Spondon Swinging Arm

General Biker Banter
chris56

Spondon Swinging Arm

Post by chris56 »

Taken me Three years to track this Spondon down But at long last I have done it !!! Found at racefit in Matlock owner John Keeling top guy Sold me this Superb piece for the "Beast" I own Fitting as soon as possible ! Envy out there I think so lads :D All I need to do now is track down the Ohlins front end that was on Ebay about £years ago as well This was a ONE OFF if ANYONE knows about this piece let me know PLEASE
STAGE 2 Moriwaki Storm Moriwaki Engine Rebuild Pistons Cams Valves etc Moriwaki Air intakes.Air Filter Mod
Full SAMCO race hoses; Lightened Fly Wheel Dynojetted; KN Filter; Moriwaki Exhaust Moriwaki Carbon Belly Pan Titaniam Nuts & Bolt WP R Shock
lloydie

Re: Spondon Swinging Arm

Post by lloydie »

It's no good unless you have the spondon frame to go with it and the much larger dymag rear wheel .
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

But I do know two members that will take it off your hands
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

You and who else...Mmmm, I wonder. :lol:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
chris56

Post by chris56 »

Maybe right mabye wrong Frame Mod maybe But who cares this is gooing on the bike Do you know where the Ohlins front end is ? somewhere in Essex was the last time i saw it In Finchingfield
STAGE 2 Moriwaki Storm Moriwaki Engine Rebuild Pistons Cams Valves etc Moriwaki Air intakes.Air Filter Mod
Full SAMCO race hoses; Lightened Fly Wheel Dynojetted; KN Filter; Moriwaki Exhaust Moriwaki Carbon Belly Pan Titaniam Nuts & Bolt WP R Shock
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

No never seen it , do you have any pics ?
lloydie

Spondon Swinging Arm

Post by lloydie »

You could buy this one for the spondon frame http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331257391866? ... 866&_rdc=1
But you will sill need the 6.5" dymag wheel
chris56

Post by chris56 »

There was only ONE made It was owned by a Honda Race mechanic for (forget which rider) I was under bidder at £1200 Then met the guy who bought it at Finchingfield in Essex Pure coincidence Told me the guy from Honda got into serious trouble for selling it !
He had been too Rhencullen racing for a "Set Up" They called Honda and as i say they were NOT HAPPY this was out in public So if anyone sees it I am willing to pay a Good price for this piece
chris56

Post by chris56 »

Just in case How much would YOUR TWO members be willing to Pay for this super welded Uniqe piece of ART !! if you want private u can email on chris56@ntlworld.com Curious as well to find out how much this is worth to any of us
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I'll let them know
gl_s_r

Post by gl_s_r »

Chris.. I was just looking at your signature. How come your not running ram air on the stage 2 and have a K&N?
Why ask... sometime you just go to do it and find out?
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

its possible it's my old swingarm, iirc there was six or seven made, you'd have to ask rodger ditchfield to get the full story, and as lloydie said, it runs a much wider dymag rear wheel, good find tho, never heard of the ohlins front end, again maybe ask rodger...
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
gl_s_r

Post by gl_s_r »

chris56 wrote:Just in case How much would YOUR TWO members be willing to Pay for this super welded Uniqe piece of ART !!
Firstly well done for the persistence in tracking it down and getting it.. good find and detective work.

This is going to come across wrong I know as people don't like these sort of responses but I thought about it and here goes...

As it's missing the actual bike frame, rearsets, rear subframe, yokes, rear Dymag (a set would be better) and front subframe and taking into consideration they wanted around £700 to build a brand new one and yours is second hand... i'd probably give around £300 or so because as it stands it is a swing arm, different yes, rare yes but on it's own it's a swing arm. It is a single part of a larger model... As a whole spondon set with everything else then that would be different. If I had the rest of the parts and needed this to complete the bike then i'd pay maybe a little more to maintain the collective of the bike but if I was that concerned about it all I'd just get another one made new rather than be held ransom by someone trying to get over the odds for it out of principle.

