Are the "young uns" of today as reckless as we were

General Biker Banter
StuartWags

Are the "young uns" of today as reckless as we were

Post by StuartWags »

Having seen the result of the age poll i can clearly see were the bulk of the age group are.

So most of us can remember the days when seat belts were an option and wearing full face helmets was a bit soft. How standards of changed.

I am pretty sure that most of the youth of today would not dream of riding a bike in the sort of gear I did. Anyway i found a couple of polaroid (yes really) photos from back then.

The result of over exuberant riding, in experience and completely inadequate riding gear.

Never used to wear gloves but once you have seen the your knuckle joints moving when you wiggle your fingers it, kind of won me round. Same with the full face helmet thing.

StuartWags

Re: Are the "young uns" of today as reckless as we were

Post by StuartWags »

Oh and a 17 you could jump on an RD250LC with L plates and no tests or training
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

:lol: :lol: Ouch ! :lol: :lol:

I'd be more worried about the eyebrows TBH ...do they meet in the middle ?

The tash just looks like an eyebrow that has popped down for a drink... :lol: :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

there is a bit of a monobrow thing but there was a big chunk out in that are too that i assume was related to the helmet peak being broken in two
macdee

Post by macdee »

not a scratch on the helmet ,his face did a good job of saving it
told you not to but oh no you knew better
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

wasn't into bikes when I was a teenager, but I can remember doing some pretty stupid things in a car.... :(
nowadays my mates kids are just passing their tests, and for insurance purposes they need to have the little black box fitted in their cars..... :twisted:
poor sods can't get away with anything these days, probably for the best, but part of being young was about making mistakes and hopefully learning from them.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Great picture Stuart, funny as he'll and so true.

Used to ride field bikes round the farm with welly boots and a wooly hat, jeans and a jumper. Wheelied it jumped it, crashed it every way imaginable. When the brakes stopped working we just took them off and kept riding it :D
My brother still lives on the farm and he still rides off road with no helmet! :eek2

And it wasn't till I started racing at about 30 that I stopped riding in jeans and discovered the joy of full leathers and body armour.
AMcQ
Virt

Post by Virt »

I dunno, I stayed up until 1am last night/this morning even though I had to leave at around 11 this morning..

Badass or what?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

Virt wrote:I dunno, I stayed up until 1am last night/this morning even though I had to leave at around 11 this morning..

Badass or what?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
but your not a teenager anymore ymv.......... :roll:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
macdee

Post by macdee »

it was the best of times
it was the worst of times
back in the mid 80's my brother had a rd 350 parked in the garage it was white lovely bike

Any way he always took the keys of said bike with him when he went to work not knowing that his younger brother had found a key to fit the ignition but for some reason it wouldn't open the tank,
way around this is to use a syringe an inject fuel into the tank for the carbs takes a while but well worth it ,doing the ton around your home roads with no helmet jeans and tee shirt eyes streaming was really cool and tough ,this went on for a few weeks in the summer sun "great" that was until the neighbors informed on the rider :oops:
when the older much bigger bro got home the sibling was handled in a rather rough manner :Boxing:
didn't deter the youngster tho had a few lucky escapes form crashes and the cops
weapons of choice Rm 250 and a ty175 and a gt 250 and a load of old bangers and tractors oh and a van
Happy and really stupid days
(the observer ?:lol: )
Last edited by macdee on Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
told you not to but oh no you knew better
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

AMCQ46 wrote:Great picture Stuart, funny as he'll and so true.

And it wasn't till I started racing at about 30 that I stopped riding in jeans and discovered the joy of full leathers and body armour.

Mallory 25/10/14 was my first taste of tarmac in anything that resembled a sufficient amount of protective equipment. It seemed like a real bonus not having any holes in my skin
darkember

Post by darkember »

In my view it is all relative. In our day the ultimate target was breaking the ton between the X7 then the LC's that obliterated it. I do believe we were crazier, crap gear, atrociously poor handling machines and alcohol one deadly mix with a 17 year old at the helm :lol: :lol: :lol: . But we have to look at it pragmatically. We are still hear to tell the tale...........
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

they're too busy playing their f***in' video games and sending text messages on their phones to have time to ride, or even think about, bikes :roll:
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

Back then my standard riding gear was a cheap laughably thin leather jacket a pair of Lewis Leathers motocross boots, jeans a pair of Reusch gloves and a Kangol "Hondastyle" lid. Hows that for brands of the past??

When I came off the only damage was to the boots and gloves!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The fun bit was living longer than the ages everyone told me I wouldn't live to see.

"You'll never see 21......"
then 25, then 30.....

But now, all the people who used to say that are dead, or worse, boring....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.