what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
Stephan

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by Stephan »

alanfjones1411 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 7:11 am I wouldn't worry too much about it.Removable baffles have been around for quite a while.
agree, it is still half way to the rest of EU where E-mark is required (I have no doubt you will get there without EU anyway). These baffles put into my extremely noisy Arrow system make sound quite reasonable. Unfortunately with small effect on power I cannot afford, but do the trick for MOT purpose or track days.

link
popkat

Post by popkat »

The class 1 and 2 MOT states the exhaust noise shouldn't be clearly in excess of another bike the same with a standard exhaust, but there's no noise meter and no hearing tests for testers, the new manual/rules coming in on 20th May states if possible to rev (with warm engine) to half engine revs to assess the noise, and is a Major fault if "it doesn't meet levels permitted". The thing is what's the permitted level ? A tester isn't going to know this as there's no data and no noise meter. I can only say that at half revs it's going to be pretty difficult to claim deafness on a loud bike if an inspector turns up unannounced and tester has just passed the bike. With this in mind I think you may well find a lot of testers will clamp down on noisy exhausts.

If anyone's interested the new class 1 and 2 inspection manual is online, google it, it's the one that says from 20th may 2018. There are many changes, some things that used to fail will now pass and some that weren't tested are now Fails, (eg number plate light now must work) Failures are either Dangerous or Major, a Minor is a pass and then there is still Advisories.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
popkat

Post by popkat »

Took the ECU off the MT10 again today, will post off tomorrow, had it reflashed and set up on the dyno but power comes in too abrupt on initial throttle, unsettles the bike, the bike has 3 power modes (or levels of throttle sensitivity/response) it's only a problem in pwr 1 (the most responsive), on the other modes it's not too bad in 2 and smooth in 3 but 3 is soft throughout. Hopefully it'll be sorted this time.. As it'll be off for a few days I taxed the old VFR and got it running so I can go for a ride, I need to do this as my finger comes out of it's splint tomorrow and I need to start using it, need to be able to ride properly so I can race at the end of the month.. The poor Firestorm is just sitting idle at work, must give it a service and get it all up and running so I can tax it for next month, need to be on it for Devon storm :D

My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

popkat wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:19 pm Took the ECU off the MT10 again today, will post off tomorrow, had it reflashed and set up on the dyno but power comes in too abrupt on initial throttle,
Is the bike still under warranty? If so, does this affect it?
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
popkat

Post by popkat »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 10:11 pm
popkat wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:19 pm Took the ECU off the MT10 again today, will post off tomorrow, had it reflashed and set up on the dyno but power comes in too abrupt on initial throttle,

Yes it's still got warranty, I think most dealers use their heads really, It's not likely a problem is going to be caused by a flashed ECU, unless it's ECU failure, guess I'd be unlucky then.. The bikes run lean as standard (that's pretty much all euro 4 bikes) and reflashing they will add fuel, the only other stuff is to remove emissions like fuel cut for a smother ride, lower the temp the fan comes on, stuff like that, so it's making it safer and in theory more reliable. I'm in the trade so hopefully a friendly main dealer would help sort any issues, I have already had a new chain as the first one rusted even though it hadn't been out in bad weather.

Also so far the bike is better than it was from the factory, just working on getting it good to ride in all situations and power modes, how I feel it should be in the first place.

KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

popkat wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 10:27 pm

Yes it's still got warranty, I think most dealers use their heads really, It's not likely a problem is going to be caused by a flashed ECU, unless it's ECU failure, guess I'd be unlucky then.. The bikes run lean as standard (that's pretty much all euro 4 bikes) and reflashing they will add fuel, the only other stuff is to remove emissions like fuel cut for a smother ride, lower the temp the fan comes on, stuff like that, so it's making it safer and in theory more reliable. I'm in the trade so hopefully a friendly main dealer would help sort any issues, I have already had a new chain as the first one rusted even though it hadn't been out in bad weather.

Also so far the bike is better than it was from the factory, just working on getting it good to ride in all situations and power modes, how I feel it should be in the first place.
Yup, the Euro4 stuff is a pain. As you say it's easy to fix by a reflash of the ECU but with Aprilia that can invalidate the warranty. Instead they offer an official OEM "race" ECU and Akro end can which maintains the warranty. HOW much? I'm leaving mine stock for a little while as my wallet recovers.

Euro4 is all a load of shite anyway. The humungous end can has a valve in the exhaust who's sole purpose is to close under test conditions and revs.

How are you finding the MT10SP? I've not ridden one and they certainly get good reviews. I don't like the look of it though. The Aprilia forum is full of woe, mainly for the older models but quite a lot for the MY17 and 18 Tuonos. Almost all dodgy electronics with the occasional PID cockup. Having found a big lump of wood I can say that with 2300 miles on mine now it has performed flawlessly. Super happy with it.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
popkat

Post by popkat »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 8:06 am
popkat wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 10:27 pm

Yup, the Euro4 stuff is a pain. As you say it's easy to fix by a reflash of the ECU but with Aprilia that can invalidate the warranty. Instead they offer an official OEM "race" ECU and Akro end can which maintains the warranty. HOW much? I'm leaving mine stock for a little while as my wallet recovers.

Euro4 is all a load of shite anyway. The humungous end can has a valve in the exhaust who's sole purpose is to close under test conditions and revs.

How are you finding the MT10SP? I've not ridden one and they certainly get good reviews. I don't like the look of it though. The Aprilia forum is full of woe, mainly for the older models but quite a lot for the MY17 and 18 Tuonos. Almost all dodgy electronics with the occasional PID cockup. Having found a big lump of wood I can say that with 2300 miles on mine now it has performed flawlessly. Super happy with it.
Yeah the MT is a bit of a marmite bike on the looks, I think it looks alright. It goes well, I swapped to a mates GSXR1000L5 the other day and that felt so slow revving compared to the MT, lots of power but you got to open it up whereas the MT just goes from the off. Chassis wise it's not great at the moment, it has the electronic suspension and I haven't played with it yet, think I need to measure sag and maybe lower the front a little, it seems to understeer but it is an R1 chassis so should be able to sort it, although the damping is good at the rear.. another thing I'm thinking of doing is changing the risers to put the bars a little lower and further forward which will put me a bit more over the front, sometimes feels like I'm riding an adventure bike.
I hear the Tuono still suffers from the fuel tank swelling due to ethanol, you'd think they would have sorted that by now, Super unleaded is the best way to go as more chance of no ethanol, if you leave it laid up over winter have the fuel low and leave the cap open a little this will help the tank shrink back. the problem only really notices when you lift the tank and then can't put it back on again as the bolts don't line up. I've had Aprilia's but trying to avoid having another due to niggles and shite warranty claims.

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Custard Crumble...is starting to crumble...

Indi malfuction on the way in today. When I got to work & had a look rear offside not flashing...

Crap aftermarket ones on when I bought it.
When home this eve, took it off after a bit of a fight... :lol:

Opened it up & found a very badly coroded bulb holder with the strangest looking bulb in it which was stuck fast...

Got Frank to sort me out some std indis & put them on....Sorted. :thumbup:

Then as I was there I had to sort out the recently fitted seat lock as that had decided to sieze on me as well...Luckily I had a spare this time... :thumbup:

The seat plastics decided to fall apart around the top mount & then I found that one of the rear light fixing tabs had snapped off...

I'd picked one up spare in the Jonesey bike purchase, no top mounts but solid light mountings so whacked that on.

So Custard has lost he's blue rinse & gaind an extra few MPH with a red tail...Happy days... :lol: :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Track day today at Croft. I've had this itch for some time and today I gave it a good scratch. Haven't been on a track for about 25 years since I threw my jellymould CBR600 away at Brands Hatch. Only did two 30 minute sessions but that was enough. The Storm was throwing up too many sparks from the undercarriage and I was enjoying thrashing the kids on their crotch rockets too much. The red mist was about to descend so I got away before I made a fool out of myself. Satisfied. I won't need to do that again for a while.

A couple of very interesting bikes (belonging to one of the one legged instructors). Crappy photos, sorry about that, but it's the first time I've seen a CB500R. There were a bunch of identical bikes made for a teenage one make championship some time back. It was a jewel of a thing.

Just managed to get a bin in the shot

Look close and you can see the pin in the RH footpeg to attach the pegleg and lack of a brake lever.

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Started to spray some laquer on my bodywork today but was fighting against the wind and when I got some crap blown into my laquer from a tree I gave up. Too windy. Then I took a swig of my coffee and swallowed what I think may have been a fly. I just hope it wasn't a dog sh1t fly :eek2 So I didn't get anything done today and I'm fed up.
==============================Enter the Darkside
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

KermitLeFrog wrote:Track day today at Croft. I've had this itch for some time and today I gave it a good scratch. Haven't been on a track for about 25 years since I threw my jellymould CBR600 away at Brands Hatch. Only did two 30 minute sessions but that was enough. The Storm was throwing up too many sparks from the undercarriage and I was enjoying thrashing the kids on their crotch rockets too much. The red mist was about to descend so I got away before I made a fool out of myself. Satisfied. I won't need to do that again for a while.

A couple of very interesting bikes (belonging to one of the one legged instructors). Crappy photos, sorry about that, but it's the first time I've seen a CB500R. There were a bunch of identical bikes made for a teenage one make championship some time back. It was a jewel of a thing.

Just managed to get a bin in the shot

Look close and you can see the pin in the RH footpeg to attach the pegleg and lack of a brake lever.

That sounds awesome Kermit.
Glad you managed to fix that itchImageif you have anymore I hear antibiotic work well too.

So where were you racing? Those CB’s look great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
popkat

Post by popkat »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:50 pm

Nice VJ22 8)

Very well disciplined to call it a day early, i'd have just carried on.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

popkat wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 7:00 pm Very well disciplined to call it a day early, i'd have just carried on.
I thought the same, well done Kermit :thumbup:

Chris.
mdb

Post by mdb »

I fitted a RennTec combined rack and pillion handle. Doesn't seem like it will take much weight.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

The one-legged instructor took me out at Croft when I went their. Nice guy who gave simple and clear advice.

Today I managed to fit the engine in the frame and get the bike back on two wheels, it fought me all the way though. Culminating in it falling of the blocks it was on as I tried to fit the suspension link. That's a Harris footrest hanger bent. :x