what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
Commando77

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by Commando77 »

Finally separated the frame from the engine.... Not easy solo withe the rear mount bosses fouling nearly everywhere and a part seized front stud(rg part) :(. Now debating if its worth splitting the cases as the mainshaft brg feel good with clutch off. Still it was always worse hot and since I've got this far...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Rode it...

Went over the Nam to see Vanhobble...

Still getting to kill a few flying bugs on the way home...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
chromedome

Post by chromedome »

Fitted a 'new' starter motor. Having noticed my 'Storm was struggling to start, despite a new MOSFET R/R and a healthy battery, I took a peek under the rubber boot of the starter motor - oh dear! Thanks to the very helpful thread on this forum, I ordered a Blackbird starter from ebay for under £40 delivered, and she now starts first press of the button! VTRs aren't kind to starter motors!
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Started stripping it down for the frame swap.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Fitted more Titanium bolts to the front caliper mounts, that's all of them now.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Cleaned my bike and slapped on winter coating of ACF-50

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Commando77

Post by Commando77 »

Finally got he flywheel off and split the cases. Missed the bolt above the clutch inside the case :?
Pulled the gear clusters and confirmed the main shaft get is knackered....thought I was going mad when it felt ok. Cleaned in petrol and spun up it has masses of end play and a nasty little rough spot. 1st gear has a sloppy needle race....don't know if that's normal?
Mains look pretty good, little wear so I'm leaving them. Will check the rod brgs but expecting them to be ok. Will change those anyway.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Commando77 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:23 pm Finally got he flywheel off and split the cases. Missed the bolt above the clutch inside the case :?
Pulled the gear clusters and confirmed the main shaft get is knackered....thought I was going mad when it felt ok. Cleaned in petrol and spun up it has masses of end play and a nasty little rough spot. 1st gear has a sloppy needle race....don't know if that's normal?
Mains look pretty good, little wear so I'm leaving them. Will check the rod brgs but expecting them to be ok. Will change those anyway.
Good news on the main shaft bearing, at least it was as you thought all along, seen better days,

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

That little bolt got me, too, the first time I split one.
You're not alone....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Commando77 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:23 pm Finally got he flywheel off and split the cases. Missed the bolt above the clutch inside the case :?
The same bolt got me too.

Don't forget new rod bolts when you check the bearings. Use the old one to check and the replace with new.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I'm guessing this bolt I've ringed in red is the little blighter :?: :)

Chris.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

That one and the one behind it are the two reasons you can't split the cases without taking the heads off.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

freeridenick wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:42 pm That one and the one behind it are the two reasons you can't split the cases without taking the heads off.
Handy to know, cheers Nick,

Chris.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

sirch345 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:03 pm
freeridenick wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:42 pm That one and the one behind it are the two reasons you can't split the cases without taking the heads off.
Handy to know, cheers Nick,

Chris.
The one on the inside will come out but the one on the outside won't, but then you can't torque them up.
Commando77

Post by Commando77 »

I see what you mean but any of those bolts can be torqued with a ring spanner and a spring balance. I wonder what Honda did? The outside bolt you talk about undoes ok but stays in place. Are you saying it won't release the bottom end because it fouls on the head?