what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
freeridenick

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by freeridenick »

I owe you several drinks pal. That engine has yielded way more than what you charged me for the pistons. Thanks a million.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

freeridenick wrote:I owe you several drinks pal. That engine has yielded way more than what you charged me for the pistons. Thanks a million.
Your welcome Image
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

spent several hours in the cave today, the winter fun with the blue girl begins :eek2 :eek2 again..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Freeridenick:
Order new pin circlips before fitting.
And measure bore clearance properly - the specs are in Haynes.

I love a nice pair of JE pistons.

Although you might find it runs a bit hotter, if so, a four row oil cooler such as fitted to the SP 1 or 2 does the trick.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

tony.mon wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:34 pm Freeridenick:
Order new pin circlips before fitting.
And measure bore clearance properly - the specs are in Haynes.

I love a nice pair of JE pistons.

Although you might find it runs a bit hotter, if so, a four row oil cooler such as fitted to the SP 1 or 2 does the trick.
Cheers Tony. Circlips will be ordered in the new year along with new rod bolts and I'll be checking the bores too.

Somewhat conveniently the engine the pistons came out of also liberated an SP oil cooler :D
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

do the sp coolers fit straight on?
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

fabiostar wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:35 pm do the sp coolers fit straight on?
Sort of. If you want to fit it in the same place the mount needs moving.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

freeridenick wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:38 pm
fabiostar wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:35 pm do the sp coolers fit straight on?
Sort of. If you want to fit it in the same place the mount needs moving.
happy days not to hard then
:thumbup:

today i started to rip mine to bits,again :deadhorse1:

Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

I got out for my first decent VTR ride in months; unlike many of you northerners, we are just hitting summer. Indeed yesterday was (for an Aucklander) a bit of a scorcher at 25-odd degrees and no wind. Made for a nice photo at Lake Waikare.
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
podman

Post by podman »

Cadbury64 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:40 am I got out for my first decent VTR ride in months; unlike many of you northerners, we are just hitting summer. Indeed yesterday was (for an Aucklander) a bit of a scorcher at 25-odd degrees and no wind. Made for a nice photo at Lake Waikare.
Fantastic shot, those blue skies seem a long way a way here in the UK.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

front subframe fitted ready for new forks...

now... its a small world, iv been offered a ZX7R complete front end.forks freshly sorted. wheel.big discs.yokes and zx10 big brake conversion :D . for very decent money.

now the small world bit is. its from the 7R i built up 5 years ago that i swapped for the yellow storm :roll: :roll:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

podman wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:38 pm
Cadbury64 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:40 am I got out for my first decent VTR ride in months; unlike many of you northerners, we are just hitting summer. Indeed yesterday was (for an Aucklander) a bit of a scorcher at 25-odd degrees and no wind. Made for a nice photo at Lake Waikare.
Fantastic shot, those blue skies seem a long way a way here in the UK.
+2 :thumbup:

Chris.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Turned it into a bike-in-a-box. Or there abouts. Engine out and down to the cases plus bits, shouldn't take long to strip the rest off and split the cases. Bores look good so here's hoping the oil on the pistons is valve seals :|.
Chippieminton

Post by Chippieminton »

wall.j wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:25 am They touched the tank on full turn, and the brake fluid tank touched the screen slightly. Whoever fitted them, replaced all the casing bolts with pink aluminium bolts... I was advised to get these put back to stainless steel asap. He had a bit of a nightmare taking off the sprocket cover... All ordered!
I have this problem with the bars ("they can't reach full lock without hitting the fairing and will not pass MOT") that have been put on the bike I have bought, even thought the conversion was done at least 4 years ago and doesn't seem to have been a problem for other MOT inspectors.

The fairing has already been trimmed (broken) so it's a bit weird. I am not in the same place as the bike at the moment so can't see if something simple could be moved a bit to clear the fairing.

Does anyone know of any original clip-ons going for sale please? Or of a simple fix to get through the MOT? I saw in one of the posts that a stop had been put on to reduce the turning distance by 3mm - is that complex?

I haven't even ridden the bike yet!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Chippieminton wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:07 am
wall.j wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:25 am They touched the tank on full turn, and the brake fluid tank touched the screen slightly. Whoever fitted them, replaced all the casing bolts with pink aluminium bolts... I was advised to get these put back to stainless steel asap. He had a bit of a nightmare taking off the sprocket cover... All ordered!
I have this problem with the bars ("they can't reach full lock without hitting the fairing and will not pass MOT") that have been put on the bike I have bought, even thought the conversion was done at least 4 years ago and doesn't seem to have been a problem for other MOT inspectors.

The fairing has already been trimmed (broken) so it's a bit weird. I am not in the same place as the bike at the moment so can't see if something simple could be moved a bit to clear the fairing.

Does anyone know of any original clip-ons going for sale please? Or of a simple fix to get through the MOT? I saw in one of the posts that a stop had been put on to reduce the turning distance by 3mm - is that complex?

I haven't even ridden the bike yet!
I fitted 3mm stops on my bike after fitting Renthal Ultra low handlebars. Not sure how mechanically minded you are, but for me it wasn't difficult to do. I cut some 3mm thick aluminium plate to replicate the steering stop sizes, I can't remember exactly what the dimensions are, but they are less than 10mm square. I used a contact adhesive to fix them in place which means you don't need to hold the new stops in place while the adhesive goes off.
When I did mine I had the fairing removed, although you will probably be able to do this with it still fitted. The contact adhesive I used didn't seem to hold the alloy stops in place very strongly at first, however overtime it goes off even more making it a good fix,

Chris.