what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
kenmoore

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by kenmoore »

Nothing much except ride it.

I have owned this bike for some time now and it's never ceases to amaze me .

Always fun,

I like to go for rides of about 250 - 400'miles.

2 to 3 tanks of fuel is a good day out.

Usually stop at a few pubs and have a couple of bevvies, nothing silly just a thirst quencher or two ( Australia gets hot you know )

I just love V Twins, the sound, the torque, the all round aural experience when you are getting up them and they wail.

On a sad note,

I have a brother who is 3 years older than me that had a TLS1000 for 13 years and he has just sold it.

I know the bike well as I have done a lot of work to it.

At least he bought a Honda,

A VFR1200 no less. it has heated grips, hard wired GPS, full,panniers and only 8,000 miles.

For Christmas I am going to get him a pipe and slippers .

It will be interesting to ride with him however,

I am sure I will miss the syncopated lilt from the V Twins when they were in sync at high speed.

Time will tell, I know one thing, and that is that I won't be getting rid of the VTR EVER.

If I do buy another bike it will stay.

So,

After all this what I did today was.

Appreciate my VTR .
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

kenmoore wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:40 pm Nothing much except ride it.

I have owned this bike for some time now and it's never ceases to amaze me .

Always fun,

I like to go for rides of about 250 - 400'miles.

2 to 3 tanks of fuel is a good day out.

Usually stop at a few pubs and have a couple of bevvies, nothing silly just a thirst quencher or two ( Australia gets hot you know )

I just love V Twins, the sound, the torque, the all round aural experience when you are getting up them and they wail.

On a sad note,

I have a brother who is 3 years older than me that had a TLS1000 for 13 years and he has just sold it.

I know the bike well as I have done a lot of work to it.

At least he bought a Honda,

A VFR1200 no less. it has heated grips, hard wired GPS, full,panniers and only 8,000 miles.

For Christmas I am going to get him a pipe and slippers .

It will be interesting to ride with him however,

I am sure I will miss the syncopated lilt from the V Twins when they were in sync at high speed.

Time will tell, I know one thing, and that is that I won't be getting rid of the VTR EVER.

If I do buy another bike it will stay.

So,

After all this what I did today was.

Appreciate my VTR .
Nice post Ken :thumbup:
The part about the VTR, I certainly get where you're coming from 8) :D

Chris.
thelens

Post by thelens »

Fitted a givi topbox yayyyyyy :D
Pain in the ass to fit, but looks rather good.
Sunday I will see if I notice it, while riding. :crazy:
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

AMCQ46 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:54 pm
freeridenick wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:17 pm Took it back to Three Sisters racing again yesterday.
and ... we need the full report :thumbup:
Full report now in the racing section.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

took the newbie to get a new matching road 5 on the front, then cut the screen down as it was to big and fitted it behind the front cowling. rather chuffed with it all.

the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

fabiostar wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:56 pm took the newbie to get a new matching road 5 on the front, then cut the screen down as it was to big and fitted it behind the front cowling. rather chuffed with it all.

You attention whore.... :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

He likes a colourful bike for sure.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
MacV2

Re: what have you done to someone elses "bike" yesterday

Post by MacV2 »

So last week Kiron my neighbours son knocked on me door & asked if I could help him adjust his chain...Yes really! Its a CBR 125 & he is 21 & a feking muppet... :lol: :lol:

So I had a look at it it was dragging on the floor... 8O The chain is shot weedy little thing not much bigger than a push bike chain...

Anyway I sorted it out with the advice that he needed to buy a new C&S kit...

Then he tells me he has no front brake & has been riding it like that for a while...Did I say he was a muppet ?

He's convinced its a warped disc & when he uses it, it sticks on...Nah Kiron thats not a warped disc its probably a sticky piston...'But when the garage changed the pads they didn't say that...'' Did they strip it down ? '' Nah just changed the pads...'' No new fluid ? '' Nah just the pads...''

OK when you get back from work tomorrow give us a knock... This would have been Sunday he said he would be back @ 16.00 I was out in the cave tinkering & he didn't show up I gave up & packed up gone 17.30...

Anyhoo on Weds as I got home he was out the front doing something to the bike...' give me 10 mins or so to sort meself out & then we'll crack on with it.'

So I pulled the calliper off, took the pads out, pumped the leaver & sure enough one sticky piston...

This is a twin piston sliding calliper, same idea as the Storm rear but with 2x 20mm pistons...

Only thing it wasnt sliding as well as having a stuck piston & nice dark brown fluid...

So stripped it down had to slide hammer* the stuck piston out, cleaned all the crap off the pistons, the slider pins & the calliper body, one of the dust seals was a bit crusty but cleaned up OK... Red Rubber grease on all the rubbers & sliders, seals & shiny pistons back in. Bolted it back on, bled it up, nice fresh DoT4, nice & firm on the leaver & checked the disc wasn't warped...it wasn't.

'Just remember when you next ride it dont yank the leaver on, just a gentle pull until you get a feel for it...'

Well when I got home tonight he was again out the front, so he didn't die from loseing the front end whilst jamming the brakes on or the brakes failing coz I missed a bolt out somewhere... :lol: :lol:

He's much happier... Still a muppet...only has a provisional & it already has 6 points on it... :roll:

* Calliper piston pulling tool set...if you havent got one add one of these to the tool kit... Blinding bit of kit, I have the piston pliers as well but to be honest they do more damage than good & most times wont even budge a slightly stiff piston...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorbike-Mo ... 0005.m1851
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

fabiostar wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:56 pm took the newbie to get a new matching road 5 on the front, then cut the screen down as it was to big and fitted it behind the front cowling. rather chuffed with it all.

Aw you tease you Rob, nice photo 8)
MacV2 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:00 pm So last week Kiron my neighbours son knocked on me door & asked if I could help him adjust his chain...Yes really! Its a CBR 125 & he is 21 & a feking muppet... :lol: :lol:

So I had a look at it it was dragging on the floor... 8O The chain is shot weedy little thing not much bigger than a push bike chain...

Anyway I sorted it out with the advice that he needed to buy a new C&S kit...

Then he tells me he has no front brake & has been riding it like that for a while...Did I say he was a muppet ?

He's convinced its a warped disc & when he uses it, it sticks on...Nah Kiron thats not a warped disc its probably a sticky piston...'But when the garage changed the pads they didn't say that...'' Did they strip it down ? '' Nah just changed the pads...'' No new fluid ? '' Nah just the pads...''

OK when you get back from work tomorrow give us a knock... This would have been Sunday he said he would be back @ 16.00 I was out in the cave tinkering & he didn't show up I gave up & packed up gone 17.30...

Anyhoo on Weds as I got home he was out the front doing something to the bike...' give me 10 mins or so to sort meself out & then we'll crack on with it.'

So I pulled the calliper off, took the pads out, pumped the leaver & sure enough one sticky piston...

This is a twin piston sliding calliper, same idea as the Storm rear but with 2x 20mm pistons...

Only thing it wasnt sliding as well as having a stuck piston & nice dark brown fluid...

So stripped it down had to slide hammer* the stuck piston out, cleaned all the crap off the pistons, the slider pins & the calliper body, one of the dust seals was a bit crusty but cleaned up OK... Red Rubber grease on all the rubbers & sliders, seals & shiny pistons back in. Bolted it back on, bled it up, nice fresh DoT4, nice & firm on the leaver & checked the disc wasn't warped...it wasn't.

'Just remember when you next ride it dont yank the leaver on, just a gentle pull until you get a feel for it...'

Well when I got home tonight he was again out the front, so he didn't die from loseing the front end whilst jamming the brakes on or the brakes failing coz I missed a bolt out somewhere... :lol: :lol:

He's much happier... Still a muppet...only has a provisional & it already has 6 points on it... :roll:

* Calliper piston pulling tool set...if you havent got one add one of these to the tool kit... Blinding bit of kit, I have the piston pliers as well but to be honest they do more damage than good & most times wont even budge a slightly stiff piston...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorbike-Mo ... 0005.m1851
Good read Mac :thumbup:
Thanks for the caliper piston puller kit link :thumbup:

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Six points.
Well, clearly, applying the back brake only when spotting the camera didn't work....

It's a wonder any of us made it out of our teens.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

tony.mon wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:09 pm Six points.
Well, clearly, applying the back brake only when spotting the camera didn't work....

It's a wonder any of us made it out of our teens.
He has just, he 21... points wern't for speeding, something silly like number plate & then getting stopped the next day by the same copper for the same thing... :roll: He probably gave a load of lip to the copper as well which never helps...

He's been driving around in a car despite not haveing a licence to drive... Got followed out of Grain by the ARSV which is based down at the LNG plant, they pulled up behind him when he stopped, & basicaly nicked him on the spot, car gets crushed he gets away with just more points...

It was 3.30 in the morning & 3 up in the car & he complains about being stopped... Did I say he is a muppet ?
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Swapped out the fork internals for some rogered ones.
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Went of a 2 tank ride and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Windy and freezing cold, one of the coldest rides I have ever done.

One guy on the ride bought a newspaper and stuffed it in his jacket he was so cold.
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Replaced the sprockets. Chain is still good.

Also changed the old sprocket guard out for one I got from Mac. Clutch bled and all good for Friday.
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
thelens

Post by thelens »

New rear tyre.... bt 023.... came to the house and fitted to the bike.... £115.... ace :D