Garage Door - Additional Bolts/locks - Enfield Or Asec Brand

General Biker Banter
Tempest

Garage Door - Additional Bolts/locks - Enfield Or Asec Brand

Post by Tempest »

I've decided I'm going to get a set of these as I like the way they work and the fact they don't SHOUT "There's something expensive in this garage"

http://www.saundersonsecurity.co.uk/aca ... _KA_P.html

I also see the same things appear to be made by another company

http://www.discountlocks.co.uk/Asec-Hig ... 20bolt.htm

Does anyone know if there is any difference between these two brands, their key quality, security etc?

Wondering if one if the REAL Quality item and one if the cheap copy item?

Thanks.
MacV2

Re: Garage Door - Additional Bolts/locks - Enfield Or Asec B

Post by MacV2 »

I have something very similar installed on my garage door. Got mine from a pukka locksmith shop in Romford called Romford Security, in Victoria Road. About 5 years ago now so I cant remember how much they were but £40 is in the ball park. The Item you want is called a SHOTBOLT.

I also had a steel ''shoe'' made up in a fabricators that wraps around the door frame, has a foot on the inside which is raw bolted into the floor, coach-bolts all the way through the frame plus a few large screws all holding the ''shoe'' in place. Maybe a bit belt & braces but hey I've lost one bike from a locked garage already!

The metal tubes shown in the details on the second link are just a push fit into the door frame so are only really as strong as the door frame, hence I felt the need to strengthen it all up with the addition of the ''shoe''. I just made a cardboard template took to a fabricator & he knocked it up from a sheet of steel in a very large press & drilled all the bolt & screw holes as required.

IMHO don't go for the cheapest option when it comes to locks, you pays your money.......

I think those two in the links are the same product but I could be wrong, the only difference to my ones is mine are silver not black.

Worth it on any up & over garage door because they are so flimsy & take my word for it very very easy to get in to even when locked! How ever I will not reveal on here just how to go about it!!
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
MJONESY

Post by MJONESY »

I know aseq stuff is good the company i work for uses a lot of their stuff for keyed alike euro cylinders and padlocks their stuff seems to stand up well to the pikeys after the copper on our sites (they usually go through the palesade fencing instead) and it can sometimes be 12 months between a keys being put in the locks and seem to cope well with it.

as for the quality of the other make i have no idea
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

These seem to be the ones I have, but not 100% sure, however look at the difference in price! I have to admit here that at the time of my purchase I was spending loads of money at the shop for various locks for where I worked, so I did get a very good deal, cost I believe, hence the £40 in the earlier post.

Before you all ask, I haven't been in there for getting on for 4 years so I doubt I'd get the same discount!

http://www.saundersonsecurity.co.uk/aca ... RT316.html
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

Thanks to you all for replies so far.

Think I will go with these: http://www.discountlocks.co.uk/Asec-Hig ... 20bolt.htm

I have the normal metal up and over door. I have made my own thing at the top inside which the sprung hook pings up into, but I've sure a crowbar and a lot of brute force would get around that, albeit with a heck of a lot of noise !!!!!

I do have two alarms fitted also, which make a hell of a noise :)

I'll fit these two bolts either side which will lock the sides of the door into place also.

As I said, I like these as they are not particularly obvious unless you really look for them.

The Defender ones, the ones that fit onto the ground and have a metal bar that goes up against the door, whilst I'm sure they are good, they do, to me anyway, SHOUT "There's something really expensive in here" to anyone. Even me, if I saw a garage door with one of these, my instant reaction would be to think, Ohhh, there much be something valuable in here, look at that bright red large metal bar thing at the bottom of that door.

When what you really want it to have people think you only have an old lawnmower, a crappy old bicycle and some wood offcuts, and perhaps an old rabbit cage ;)
storminateacup

Post by storminateacup »

He you tried the shotgun in a vice and bit of string approach :angel:
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

storminateacup wrote:He you tried the shotgun in a vice and bit of string approach :angel:
I thought I could cut a spyhole in the door and hang a naked photo of Margaret Thatcher in front of the lens, At least then when I see some vomit down the door I'll know someone's been snooping.
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

I stuck old fishing tackle with treble hooks around the windows in my garage I got the b8stard too :D right in the arm pit :evil: :biggrin