what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by sirch345 »

Wicky wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:47 pm After some fettling and spannering took it out this afternoon to sunny West Mersea to pose by dog poo bin

Great to be out isn't it :D Weather amazing for October month, 21 degrees according to the car on Wednesday down here. I was out Tuesday on mine. Nice pic Wicky :thumbup:
Mac will be impressed with the dog bin :lol:

Chris.
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Mot and no advisories 😃👍
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Rode it...

Went for a night time ride. Chilly. Testing my electric clothing. The Keis gilet is fab. Lowest heat setting and toasty warm. The Keis gloves were a bit of a disappointment. Max heat and still my hands got cold. I feel some heated grips coming on to help things out.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

tore into the pegaso. rear shock was sh1t so fitted one from an RSV Millie... transformed the wee bike. :thumbup: :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I had Monday and today off, and had a few jobs to sort out, but also wanted to get the SP2 cleaned and put away for the winter- no ride-outs planned until the spring now.
When I got it it had been set up for track use, and the suspension was very solid and unforgiving on the roads; I rode it like that for a year or so as I liked the handling and didn't have to put up with it as a day-to-day ride.
But then I turned 60, and decided that I wanted to rise to the south of France with a few mates, and took a two-day ride to get there, and the same back, either side of a week at a rented villa.
One of the other bikers had a bike satnav, and so we set it to wiggly roads and followed it. It took us all over the place, through little villages and rural roads, and it was a bloody nightmare. The main roads in France are usually pretty good, smooth tarmac and no potholes, but in the villages it's a very different story. Potholes and ridges, overbidding and blobs of concrete filing holes made riding the 2 a nightmare; my teeth kept clacking together, wrists were getting sore and vision was blurry on some sections- just due to the vibration.

So I just wound everything off on all of the suspension settings both ends, but as this was by the roadside I didn't make a note of the original settings or count clicks.
The rest of the journey was better, and after I got back I started to get the settings back to where I thought they should be, but I'm no suspension expert. I understand the principles, but although I improved it (and rode it like that for another couple years, (including Richard about at speed on the Forum meets) it wasn't quite right.
On Monday I phoned HM racing in Edenbridge, Kent, to see if they could fit me in for a Sussie setup, they could, so I took it along.

Turns out I wasn't far out, sag was a bit off, and within a couple of clicks or less on everything else.
Interestingly I found a little bonus: When I bought the bike it had a K-Tech sticker on the front forks, but I didn't know if it was just a sticker, or whether there had been any real work done. I expected to find that someone had put K-Tech springs in, but the HM racing guy told me that it's had internals done as well- without taking it apart he couldn't say exactly what, but it's all good. 108.00 inc vat- not too bad, he spent a couple of hours.

The rear shock is standard, and as it's now done more than 26K I'll have that serviced for now- for a bare shock it's only 100 for a service, oil, seals and a re-gas.

I haven't ridden it far with the new settings; only back home, washed it and put it away, but over the winter it's up for new steering head bearings, so when the front end is off I'll replace the slider bearings, seals and oil, that'll be about as good as I need it.

Obviously a decent rear shock and a fun cartridge kit would be nice, but after all I did have to promise the wife I wasn't going to spend any money on this one, unlike the money pit Storm......well, perhaps. a new front tyre, and completely pointlessly, a remote adjuster for the Brembo RCS mc, (pointless as I've never had brake fade or needed to adjust the mc manually since fitting it); maybe I ought to get both headlights wired to work on dip, (only one side is used as standard, but both on main) and a few other bits and pieces.

A lightened flywheel might be interesting...and I read recently that you can save about a kilo by fitting a 520 chain conversion.......

Any weight saving might be a good idea:

It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Don’t molest it !! Just enjoy it
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

tony.mon wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:27 pm I had Monday and today off, and had a few jobs to sort out, but also wanted to get the SP2 cleaned and put away for the winter- no ride-outs planned until the spring now.
When I got it it had been set up for track use, and the suspension was very solid and unforgiving on the roads; I rode it like that for a year or so as I liked the handling and didn't have to put up with it as a day-to-day ride.
But then I turned 60, and decided that I wanted to rise to the south of France with a few mates, and took a two-day ride to get there, and the same back, either side of a week at a rented villa.
One of the other bikers had a bike satnav, and so we set it to wiggly roads and followed it. It took us all over the place, through little villages and rural roads, and it was a bloody nightmare. The main roads in France are usually pretty good, smooth tarmac and no potholes, but in the villages it's a very different story. Potholes and ridges, overbidding and blobs of concrete filing holes made riding the 2 a nightmare; my teeth kept clacking together, wrists were getting sore and vision was blurry on some sections- just due to the vibration.

