what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
lanny

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by lanny »

MacV2 wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:37 am
popkat wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:42 pm Did a full days work today then stayed late to sort the Storm. oil and filter changed, brake fluid flushed, bike all checked over and an MOT, was really happy with no advisories :biggrin the tester really is a diamond bloke :cool2
The bike hasn't been ridden since early October so needed a bit of love and it got it. It's pretty much all ready for Devon Storm next weekend, the weather's been great for ages, hope that doesn't mean we pay for it next weekend 8O .... better prep the VFR just in case :lol:

I hope the MOT man is less grumpy than some I've had to deal with in the past... :lol: :lol:

:D My M O T guy isnt grumpy, he is getting stricter though, last time i went he said " the test is getting strict now buddy, so youll need to start bringing the bike in"
Salt of the earth old guys who didnt care about charging prices for repairs, when asked for the bill they always said just give us a couple of quid, you can owe us the rest! They just breathed bikes and loved the banter, the kettle was always on and customers were a plenty, some just nattering.
AH the good old days eh!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

popkat wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:42 pm Did a full days work today then stayed late to sort the Storm. oil and filter changed, brake fluid flushed, bike all checked over and an MOT, was really happy with no advisories :biggrin the tester really is a diamond bloke :cool2
The bike hasn't been ridden since early October so needed a bit of love and it got it. It's pretty much all ready for Devon Storm next weekend, the weather's been great for ages, hope that doesn't mean we pay for it next weekend 8O .... better prep the VFR just in case :lol:

:lol: I bet you knew it was going to pass before the test as well :wink: :lol:

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

give the FMX a service today, oil,plug and filter and took the stupid gearing off it. back down to standard rear and plus one on the front for more relaxed open road use, and pushed the forks up through the yokes 22mm so it now steers like a supermoto not a boat, much nicer and i can nearly get both feet on the ground,kinda :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

fabiostar wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:50 pm give the FMX a service today, oil,plug and filter and took the stupid gearing off it. back down to standard rear and plus one on the front for more relaxed open road use, and pushed the forks up through the yokes 22mm so it now steers like a supermoto not a boat, much nicer and i can nearly get both feet on the ground,kinda :clap:
Saw her in the flesh for the first time today. Looks w3ll. Some riding position you had in front too!
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
podman

Post by podman »

popkat wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:37 pm
podman wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:27 pm
Mmmm....in a bit of a dilema now aint I........! The other curve ball is a like my luggage nowadays and the Sport doesnt seem to cater so well for the traveler, MT10 touring could be more suitable for my needs! Aggghhhhh!

The MT brakes are easily improved with some HH pads, lots of people doing it as like you say the initial bit isn't great, the brakes are quite powerful though, you just need to squeeze them a bit... the snatchy throttle is a euro 4 thing, they have fuel cut which shuts off completely, this can be fixed with a reflash, there's a place in Newbury that does good stuff with MT's, if you want to keep it standard then they can remove the fuel cut, lower the fan temp and tweak your fueling a little, also they can adjust the sensitivity of the throttle bodies, power 1 isn't really usable as it's too abrupt, power 2 and 3 work well though, if you go decat then they can also turn off the AIS and the exhaust valve within the ECU, there's nothing there going to make it blow up so should be no troubles with warranty.
The normal IL4 engine and the MT are really different in character, the MT feeling more like a cross between a twin and a V4.
I bought the MT10 as it's got a more practical side over the S1000, a givi rack doesn't loo out of place, the Yamaha screen looks pretty good and suits the bike, the S1000 can only have a small screen or it looks all wrong..
Both bikes are good but for me the want for a bit of weather protection ruled out the S1000 and Speed triple.
In saying all that it's a bit of a love/hate relationship at the moment, sometimes I ride it and it's awesome, then another time the throttle bothers me and p1sses me off, either way though whenever I get home, go in and take my gear off I want to go back out on it again :lol:
Useful info, thanks.

A friend of mine has fitted a "tuneboy?" to his GSX1000 F as the snatchy throttle was bugging him, as you say, its a Euro 4 thing but BMW has done a better job of managing it BUT I agree with you, the MT10 has a far more involving engine and has a more practical side.

I visited the Yam dealer again today just to see if I could twist his arm a little further and noticed the MT also has a power socket as stad, which again is a extra that I would benefit from...bottom line is overall on the deal, the MT works out at nearly £1500 cheaper, thats a lot for 2 bikes being very close on the road..

I'll leave them hanging for another few weeks... :biggrin
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

...& yesterday...

Bits & bobs around a few different Storms... :lol:

Took some bits off CJ Storm...Bit of a spit & polish of Custard & lubed the chain...

Gave Neu Red some more loving...Fresh Oil & fillter & whilst the bikiny fairing was off cleaned the front of the motor...Gave the bikiny a bit of a rub down & a coat of gloss black but it is so badly pitted/chiped swapped it over with a factory black one off Dresden...The one that came off will need properly flatting back & repainting... Then washed the body work dried it off & tucked them all up.

Then today...

Out in the cave @07.00 bloody hours to polish Nue Red before the sun got up & too hot, too bright... Now its nice & clean & shiney all ready to get covered in crap again next weeked @ Devonstorm... :lol:

Oh & fitted the rentec rack & put it on charge...

