what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by sirch345 »

mik_str wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:58 pm Went to the dealer to have a new Road 5 rear tire installed, had them put the original flywheel in (to replace the lightened (-2.6 lb) version I had been running). Why the change? The engine was perhaps a bit too lively for the street ( I was also concerned about the omni-present "chugging" whenever I fed it gas in a determined manner; already broke one crank, don't want to go there again), something that was made somewhat more evident when I rode a friend's Thruxton R last weekend. I had been thinking about it for some time and decided to give it a go. It has definitely calmed the engine down (a bit too much to be honest, t has lost some of its incredible "urgency") so I will run it this way for a while and see if I like it better. Of course, flywheel or not, my bike has had a massive reduction in rotating weight (aluminum clutch plates, loss of quieting gear, conrods, -20 lb from wheels and rotors...). It still lights up, just a bit more smoothly. Again, will ride it for a while and decide if I like this better. I suspect I will stay with this as I only ride on the street, though if I rode the track I would keep the light one.

Other point is I installed some smaller pilots (35s; NOT a typo! lol) as I was running the 38s with the fuel screws all the way in. Remember my bike is far from stock and adding the X-wing-type carb device, I believe (among numerous other things), has greatly improved the intake signal, causing the fuel to be pulled up at a feverish rate. I have 33s on order too in case these are still a bit too rich (bike is a little but burbly at steady throttle just above 3K rpm). Ah, the life of a pioneer, lol

cheers
Some interesting thoughts there on the flywheel Micky :eh:
and your pilot jets :)

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Duplicate post
Last edited by tony.mon on Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

A small pilot might be right, but the bigger the hole, the less weight.......
Thought about fi?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Nice work Al, the XSR had a hard week, 300 commuting miles into the Smoke with dodgy weather so gave it a good clean and adjusted chain - oil and filter time tomorrow. I bought the bike with 766 miles on it, now has 2550 and oil looks dirty through the sight glass so thought might as well then I know its been done - anyone using Castrol GTX in their bikes or motorcycle approved only engine for fear of clutch-slip?
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

tony.mon wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:52 pm A small pilot might be right, but the bigger the hole, the less weight.......
Thought about fi?
oh sure, you just had to throw that in there, didn't you... :crazy:
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Today I hav maily been riding Nue Red back from Stalagluft Harwich ... :lol: :lol:

Only joking I paid a vist to Jonesy & Michaela's rode up yesterday & in the evening we went on a little 100 odd mile rideout with some mates of Jonesy.

Just never ever mention the Sat Nav missinformation when you see him... :shh:

I said don't mention the sat nav missinformation...FFS
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

I showed a bit of patriotism and dragged out this:
Attachments
200621 1.jpg
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

That triumph looks the dogs nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AMcQ
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

AMCQ46 wrote:Imagej

All fitted just need the rain to stop

Test ride today, 150 miles of fast sweepers. dodged the rain and had a bit of fun playing tig with a lad on a z1000 and later with a golf vr5

Conclusion....... oh yesImageImageImage

AMcQ
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Fitted led pilot bulbs to match the main beam ones, then fitted a usb waterproof socket with in-line fuse so I can charge my mobile while using it as a sat nav.

Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

todays ride brought me back in love with the Storm, which was a contrast to the first outing on it about 1 month earlier, where I decided I enjoyed riding the KTM more!!!

I might just be fickle, or it might be the new shock, or the fact I moved the rear sets forwards about 1", but after the all day ease of riding the big KTM it was a real delight to be on such a small, light, nimble and naughty bike for a focussed few hours.

I have been missing the endless joy of 2nd gear overtakes sitting on the back wheel as you go past :twisted: ..... its good to be back
AMcQ
nigelrb

Re: what have you done to your

Post by nigelrb »

AMCQ46 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:52 pm
Test ride today, 150 miles of fast sweepers. dodged the rain and had a bit of fun playing tig with a lad on a z1000 and later with a golf vr5

Conclusion....... oh yesImageImageImage
150 miles is a top effort. Great to see that we have a 'rainless' run of weather through to end of June. :D
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

and Nigel, I went through Bidford today, you might have heard me :lol:
AMcQ
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Cleaned, adjusted, lubed the chain, then did the oil and filter, used Castrol GTX (clutch slip?) as it was what I had and the Hi Flo 204C - nice chrome fella:

I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:33 pm Ready for Croft tomorrow.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MQC2t6CwV3LxSjmX8

Hope I stay alive....
Soooo … how did it go at Croft?
AMcQ