So I just wound everything off on all of the suspension settings both ends, but as this was by the roadside I didn't make a note of the original settings or count clicks.
The rest of the journey was better, and after I got back I started to get the settings back to where I thought they should be, but I'm no suspension expert. I understand the principles, but although I improved it (and rode it like that for another couple years, (including Richard about at speed on the Forum meets) it wasn't quite right.
On Monday I phoned HM racing in Edenbridge, Kent, to see if they could fit me in for a Sussie setup, they could, so I took it along.

Turns out I wasn't far out, sag was a bit off, and within a couple of clicks or less on everything else.
Interestingly I found a little bonus: When I bought the bike it had a K-Tech sticker on the front forks, but I didn't know if it was just a sticker, or whether there had been any real work done. I expected to find that someone had put K-Tech springs in, but the HM racing guy told me that it's had internals done as well- without taking it apart he couldn't say exactly what, but it's all good. 108.00 inc vat- not too bad, he spent a couple of hours.

The rear shock is standard, and as it's now done more than 26K I'll have that serviced for now- for a bare shock it's only 100 for a service, oil, seals and a re-gas.

I haven't ridden it far with the new settings; only back home, washed it and put it away, but over the winter it's up for new steering head bearings, so when the front end is off I'll replace the slider bearings, seals and oil, that'll be about as good as I need it.

Obviously a decent rear shock and a fun cartridge kit would be nice, but after all I did have to promise the wife I wasn't going to spend any money on this one, unlike the money pit Storm......well, perhaps. a new front tyre, and completely pointlessly, a remote adjuster for the Brembo RCS mc, (pointless as I've never had brake fade or needed to adjust the mc manually since fitting it); maybe I ought to get both headlights wired to work on dip, (only one side is used as standard, but both on main) and a few other bits and pieces.

A lightened flywheel might be interesting...and I read recently that you can save about a kilo by fitting a 520 chain conversion.......

Any weight saving might be a good idea:

best thing about this bike.. its ridden and not sitting like a polished turd in a garage... keep her at it tony :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Rode it for the first time since crunch day 26/6/18...

Took Custurd for an MOT...Passed no advisories...verbal warning of low rear pads...Happy days... :thumbup:

Then went to visit the other Raspberry Vanstub & his wonkey knee for a natter & a cuppa...

He is moving about more freely now in fact as I pulled up he was just walking down the road from taking his dogs out...

Still a bit sore & slow moving but now sporting a nice beige articulated brace thing...

So give or take 35miles there, not too sore for me arm when rideing but a bit stiff after...

Bit more of a spirited ride on the way home & gingerly round the rounabout of doom on the way home...

All in all happy to be back in the saddle... :D
Last edited by MacV2 on Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

That a Result mac, mobile just in time for winter;)

Bet it was good to be out, but you will almost have to learn to ride again
AMcQ
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

AMCQ46 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:53 pm That a Result mac, mobile just in time for winter;)

Did feel a touch weird pulling me crash helmet on... :lol:

Was a bit stiff & wobbly for the first few turns & junctions but soon got into the flow.

My main concern was having me right arm extended for a long period & if it would get too sore or worse lock up like it did a few weeks in after sling removal... but all good. Was a toch sore but thats eased off now...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Good news, well done.
Maybe it's time for an adventure bike?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

MacV2 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:00 pm
AMCQ46 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:53 pm That a Result mac, mobile just in time for winter;)

Did feel a touch weird pulling me crash helmet on... :lol:

Was a bit stiff & wobbly for the first few turns & junctions but soon got into the flow.

My main concern was having me right arm extended for a long period & if it would get too sore or worse lock up like it did a few weeks in after sling removal... but all good. Was a toch sore but thats eased off now...
Thats a start Mac. :D
It'll get easier the more you do from now on with a bit of luck. Get yourself back to bike fit for the spring and hopefully another bike filled season next year :thumbup:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

AMCQ46 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:53 pm you will almost have to learn to ride again
Again?
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

KermitLeFrog wrote:
AMCQ46 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:53 pm you will almost have to learn to ride again
Again?
Yep!
His first technique didn’t end up too well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Good to hear you're mobile again on the bike Mac :thumbup:

Back to work soon?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts