vtr/firestorm facebook pages

General Biker Banter
agentpineapple

vtr/firestorm facebook pages

Post by agentpineapple »

this is just an observation, but the forum seems quiet these days. I was wondering if the facebook pages have a part to play in this.
i'm a member of 3 different f/b pages, and at least one of them has over 1300 members, and its very busy.
I also know that many member from this forum are more active on the f/b pages than what they are here.
the layout of f/b allows more interaction and it's easy to post pictures. it's also a format that people know and have gotten used to over the last decade, with all the apps and interaction.
there is also a sale's/parts page.
one thing the f/b pages will never be able to do, is other the wealth of workshop knowledge and technical data that we have.
is it me or is our forum becoming a little dated, there aren't many builds in the pimp section, and what builds there are, aren't being updated very often. or is it just the time of year, where lots of members are on the holidays.
I've also come across some negative opinions towards our forum on facebook, saying the vtr1000.org site is clicky and full of misinformation.
I've responded to these statements of course, defending what I believe to be a great forum.
not sure if there will be a continued growth in the f/b pages and a drop off in members on here. is there a way of getting our members to be more active, maybe we should be making more of an effort to welcome new members and making them feel at home.
of course this is just my opinion, and I might be talking crap, it wouldn't be the first time....
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Ckennedy

Re: vtr/firestorm facebook pages

Post by Ckennedy »

Shut up Marty :lol:

I some ways you have a point but like you say Facebook is no where near as knowledgeable as this place is. To be honest I can't be bothered with the Facebook ones. I have a look every now and then but the majority of what I see are stupid replies that make no sense what so ever. At least new members on here listen and more often than not get the right answer first time round. I think with the summer weather being the way it has had had an impact as a lot of people will have been out and about enjoying the sun either riding or what ever and most people opt for Facebook as like you say it can be easier than using this forum for quick updates but iv found using tapatalk is a great way to get around that, makes linking photos easy and quick.

All in all anyone who has a storm should be on this forum. Since being here iv made loads of friends, had some great times with some of you lot and of course iv been scared by you with a shaven chest and tassels, what more could a bloke ask for? :roll: :lol:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

I suppose it could be construed as cliquey the way threads often go off on a lube based tangent that any new members may not understand...

IMO FB is a bit faceless TBH if that makes sense & at least on here you can look at what you want when you want & not have to trawl through endless drivel about someone's last breakie/lunch/eve meal...Or pictures of fluffy cats & dogs (man dog exclude that's just funny...)

The VTR one that Merv started kinda got hijacked & taken over so I left it. The parts one is a bit meeerrr...but if your happy selling your stuff on there Marty... :lol:

The big fact is FB is more geared format toward phones & tablets so is easier to use.

I don't have a phone or tablet & don't feel it ness to check my profile every 10 mins.

So I will always look in here first from the comfort of my own home.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
chric

Post by chric »

No prefer my click on here
Ill never be a sell out storm forever
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I refuse to go near FB on principle.......... mind you I am normally not too keen on internet Forums either!

yes this place could be seen a cliquie, as there is a strong sense of membership and lots of in jokes, but I also think that we welcome in new people fairly unconditionally and its down to them if they want to fit in or feck off.

That said, if there are ways to improve we should consider it. It would be a sad day if this community were to disappear, there is too much that is good here, both in the written knowledge database but also the people, so get back off FB and support the place that brought you all workshop days and Jamies mum.
AMcQ
Virt

Post by Virt »

I'm a member of about 3 of the FB groups and I can't say I like them..

I got spammed with notifications of everything until I deactivated them, but now I get none and I have no motivation to visit them because there isn't anything interesting happening and I don't get away with being an annoying little sh1t :lol:

I also dislike some of the advice given, I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about mechanics but you ask a question and get 3-5 different answers on FB. Here you'll usually get one, and usually when more are offered there's explanations so even I can read and understand... Whereas the FB is just 'do this way', 'do that way' from several people and nothing more.

