Site Admin

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by sirch345 »

Wow those engine cases do look really clean :thumbup:

Chris.
haynesjones66

Post by haynesjones66 »

i am very pleased with them. they were also painted black by the blasters as its an F2 engine. once this engine is done, i will be doing the same to the other one before sorting frames and running gear etc. i'll post pics up as things progress.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

haynesjones66 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:19 pm i am very pleased with them. they were also painted black by the blasters as its an F2 engine. once this engine is done, i will be doing the same to the other one before sorting frames and running gear etc. i'll post pics up as things progress.
I look forward to seeing your progress :D

Chris.
haynesjones66

Post by haynesjones66 »

i've just started another thread in the 'pimp your ride' section. hope that's ok. at least theyre hondas!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

haynesjones66 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:00 pm i've just started another thread in the 'pimp your ride' section. hope that's ok. at least theyre hondas!
You must have read my mind :lol: I was only thinking a new Thread in the Pimp Your Ride section would be a good idea, good man :thumbup:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

alanfjones1411 wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:18 am
sirch345 wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:39 pm
alanfjones1411 wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:54 pm Sold it.It has now gone to the Home Of Rest For Firestorms on the Isle of Grain. :)
A very nice looking bike Alan, it least it's gone to a good home,

Chris.
It had to go Chris as only being on a state pension and local council wanting £85:80 per month for garage rental.Have my eye on a nice little project (1964 Triton) that i can keep at my daughters and work on it weekends.At least it's still a twin.
I know what you mean Alan, you have to balance the books so-to-speak, and £85.80 per month is enough for a council garage, I'm sure they are cheaper down here, but I could be wrong.

A 1964 Triton, now you're talking after growing up with them to a degree and having owned two when I was a lot younger than I am now.

You'll have to keep us updated if you do get it,

Chris.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Day off today, going to casually head down to the garage and make some fine-tuning adjustments to the old girl. I feel the carb slides are still not lifting quite quickly enough, so I will enlarge the second lift hole (net effect will be 75% of the lift of the stock 2-hole set-up). Response is already very, very goo, but I feel as though there is more in there... so, OCMD obliges to go on a quest, lol

I will also work on the placement of the air lines (inside airbox) going from the the two Flo-Commander units, getting them clearly out of the airstream (read somewhere that the area extending from 2 cm below the mouth to @ 6-7 cm above the stack opening is critical and that any obstacles located in this area impair airflow into the engine by a non-negligible amount). Optimisation like this is cheap and all the little gains add up. So, away wi' ya!

cheers from across the Pond :)
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I'm glad to see you have made it back safely from the workshop/garage Micky :lol:

Chris.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

sirch345 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:15 pm I'm glad to see you have made it back safely from the workshop/garage Micky :lol:

Chris.
thanks Chris :)

I am at the point where I enjoy working on it as much as riding. Anyhow, just got in a from a test ride and everything is good. Every little thing I do fine-tuning-wise (things based on sound physic and logic) improves it incrementally. In addition the slide holes and F-C hoses, I also raised the front of the tank slightly (about another 1.5 mm) and put a sort of shelf (fashioned out of cardboard for testing purposes) between the frame and the front of the airbox, the idea being to close off the off the area to smooth airflow into the filter area (my filter is in the lid, remember), and also to seal the air intake area off completely from the area under the steering head (I recall I tried removing the OEM plastic shelf at one time, back when I was still using a snorkel on the airbox, and recall how the bike would surge unpredictably; this indicated to me that there was probably some type of low-pressure or turbulent area down there, by sealing it off, I am helping to ensure that it doesn't draw incoming air/reduce pressure or inject turbulence into the airstream coming in just under the front of the tank). Anyhow, to make a long story short, the changes seem to have worked. It responds better and seems to pull with more authority in the upper registers. All good!!!! :biggrin
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Had a mini workshop day at mine today. 5 very different storms, a KTM and a fiat panda!

The red CCT failure I had over from England a while back had surgery and runs very well indeed. Surprisingly well. Another one saved anf will be moving to its new owner next week. Thanks once again to Fabio for coming round and making less work of it and to others that attended who may or may not be on here 🤣

Great day all round
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

StormyRob wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:51 pm Had a mini workshop day at mine today. 5 very different storms, a KTM and a fiat panda!

The red CCT failure I had over from England a while back had surgery and runs very well indeed. Surprisingly well. Another one saved anf will be moving to its new owner next week. Thanks once again to Fabio for coming round and making less work of it and to others that attended who may or may not be on here 🤣

Great day all round

was a good craic day :lol: :lol: :lol:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Watty

Post by Watty »

Washed the Irish grime off it from the Armoy visit :thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mik_str wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:14 am
sirch345 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:15 pm I'm glad to see you have made it back safely from the workshop/garage Micky :lol:

Chris.

I am at the point where I enjoy working on it as much as riding. Anyhow, just got in a from a test ride and everything is good. Every little thing I do fine-tuning-wise (things based on sound physic and logic) improves it incrementally. In addition the slide holes and F-C hoses, I also raised the front of the tank slightly (about another 1.5 mm) and put a sort of shelf (fashioned out of cardboard for testing purposes) between the frame and the front of the airbox, the idea being to close off the off the area to smooth airflow into the filter area (my filter is in the lid, remember), and also to seal the air intake area off completely from the area under the steering head (I recall I tried removing the OEM plastic shelf at one time, back when I was still using a snorkel on the airbox, and recall how the bike would surge unpredictably; this indicated to me that there was probably some type of low-pressure or turbulent area down there, by sealing it off, I am helping to ensure that it doesn't draw incoming air/reduce pressure or inject turbulence into the airstream coming in just under the front of the tank). Anyhow, to make a long story short, the changes seem to have worked. It responds better and seems to pull with more authority in the upper registers. All good!!!! :biggrin
Interesting to hear what you have been modifying this time :) As you say all these little thing put together make a difference.

Good to hear your efforts paid off, well done :clap:

Chris.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

sirch345 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:36 pm
mik_str wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:14 am

Chris.

Interesting to hear what you have been modifying this time :) As you say all these little thing put together make a difference.

Good to hear your efforts paid off, well done :clap:

Chris.
I tell folks my bike is rolling laboratory, because it is. I have been able to learn a great deal about engines and bikes from playing around and trying stuff.

all good

cheers :)
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mik_str wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:27 am I tell folks my bike is rolling laboratory, because it is. I have been able to learn a great deal about engines and bikes from playing around and trying stuff.

all good

cheers :)
I like that :lol: :thumbup:

Chris.