 pm
Location: sunny belfast

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by fabiostar » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:56 pm

took the newbie to get a new matching road 5 on the front, then cut the screen down as it was to big and fitted it behind the front cowling. rather chuffed with it all.

Image
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:

User avatar
agentpineapple
Posts: 15083
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:16 pm

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by agentpineapple » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:19 pm

fabiostar wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:56 pm
took the newbie to get a new matching road 5 on the front, then cut the screen down as it was to big and fitted it behind the front cowling. rather chuffed with it all.

Image


You attention whore.... :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!

User avatar
alanfjones1411
Posts: 2095
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 2:33 pm
Location: watford

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by alanfjones1411 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:00 pm

He likes a colourful bike for sure.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN

User avatar
MacV2
Posts: 14483
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:07 pm
Location: Grain

Re: what have you done to someone elses "bike" yesterday

Post by MacV2 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:00 pm

So last week Kiron my neighbours son knocked on me door & asked if I could help him adjust his chain...Yes really! Its a CBR 125 & he is 21 & a feking muppet... :lol: :lol:

So I had a look at it it was dragging on the floor... 8O The chain is shot weedy little thing not much bigger than a push bike chain...

Anyway I sorted it out with the advice that he needed to buy a new C&S kit...

Then he tells me he has no front brake & has been riding it like that for a while...Did I say he was a muppet ?

He's convinced its a warped disc & when he uses it, it sticks on...Nah Kiron thats not a warped disc its probably a sticky piston...'But when the garage changed the pads they didn't say that...'' Did they strip it down ? '' Nah just changed the pads...'' No new fluid ? '' Nah just the pads...''

OK when you get back from work tomorrow give us a knock... This would have been Sunday he said he would be back @ 16.00 I was out in the cave tinkering & he didn't show up I gave up & packed up gone 17.30...

Anyhoo on Weds as I got home he was out the front doing something to the bike...' give me 10 mins or so to sort meself out & then we'll crack on with it.'

So I pulled the calliper off, took the pads out, pumped the leaver & sure enough one sticky piston...

This is a twin piston sliding calliper, same idea as the Storm rear but with 2x 20mm pistons...

Only thing it wasnt sliding as well as having a stuck piston & nice dark brown fluid...

So stripped it down had to slide hammer* the stuck piston out, cleaned all the crap off the pistons, the slider pins & the calliper body, one of the dust seals was a bit crusty but cleaned up OK... Red Rubber grease on all the rubbers & sliders, seals & shiny pistons back in. Bolted it back on, bled it up, nice fresh DoT4, nice & firm on the leaver & checked the disc wasn't warped...it wasn't.

'Just remember when you next ride it dont yank the leaver on, just a gentle pull until you get a feel for it...'

Well when I got home tonight he was again out the front, so he didn't die from loseing the front end whilst jamming the brakes on or the brakes failing coz I missed a bolt out somewhere... :lol: :lol:

He's much happier... Still a muppet...only has a provisional & it already has 6 points on it... :roll:

* Calliper piston pulling tool set...if you havent got one add one of these to the tool kit... Blinding bit of kit, I have the piston pliers as well but to be honest they do more damage than good & most times wont even budge a slightly stiff piston...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorbike-Mo ... 0005.m1851
Lowering the tone since 2007...

User avatar
sirch345
Site Admin
Posts: 18143
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:35 pm
Location: Cornwall, UK

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by sirch345 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:28 pm

fabiostar wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:56 pm
took the newbie to get a new matching road 5 on the front, then cut the screen down as it was to big and fitted it behind the front cowling. rather chuffed with it all.

Image
Aw you tease you Rob, nice photo 8)
MacV2 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:00 pm
So last week Kiron my neighbours son knocked on me door & asked if I could help him adjust his chain...Yes really! Its a CBR 125 & he is 21 & a feking muppet... :lol: :lol:

So I had a look at it it was dragging on the floor... 8O The chain is shot weedy little thing not much bigger than a push bike chain...

Anyway I sorted it out with the advice that he needed to buy a new C&S kit...

Then he tells me he has no front brake & has been riding it like that for a while...Did I say he was a muppet ?

