Vinyl Wrap

General Biker Banter
grinner1969

Vinyl Wrap

Post by grinner1969 »

I have been messing around with spray on the top part of my fairing, needed after welding. But couldn't bring myself to spray the other bits, so thought I would play with vinyl wrap
agentpineapple

Re: Vinyl Wrap

Post by agentpineapple »

difficult stuff to work with, but with practice it can be made to look very good indeed, you look like you've done a decent job.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Looks sweet Mr G... :thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Well done Grinner :clap: good on you for having a go with the vinyl wrap.

I see you've mastered the posting of photo's now spot-on :thumbup:

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Don't forget to dispose of the old oil that's in the washing basin and there is a spade holding your garage door open. Next time can you turn the garage light on :lol: :lol:

Looks like you have done a good job with the wrapping. I'm not too sure on the Black either side of the headlight. Looks great on the mudguard though. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
grinner1969

Post by grinner1969 »

Thanks for the cyber advice Carl on cleaning my garage etc and yeah, I must admit I am not sure about the black on the fairing either. Will see if it works once I have wrapped over the other bits.
Thanks for the positive comments too guys :thumbup: , I am sure that by the time I come to the last bit I will have it down to a T.
And yep, I have cracked the piccy thingy too, now that I have moved to photo bucket
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Very interesting. I've got a whole load of respraying to do to cover welded plastics: both sides and seat and the tank is down to the metal from removing a tank pad. So basically the whole bike. I'm not completely sure I can get the finish I'm after with no painting skills and spray cans so was wondering about vinyl.

Easier that painting? More or less expensive than paint?
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

vinyl wrap is extremely difficult to work with, the fuel tank being almost impossible to complete in one sheet of vinyl, it also helps to use the best quality wrap you can afford, I got reasonably good at it, but even I wouldn't attempt to do a complete firestorm. good luck if you decide to go down that route, i'd suggest buying a small amount of vinyl wrap and getting in some practice...... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Where's that vid of the guy wrapping a tank using some kind of machine. Someone posted it on the forum a while back.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
grinner1969

Post by grinner1969 »

freeridenick wrote:Very interesting. I've got a whole load of respraying to do to cover welded plastics: both sides and seat and the tank is down to the metal from removing a tank pad. So basically the whole bike.

Easier that painting? More or less expensive than paint?
Cost if DIY I think may be slightly cheaper, also once done pieces can be mounted straight away ie no need to wait to allow to dry, depends how patient you are :?:

Personally, yes it's difficult, but take your time it's doable. I bought smallish amount of mid priced matt black from the bay, also got some trimming tape (have a look on youtube for tips on how to use this stuff, much better than a knife alone) I ruined 1 piece by having heat gun too hot, also found that fitting it in direct sunlight kept it pliable for longer. I am still not sure whether I want to permanately change the whole colour ie spraying, I luckily (apart from the fairing tops) have most of the marks/damage down the middle of the fender, tank and cowl so thought I would give the wrap a go, if I don't like it then it can be peeled off again. I don't think I would try a whole bike just yet, had to do the fender in 2 sections, back then front, also not sure I would use matt black either, in certain light you can see like stretch lines in it, not too visible but I know they are there. I am going to continue to do the tank and rear cowl, just because I have the stuff here, but may well change to a gloss or metalic, will decide when I have finished.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Looking forward to seeing how you get on. I'm nowhere near ready to try either paint or vinyl yet, so plenty of time for research and a bit of practise.
grinner1969

Post by grinner1969 »

freeridenick wrote: I'm nowhere near ready to try either paint or vinyl yet, so plenty of time for research and a bit of practise.
You can't say that you ain't ready to try it mate, I had never done vinyl before but thought, after research (you tube is brill) gave it a go, you don't know till you give it a go.
Just an add on from my last post when I said "looks like stretch lines", been and had a look again, it's basically where you have to stick, then peel off, heat and re-stick, it's left faint lines behind, hopefully I can either sort it out with the matt black or that with gloss it will not be noticed :shh:
all about playing around with this stuff, you no likey, peel it off and start again (sure that was a song in 80's) :lol:
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

You can't say that you ain't ready to try it
I meant I've got loads to do first, not least of which is getting the bike back together. The bodywork repairs all need smoothing off before I get to either paint or vinyl. Got some knackered bits I can practise on in the meantime though.
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

glad to see you've tackled this.
I need to cover some teal up desperately and im crap with a rattle can.

do you need a heat gun or would a hairdryer do?
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
grinner1969

Post by grinner1969 »

grumpyfrog wrote:

do you need a heat gun or would a hairdryer do?
I would think that a hair dryer on hot setting would do a good enough job as all you are looking to do is warm the vinyl enough to make it soft and pliable enough stretch around the curved bits