what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
tony.mon

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by tony.mon »

freeridenick wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:58 pm Finished stripping an engine ready for a rebuild in the new year. I can't decide whether to pull the pistons out though. The main bearings need replacing so it's probably worth doing the rod bearings too. The bores look fine and pulling the pistons will make it easier to clean and paint. Doing that means new rings though.
Five gold rings?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Commando77

Post by Commando77 »

Probably not a bad idea, depends how many miles on them? Any serious ridges at the top? New ones should have the bores lightly honed to break in new rings quickly. If you can't do this then some 240 abrasive paper can substitute but you can't beat a light honing! If you're using the old rings mark the piston with the gaps and try to reinstall like that. They do move around the pistons sometimes but if you keep it all as it came apart then it's got to be good.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Chances are the bores will be in good condition with the original honing marks still visible.
The bores in these engines don't seem to glaze very much if at all.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

The honing makes are still visible and there's no lip at the top. Unfortunately I've no idea of the mileage as I picking it up as a spare with a CTT failure.
I won't get the bores honed if I replace the rings though, I made that mistake on my other engine: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=34603&p=351706&hili ... gs#p351706
Commando77

Post by Commando77 »

So probably not worth it. TBH there's so much information out there on ring break-in... No oil on install, lots of oil, just a smear etc. Hard or gentle break-in. Engine manufacturing vids on hand-built engines never seem to show much oil applied. Finishes are so good these days, since the 90's that is, that bores and rings are likely better matched. Like they say though... Break it in like you intend to run it and getting the rings pushed hard against the bores with combustion under decent load intermittently is popular, keeping revs sensible. I guess Roger Ditchfield would be a good source for experienced advice....best of luck with the motor...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:51 pm
freeridenick wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:58 pm Finished stripping an engine ready for a rebuild in the new year. I can't decide whether to pull the pistons out though. The main bearings need replacing so it's probably worth doing the rod bearings too. The bores look fine and pulling the pistons will make it easier to clean and paint. Doing that means new rings though.
Five gold rings?
Good to see you are still in Christmas spirit Tony :lol:

Chris.
fabiostar

Re: what have you done to your

Post by fabiostar »

AMCQ46 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:52 pm
Duffy1964 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:44 pm Or maybe just keep it Al Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shhhh.... that's absolutely not what i might be thinking
that garage is so crowded you should get rid of at least one of them,, say that wee orange kwacker by chance :D :D
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

a strange day, took all three a good we scoot today, alls going great then :D

the man came to pickup the DD flywheel, what happened next just proves im an old git :eek2 . he pulled out a box with wires, plugged it into my DD, then pulls out his fone and proceeds to make it talk to my bike, wtf has the world come to, this black mans magic box through his fone balances my throttle bodies, sets my tickover, increases the genny output to help starting and the bike is running better than it ever has.

well i be dammed... :clap: :clap: :clap:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It's the way things are going, Fabio, I didn't even need to put gloves on to tune the SP, what's the world coming to?

I need a degree in IT to set up the Aprilia.....
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

fabiostar wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:37 pm . . . wtf has the world come to, this black mans magic box through his fone balances my throttle bodies, sets my tickover, increases the genny output to help starting and the bike is running better than it ever has.

well i be dammed... :clap: :clap: :clap:
Yep, some of us old fogies are being taken over by technology. Gone are the days of lifting a tank and seeing only a pressed steel or triangular upper section (CB750) a set of coils and leads to spark plugs. That was it. Our kit consisted of a few tools, feeler gauges for the 2mm inlet and 3mm exhaust tappets (most Hondas) and a stroboscope to properly set timing.

Today, one needs a Bachelor of Electronics, computer, software packages - most of which are licenced so cost heaps. And then, taken further, another Bachelor of Hydraulics degree for bleeding some of the damn ABS systems.

But it gets worse! The 2020 Blade has friggin' keyless ignition! What the frig am I going to throw into the bowl at the next wife-swapping party!! 8O :wink:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It gets worse. Electronic Sussie setting, dialling how how high you want the wheelie to be, choosing what level of lean-sensitive ABS and traction control you want. This easy option doesn't get any easier......

I'm gonna turn it all off sometime in the summer, and see how quickly I end upon my buttocks.

Then I'll turn it all back on again and pretend it's me doing the controlling.... :?
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Iv decided new bikes do everything better, stop ,go,handle,blah blah blah but i dont like them as much, they lack sole..

thats not to say the first chance i get im gona get the DD out and have a ball of a time.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

fabiostar wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:05 pm Iv decided new bikes do everything better, stop ,go,handle,blah blah blah but i dont like them as much, they lack sole..

thats not to say the first chance i get im gona get the DD out and have a ball of a time.
As in the flat fish or the bottom of your shoe ?

You need to get some of this in your life...

The Godfather of Soul...

Or better still Soul Sacrifice...

Featuring Tony on the maraccas... possibly...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Off out to the MacCave...I may be some time...

Some time later...

Washed 4 weeks of crap off Custurd. Cleaned, lubed & adusted the chain. Topped up the oil, checked tyres & took the seat off. Has some tears & the foam has got wet as the previous tape repair had seen better days...I'll let it dry & see if I can do anthing better with it. It's not a std seat & is very comfy so I want to use it.

Then rebuilt some callipers.

Finaly after swapping it over back in the spring...I cleaned up the shock linkage that went through the previous two winters. Twas a bit manky, but cleaned up OK just needed a new bearing in the small end of the Dog Bone & a new 'cushion'. Boxed that back up ready for the Spring swap.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Dropped some ultra low rise bars on to mine. So far so good. Not actually ridden it yet but here's hoping !!