Then started stripping a rear calliper for Vanstub, who showed up shortly after I'd started the stip down...Down tools for a tea brake. Then back to it, he took his old calliper off, fitted a freshly referbed rear calliper & found some used pads to put in it...Only troble was they wernt actually Storm pads...DOH.

Very slight differnce to the non pad pin end so the didnt quite fit...Must of had the calliper on & off half a dozen times befor getting it right...

Stubbie had taken it off & I kept finding bits he'd missed putting back on... :lol: A little rubber sleeve for the sliding bolt...Then the little square clip that fits on the carrier to keep the pads in place...Oh how we laughed taking it off agian for the 4th time... :roll:

Anyhoo got all sorted & bled up & after another brew & watching the WSBK race 2 he rode off...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
vanstub

Post by vanstub »

Then started stripping a rear calliper for Vanstub, who showed up shortly after I'd started the stip down...Down tools for a tea brake. Then back to it, he took his old calliper off, fitted a freshly referbed rear calliper & found some used pads to put in it...Only troble was they wernt actually Storm pads...DOH.

Very slight differnce to the non pad pin end so the didnt quite fit...Must of had the calliper on & off half a dozen times befor getting it right...

Stubbie had taken it off & I kept finding bits he'd missed putting back on... :lol: A little rubber sleeve for the sliding bolt...Then the little square clip that fits on the carrier to keep the pads in place...Oh how we laughed taking it off agian for the 4th time... :roll:

Anyhoo got all sorted & bled up & after another brew & watching the WSBK race 2 he rode off...
by then end of it we was like a wsbk pit crew LOL after there let themselves go :clap:
happy days as the rear wheel isn't covered in brake dust :thumbup:
now does anyone know were the best place to get a petcock/fuel filter from oem or pattern :?:
Life's too short for plain biscuits :thumbup:
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Busy man Mac!

All I did today was collect my very very recently resprayed fairings. Happy with them. Actually they were so recently resprayed that when I set them in towels the fibres went onti the paint! However the painter is sorting that by buffing them nicely.
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

in a mad day, I've sold the Triumph and the Diaval and bought another Honda !!!
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

A Honda Cub :wave:

I have only gone and orderd myself 1000W DA :crazy: I'm fed up with improvising with a battery drill and want the proper tool for polishing and mainly applying sealants and wax. I must be mad but it can double up as a sander too.
==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

VTRDark wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:45 pm A Honda Cub :wave:

I have only gone and orderd myself 1000W DA :crazy: I'm fed up with improvising with a battery drill and want the proper tool for polishing and mainly applying sealants and wax. I must be mad but it can double up as a sander too.
That'll be it, as Paul used to complain the VTR didn't do enough miles per gallon, he should be alright with a Cub :lol:

You taking up bodywork for a living Carl :?: :wink: :plainsmile

Admittedly a DA will speed the job up :thumbup:

Chris.
podman

Post by podman »

Narrowly missed an accident on it.

Dragged a GSXR1000 from some undergrowth an hour ago after the yong(ish)rider decided to overtake me at about 50 in a 30 and proceeded to go straight on at the next right handed about 20 metres in front of me...

Thankfully he was OK but he proper scrared me as he rolled down the pavement narrowly missing a lamp post.

An ambulance turned up and he told them "I saw him(meaning me) and got excited about having a burn"....Mmm..

I said to him if the police turn up, you skidded on the new tarmac or you'll be in bother.

Anyway, most of the panels where knackered but he rode it home...A good result.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

podman wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:12 pm Narrowly missed an accident on it.

Dragged a GSXR1000 from some undergrowth an hour ago after the yong(ish)rider decided to overtake me at about 50 in a 30 and proceeded to go straight on at the next right handed about 20 metres in front of me...

Thankfully he was OK but he proper scrared me as he rolled down the pavement narrowly missing a lamp post.

An ambulance turned up and he told them "I saw him(meaning me) and got excited about having a burn"....Mmm..

I said to him if the police turn up, you skidded on the new tarmac or you'll be in bother.

Anyway, most of the panels where knackered but he rode it home...A good result.
What is it with some riders in 30mph limits. I had a rider this Sunday gone (when I was out on my Storm) on a Z1000 who decides 30mph wasn't fast enough for him/her in a 30mph limit. I had seen he/she was behind a car who was directly behind me in my mirrors, what I wan't expecting was him/her to pass both of us in a built up area, and pass me rather too close for comfort :evil:
I'm not trying to make out am any saint, but I do try to respect speed limits in built up area's where pedestrians could easily be.

Glad to hear your GSXR1000 rider was okay, although I'm sure it would have been a shock for you. He was very lucky,

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

It's a new tool and it can be used for numerous things. I wouldn't mind getting into detailing but there's not much chance of that so it could make a nice hobby.
==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

VTRDark wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:30 am
It's a new tool and it can be used for numerous things. I wouldn't mind getting into detailing but there's not much chance of that so it could make a nice hobby.
It is a handy tool to have I agree, it'll certainly make things easier with your VTR's body work paint and polishing,

Chris.