He's convinced its a warped disc & when he uses it, it sticks on...Nah Kiron thats not a warped disc its probably a sticky piston...'But when the garage changed the pads they didn't say that...'' Did they strip it down ? '' Nah just changed the pads...'' No new fluid ? '' Nah just the pads...''

OK when you get back from work tomorrow give us a knock... This would have been Sunday he said he would be back @ 16.00 I was out in the cave tinkering & he didn't show up I gave up & packed up gone 17.30...

Anyhoo on Weds as I got home he was out the front doing something to the bike...' give me 10 mins or so to sort meself out & then we'll crack on with it.'

So I pulled the calliper off, took the pads out, pumped the leaver & sure enough one sticky piston...

This is a twin piston sliding calliper, same idea as the Storm rear but with 2x 20mm pistons...

Only thing it wasnt sliding as well as having a stuck piston & nice dark brown fluid...

So stripped it down had to slide hammer* the stuck piston out, cleaned all the crap off the pistons, the slider pins & the calliper body, one of the dust seals was a bit crusty but cleaned up OK... Red Rubber grease on all the rubbers & sliders, seals & shiny pistons back in. Bolted it back on, bled it up, nice fresh DoT4, nice & firm on the leaver & checked the disc wasn't warped...it wasn't.

'Just remember when you next ride it dont yank the leaver on, just a gentle pull until you get a feel for it...'

Well when I got home tonight he was again out the front, so he didn't die from loseing the front end whilst jamming the brakes on or the brakes failing coz I missed a bolt out somewhere... :lol: :lol:

He's much happier... Still a muppet...only has a provisional & it already has 6 points on it... :roll:

* Calliper piston pulling tool set...if you havent got one add one of these to the tool kit... Blinding bit of kit, I have the piston pliers as well but to be honest they do more damage than good & most times wont even budge a slightly stiff piston...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorbike-Mo ... 0005.m1851
Good read Mac :thumbup:
Thanks for the caliper piston puller kit link :thumbup:

Chris.
A closed mouth gathers no foot. :thumbup:

tony.mon
Posts: 13650
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:46 pm
Location: Norf Kent

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by tony.mon » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:09 am

Six points.
Well, clearly, applying the back brake only when spotting the camera didn't work....

It's a wonder any of us made it out of our teens.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.

User avatar
MacV2
Posts: 14483
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:07 pm
Location: Grain

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by MacV2 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:50 am

tony.mon wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:09 am
Six points.
Well, clearly, applying the back brake only when spotting the camera didn't work....

It's a wonder any of us made it out of our teens.
He has just, he 21... points wern't for speeding, something silly like number plate & then getting stopped the next day by the same copper for the same thing... :roll: He probably gave a load of lip to the copper as well which never helps...

He's been driving around in a car despite not haveing a licence to drive... Got followed out of Grain by the ARSV which is based down at the LNG plant, they pulled up behind him when he stopped, & basicaly nicked him on the spot, car gets crushed he gets away with just more points...

It was 3.30 in the morning & 3 up in the car & he complains about being stopped... Did I say he is a muppet ?
Lowering the tone since 2007...

User avatar
StormyRob
Posts: 1541
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:33 am
Location: Northern Ireland. The place of legend

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by StormyRob » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:18 pm

Swapped out the fork internals for some rogered ones.
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.

User avatar
kenmoore
Posts: 623
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:25 am

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by kenmoore » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:11 pm

Went of a 2 tank ride and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Windy and freezing cold, one of the coldest rides I have ever done.

One guy on the ride bought a newspaper and stuffed it in his jacket he was so cold.
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia

User avatar
StormyRob
Posts: 1541
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:33 am
Location: Northern Ireland. The place of legend

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by StormyRob » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:30 pm

Replaced the sprockets. Chain is still good.

Also changed the old sprocket guard out for one I got from Mac. Clutch bled and all good for Friday.
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.

thelens
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun May 26, 2019 4:49 pm

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by thelens » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:18 pm

New rear tyre.... bt 023.... came to the house and fitted to the bike.... £115.... ace :D

Post Reply