Much prefer the forum overrall. It's easier to keep up with because you don't have to scroll endlessly, I can post a discussion and it will last more than 20 minutes because it won't get buried, tapatalk is much faster on mobile devices because it doesn't drag through all the sh1t that Facebook does and there are some great people here that I've gotten to know :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Don't do FB, twitter or any of that bollox. I don't feel I need instant gratification/validation from anyone " ooh, ooh love me, I've just had a crap that looked like a cuddly toy!" (i haven't, it's just used as an illustration!)
The forum has been here a good long time, contains all the information I need and has great members, who are very willing to help with parts and info. In times of crisis we have worked together to help less fortunate individuals.
There are still plenty of posts to read through and the projects will start once the sun goes away.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
simo

Post by simo »

I think it's just the time of year Marty, and have thought the same. You also make some good points, especially posting pictures which is not straight forward to me. All said and done this is a fantastic Forum. :thumbup:
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Kev L wrote:Don't do FB, twitter or any of that bollox. I don't feel I need instant gratification/validation from anyone " ooh, ooh love me, I've just had a crap that looked like a cuddly toy!" (i haven't, it's just used as an illustration!)
The forum has been here a good long time, contains all the information I need and has great members, who are very willing to help with parts and info. In times of crisis we have worked together to help less fortunate individuals.
There are still plenty of posts to read through and the projects will start once the sun goes away.
+1 Kev I agree totally, I never get all this FB shite, this forum is the Bollox end ov :thumbup:
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

I agree with a lot of whats been said, I regard many of you guys as a second family and I've never known a forum like it, I just wonder where the next group of new members who are willing to contribute will come from.
i'm forever pointing f/b members towards this forum as the knowledge here is second to none. I also understand the reasons for having photo host sites,
but as youngsters grow up using social media, they will turn to f/b first and might not even see our forum.
they aren't to know about Jamie's mum, and it's best they don't know about madame marti..... :oops:
there aren't any had or fast answers, I just thought it was worth discussion..... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Interesting post Marty.

I use Facebook, but this forum has restored my faith in humanity & can never be superceded by anything, ever!

Done :)
Jamie :wave:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Jamoi wrote:Interesting post Marty.

I use Facebook, but this forum has restored my faith in humanity & can never be superceded by anything, ever!

Done :)

So the old farts and the young punks like it.... I guess it just depend which clique you fell mast at home with
AMcQ
countrymick

Post by countrymick »

speaking as a relatively new member,i carnt see the point of face book.my daughter carnt go without it but to me its mostly mindless chit chat.you boys pretty much know your stuff.picks links could be easier.and it can seem a little clicky as its quite a small forum and you regular boys all know each other quite well.so you do seem to talk between obviously good mates at times.i must try and get to the Scottish run and meet a few of you.!us newbes to have to try to!.being self employed with kids etc I don't get much time on line so at least when I do this place makes sence with a few laughes thrown in,we do have to move with the times ocasionaly but therte are times when one step forward is definitely two steps back.keep up the good work :thumbup: :beer:
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

you have to remember that the facebook firestorm pages are better than the normal f/b crap, where you get people posting how they're going to the toilet or what they're having for dinner....
you do get lots of colour related banter, probably too much tbh. but you also get lots of special projects and interesting posts. so it doe's have it's place.
even I get pissed off with the normal f/b, to the point where I block the people that post the crap and games requests, so it's important not to think of them as the same.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

F/b ant Twatter are fine for the quick one line message or pictures but for a conversation or information the forum format is far superior.
With regard to the lack of traffic, all the bike forums have gone quiet, my other interests have had varying numbers of posts, depending on whether they are an outdoor type activity or not. Everyone is out there enjoying doing whatever they do and not stuck in front of the web.

Actually I don't think I have found a good F/b bike page, :confused