Spark plug location

General Biker Banter
bazsergison

Spark plug location

Post by bazsergison »

Hi all I am going to change my spark plugs on my vtr but not sure where to start / where they are and what's involved ,,,, as I have never had a v twin before any help / pointers will be great full
Wicky

Re: Spark plug location

Post by Wicky »

VTR1000F (Superhawk) Firestorm Service Manual PDF > http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=18025
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I am going to change my spark plugs on my vtr but not sure where to start
With a plug spanner.

Now someone asking how to change a spark plug concerns me, but I guess we all have to start somewhere. You will have to raise or remove the tank to get to the rear plug. Follow the HT leads and you will find the plugs. Stick a bit of copper slip around the thread on the new plugs and don't overtighten them. Make sure you seat the HT leads back on the plugs fully.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
bazsergison

Post by bazsergison »

I no how to change a plug just did not no where they are hidden on a v twin :-)
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Sorry I misunderstood you, it was the not sure where to start and what's's involved bit that got me :lol:

Well in answer to your question the front one you can access easily from the front, look behind the oil cooler. And the rear you will see once you raise the tank. :plainsmile

bazsergison

Post by bazsergison »

Ha ha :-) all striped down found them both but bloody did not have a 18mm long socket :-( gutted so hat to put her all back togeather again :-( bad time ,,,, but at least I can do it all over again to Moz night with a beer in my hand
Saintsman27

Post by Saintsman27 »

The plugs are not as straightforward for removal ...... and the rear sp plug ... well the tank has to be lifted and sp plug socket to fit ..preferable with inside rubber grommets to hold the plug...as you lift it out when loose is really handy .. front plug is deep in the motor and you will need an extension socket bar . if you are stuck I am not a million miles away from you and I will do a drive by with these goodies to help you... no probs give us a shout .. :thumbup:
macdee

Post by macdee »

Saintsman27 wrote:The plugs are not as straightforward for removal ...... and the rear sp plug ... well the tank has to be lifted and sp plug socket to fit ..preferable with inside rubber grommets to hold the plug...as you lift it out when loose is really handy .. front plug is deep in the motor and you will need an extension socket bar . if you are stuck I am not a million miles away from you and I will do a drive by with these goodies to help you... no probs give us a shout .. :thumbup:
good man saintsman27 :thumbup:
told you not to but oh no you knew better
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

+1

baz check the Honda toolkit under your seat if you have one as that should contain a spark plug tool in the there. I use one of those Blue T handle plug spanners from Halfords. 12mm plug spanner.

bazsergison

Post by bazsergison »

Cheers all i am going to get a socket to day and get it done :-)
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Sockets usually can't reach it.

You only have clearance for a tube type (box) spanner.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

Saintsman27 wrote:The plugs are not as straightforward for removal ...... and the rear sp plug ... well the tank has to be lifted and sp plug socket to fit ..preferable with inside rubber grommets to hold the plug...as you lift it out when loose is really handy .. front plug is deep in the motor and you will need an extension socket bar . if you are stuck I am not a million miles away from you and I will do a drive by with these goodies to help you... no probs give us a shout .. :thumbup:
No Jap bikes are, Japs seem to put everything into the tiniest hidden places.