what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
benny hedges

Re: what have you done to your storm today

Post by benny hedges »

ah thats the problem then.
most of us are 20st+ lol :biggrin
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

lloydiecbr wrote:today i snapped of an exhaust stud and rounded the big Allen bolt on the clutch cover
this bike is a fo.ker to work on :redface
Par for the course, mate, easily sorted....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

as soon as all the parts come im taking it to the machine shop to get the studs done and the clutch cover . i do enjoy working on bikes as much as riding them . i like to have a good ride then when i get back i look for things to do to it .
with all the adivce on here and of course the haynes im going to be changing the cam chains next winter , ive never been that far inside an engine before , over summer i will be collecting all the tools needed for the job.
ive always tried to do all my own work on my bikes as its the only way you learn on how to do things
mattster

what have you done to your storm today

Post by mattster »

Today I put air in the tyres, fuel in the tank then rode till the fuel light came on!! First great day of the year, blue skies, dry roads. Was out with my mate on his new tiger 1050 - lovely bike, but not lovely enough to tempt me off the storm.....
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

lloydiecbr wrote: im going to be changing the cam chains next winter
why??? :eh:

good luck getting the flywheel off lol - you definately need a special tool for that.
m22x1.5mm bolt basically.
you wont shift it with anything else.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

60000 miles its done i will have a look to see if its stretched tomorrow when i do the ccts
alec

Post by alec »

lloydiecbr wrote:60000 miles its done i will have a look to see if its stretched tomorrow when i do the ccts
Hi Lloydie
as you do it can you take pics and send them to me so i can copy lol :mrgreen:
98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home Image
SWAGGER

Post by SWAGGER »

I took mine to the Storm doctor this morning ... damn thing was running like a pig. Turned that one of the plugs was fricked ... the centre came right out of the thing ... just lifted out of the ceramic insulator. I may have committed a sin as well ... there was a beautiful Kwacker 636 sat there saying buy me, buy me. I think I possibly will. That means the Storm will be traded. :(
The force is strong with this one!!!

Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere
Yamaha FJR1300
elric

Post by elric »

Tidied up the wiring around the starter relay.

Had 3 or 4 occasions where I have pressed start and instantly everything dies, all instrument lights and obviously no start either. This only ever happens when starting and is intermittent, things come back to life again a few mins later. It has never lost power when running and I do 60 miles a day.
Checked out wiring diagram and the only place I can see any likely hood is the start relay.
So opened it up today and there is evidence of being played with, Looks like an alarm has been removed, Red was spliced with a short wire poking out and yellow/something was cut with either end spliced to two smallish lenths of wire which had then been twisted together and tapped up. Not really identifying my problem because if the yellow twisted pair had disconnected then there would still be panel lights but no start moter, if the red live had shorted then I expect the fuse would have died. Anyway I cleaned up the live connection and removed the little bit sticking out, I have spliced into the red further away with a tap Image and this is ready for an alarm. I have connected the start wire with a long loop of wire and left the loop under my seat again ready for an alarm (I can cut into this later if I use remote start).
Hopefully no more problems but if it happens again will probably try a new relay.

Finally washed her down and went for a quick spin.
It's only easy if you know the answer!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

alec wrote:
lloydiecbr wrote:60000 miles its done i will have a look to see if its stretched tomorrow when i do the ccts
Hi Lloydie
as you do it can you take pics and send them to me so i can copy lol :mrgreen:
i will do my best :confused
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

started to do the ccts this morning heres some pics

and the i lined up the l timing mark on the clutch cover it lined up and the marks on the cam sprockets
done it only takes a few hours .
thank you for the instructions couldnt of done it without them :thumbup:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

now for a good clean :oops:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

well done, furrriest nuts I've seen for a while, though!
Did you check valve clearances as well, then?
Any need changing?
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

no i didnt check them no gauges and no micrometer :oops: .
i will get some in the next few weeks . as with the nuts and bolts they will all be replaced next winter (full strip down and rebuild ) i only want to do the things that need doing before that .
replace the sump + oil change with filter , headers and a new battery .
and fix the two cracks in the side fairings oh and fit the hids , all of them in the next few weeks ££££££££ permitting
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I wondered why you took the airbox off, as you only need to take off the rear cam cover, then you can do the rest from there; you don't actually need the front cover off in order to do the CCT's.