It is a lot easier now to get work done to bikes and things made so it really comes down to heritage and the stigma attached to a maker such as Spondon... for example people here are having swing arms welded up and created a lot more than before and actually thinking about how they want them to look and then have them welded up and made. They don't need Spondon or anyone to do that as much now with welders and machine shops being quite readily available. So the need to have these trick parts becomes less and hence it's only the name attached to the part that makes it special.

I think that's the trouble, it's like having a bonnet and two doors from a Bugatti where six were built. The parts would fit a mondeo with a little bit of bending and cutting.... they would be lovely and rare and fit the car you have now, with that bending and cutting but at the end of the day it's two doors and a bonnet and not the original and full Bugatti. You can tell everyone they are beautiful, rare and a piece of art but it still doesn't take away the fact that is it what it is... two doors and a bonnet. I feel a bit sorry for the guy who has a Bugatti and is short of a bonnet and two doors though if they get cut and bent to fit a Mondeo lol.

I think the shameful thing is people splitting the parts up from the beginning and that is the sad part where the history/heritage of the bike and all the parts that should make it something special are scattered. They then get butchered in one way or another to fit other things like the frames and the single sided swingers and I think it's sad to see parts end up like that. They still remain a little special but in single parts they somehow lose a little something as well..

anyways... at least you know how much I'd give you for it!
Why ask... sometime you just go to do it and find out?
chris56

Post by chris56 »

Thanks for your thoughts on this Cant sell for £300 though Looks like going to have to do a bit of work to get this arm fitted :lol:
Bananaman

Post by Bananaman »

gl_s_r wrote:
chris56 wrote:Just in case How much would YOUR TWO members be willing to Pay for this super welded Uniqe piece of ART !!
Firstly well done for the persistence in tracking it down and getting it.. good find and detective work.

This is going to come across wrong I know as people don't like these sort of responses but I thought about it and here goes...

As it's missing the actual bike frame, rearsets, rear subframe, yokes, rear Dymag (a set would be better) and front subframe and taking into consideration they wanted around £700 to build a brand new one and yours is second hand... i'd probably give around £300 or so because as it stands it is a swing arm, different yes, rare yes but on it's own it's a swing arm. It is a single part of a larger model... As a whole spondon set with everything else then that would be different. If I had the rest of the parts and needed this to complete the bike then i'd pay maybe a little more to maintain the collective of the bike but if I was that concerned about it all I'd just get another one made new rather than be held ransom by someone trying to get over the odds for it out of principle.

It is a lot easier now to get work done to bikes and things made so it really comes down to heritage and the stigma attached to a maker such as Spondon... for example people here are having swing arms welded up and created a lot more than before and actually thinking about how they want them to look and then have them welded up and made. They don't need Spondon or anyone to do that as much now with welders and machine shops being quite readily available. So the need to have these trick parts becomes less and hence it's only the name attached to the part that makes it special.

I think that's the trouble, it's like having a bonnet and two doors from a Bugatti where six were built. The parts would fit a mondeo with a little bit of bending and cutting.... they would be lovely and rare and fit the car you have now, with that bending and cutting but at the end of the day it's two doors and a bonnet and not the original and full Bugatti. You can tell everyone they are beautiful, rare and a piece of art but it still doesn't take away the fact that is it what it is... two doors and a bonnet. I feel a bit sorry for the guy who has a Bugatti and is short of a bonnet and two doors though if they get cut and bent to fit a Mondeo lol.

I think the shameful thing is people splitting the parts up from the beginning and that is the sad part where the history/heritage of the bike and all the parts that should make it something special are scattered. They then get butchered in one way or another to fit other things like the frames and the single sided swingers and I think it's sad to see parts end up like that. They still remain a little special but in single parts they somehow lose a little something as well..

anyways... at least you know how much I'd give you for it!
+1 :thumbup:
Four wheels move the body,
Two wheels move the soul.