Dual Mass Flywheel

General Biker Banter
popkat

Dual Mass Flywheel

Post by popkat »

The wifes car (c max) has been doing this vibrating at idle when warmed up for about 6 months or more(not ogt any worse in that time) it makes the whole car shake when sitting in traffic or at the lights, it doesn't do it until it's warmed up and done a few miles, well sometimes you can feel it faintly from cold.. put it into a garage yesterday and they said it's dual mass flywheel. I've asked a few places their opinion over the last few months by describing the symptoms and they suggest vacuum leak, misfire, injectors or DMF, I got the garage to do a leak off test and to check for fault codes, came up all ok, they still say it's DMF but it's not the normal symptoms as far as I'm aware, Problem is if I pay £700 for a new DMF and it still does the vibration thing I'm going to be proper pissed off, also finding £700 isn't going to be easy, I was trying to find ways to borrow some money for another storm I've seen, doesn't look like that will happen now :( Feckin Cars :evil:

Anyone here know about DMF's ?, there's no vibration through the clutch pedal, no rattling when running or start up or switching off. If I bring the clutch to the biting point the vibration stops or if I raise the revs to 1000rpm (it ticks over at 800rpm) it stops. it can feel a bit rough sometimes when pulling away up to 3000rpm but not all the time, the car pulls fine and has plenty of power. it's a 1.8 tdci...
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Fireman on a Storm

Re: Dual Mass Flywheel

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

I have a VW Transporter T4 and have just had the clutch and DMF done. If the DMF was knackered you would get clutch judder when pulling away and it's would be worse cold and damp.

Talk to M&M transmissions in Romford the fixed mine and have been in the business for over 40 years. Describe your problem over the phone and they will give a valid opinion
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

This might be worth a look if you haven't already seen it of course:-
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/dual-mass-flywheels/

Chris.
popkat

Post by popkat »

sirch345 wrote:This might be worth a look if you haven't already seen it of course:-
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/dual-mass-flywheels/

Chris.

Interesting read, mine has no knocking or rattling though ?.

Fireman, I'll give them a ring, they'll probably ask to see it though which will be a little too far to travel :lol:
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

Did you notice the video on Honest John was from a garage in Exeter? http://www.garageexeter.com/
popkat

Post by popkat »

Fireman on a Storm wrote:I have a VW Transporter T4 and have just had the clutch and DMF done. If the DMF was knackered you would get clutch judder when pulling away and it's would be worse cold and damp.

Talk to M&M transmissions in Romford the fixed mine and have been in the business for over 40 years. Describe your problem over the phone and they will give a valid opinion

Just rang them, really nice helpful chap, he said he's pretty sure the flywheel has jammed up, and you wouldn't get the normal symptoms of rattles and feeling it through the clutch pedal. Thanks for the tip to phone them, I'm now fairly sure it is the DMF, just got to find £700 now :(
popkat

Post by popkat »

Furrybiker wrote:Did you notice the video on Honest John was from a garage in Exeter? http://www.garageexeter.com/

Didn't notice that when I first watched it, just down the road...well 45 miles away ;)
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

popkat wrote:
Fireman on a Storm wrote:I have a VW Transporter T4 and have just had the clutch and DMF done. If the DMF was knackered you would get clutch judder when pulling away and it's would be worse cold and damp.

Just rang them, really nice helpful chap, he said he's pretty sure the flywheel has jammed up, and you wouldn't get the normal symptoms of rattles and feeling it through the clutch pedal. Thanks for the tip to phone them, I'm now fairly sure it is the DMF, just got to find £700 now :(

I thought he'd be helpful my T4 was £850 to fix so i know you have t find it but £700 seem reasonable
monkeymatt

Post by monkeymatt »

Just my opinions from experience as I seem to repair more clutches and dmf issues than anyone else at work probably because they like easy quick jobs!!
The symptoms you describe are that typical of a "failing" dmf. Quite often you will never have any issues with the clutch pedal or clutch but more noises from the dmf.
Fords are a good candidate for dmf failure esp later mondeo models focus and c max as most engines are the same just badged differently .
I know from experience the dmf is believe it or not cheaper from the main dealer .
As luk is the preferred replacement but please check part numbers before it gets put in as the luk option is 2 mm thicker and interferes with the friction plate as I found on many occasions .
700 quid for a dmf is a good price but let's hope they change the whole clutch kit for that price as from memory a dmf is 220 from fords + vat and clutch kit approx 130+vat .
Hope that helps
carmanbikes

Post by carmanbikes »

I changed mine last month a Citroen C5 Hdi the clutch worked fine but the DMF was just noisy and rattled but no vibrating of the car or like it was missing, I got a LUK clutch kit and Dmf £300 and £100 to have it fitted
monkeymatt

Post by monkeymatt »

My audi a4 tdi destroyed the dmf the clutch was fine if it wasn't for a slight noise on idle I wouldn't have even thought about it .
My dmf was 140 (trade) and 6 hrs of pulling it apart
Watty

Post by Watty »

monkeymatt wrote:My audi a4 tdi destroyed the dmf the clutch was fine if it wasn't for a slight noise on idle I wouldn't have even thought about it .
False economy not replacing the clutch while your in there though! Especially if you're keeping the motor :?
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
monkeymatt

Post by monkeymatt »

Watty wrote:
monkeymatt wrote:My audi a4 tdi destroyed the dmf the clutch was fine if it wasn't for a slight noise on idle I wouldn't have even thought about it .
False economy not replacing the clutch while your in there though! Especially if you're keeping the motor :?
It certainly is false economy to not change the clutch clutch kit was already purchased from a previous audi a4 but never got the chance to get it done before it was hit up the rear end .so it was used on this 1
Watty

Post by Watty »

monkeymatt wrote:
Watty wrote:
It certainly is false economy to not change the clutch clutch kit was already purchased from a previous audi a4 but never got the chance to get it done before it was hit up the rear end .so it was used on this 1
I was wondering :? , even more so with 6hrs labour! I do know people that don't replace the clutch at the same time though 8O
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
nt1980

Post by nt1980 »

There are kits that do away with the dmf and reverts it back to how they used to be a friend had his done doesnt seem any different pain in the back side these dmf
1998 black vtr (mods cbr900 fork conversion, ohlins rear shock, ohlins steering damper, prolite discs brembo master cylinder, goodridge braided lines, harris rear sets, Quick shifter,Mario Fairing, etc)