getting into bike racing

General Biker Banter
hondavtrchris53

getting into bike racing

Post by hondavtrchris53 »

i have thought about getting into bike racing now for some time and still wonder to this day, only thing is i have no previous experience on the track or racing at all. the only thing i have done before is with my off road trails bike (sherco) back in 2004 when i used to enter competitions and used to love it. but keep on thinking that i would love to be able to race my storm. and for some strange reason i would like to be able to give guy martin the run for his money lol.
so where would i start... clubs, low funds could be an issue, etc etc. and others to ride and train with would be an advantage or better someone who would be willing to train me up and hopefuly see me go far..
im been serious here guys so please play nice lol.oh and im 26 years old 6 ft tall and skinny as a stick no no excess weight for my storm to pull i have to hold on for grim death as it is lol
grumpyfrog

Re: getting into bike racing

Post by grumpyfrog »

hope you have extensive deep pockets.
personally I would have thought a couple of track days in first to see how you get on/ comparison with some fast riders before you go spending mega bucks..
good luck however you go with it.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Yep join us for a few track days next year and see how you get on.
From what I've been told racing ain't cheap at all and takes up a lot of weekends tho you don't get much track time ,
Also being good with tools is a must
thomas111

Post by thomas111 »

Hi hondavtrchris I have just retired from racing due to my 2 kids racing Minimotos I raced in the Scottish championship started racing 08 got the bug after a few track days on my hornet and with my big cousin racing for crescent Suzuki in bsb ( john crawford ) and it can be very expensive I set myself a budget but you can go over it tyres -fuel - entry fees - crash damage we hope we don't but its racing also your tyres depending what class you enter and how competive you are 2 to 3 sets per weekend I was pre injection I tryed to make one set last full weekend but depending track temp how hard your pushing on the tyre once you no ur bike you will learn to no what the feedback from the tyre is telling you is time for a new set of rubber first thing to do is join a club then they will give u a form to apply for you licence if ur down south it will be ACU up here in Scotland its SACU
hondavtrchris53

lloydie wrote:Yep join us for a few track days next year and see how you get on.
From what I've been told racing ain't cheap at all and takes up a lot of weekends tho you don't get much track time ,
i would love to join you and im good with tools not had any mechanical or electrical task beat me yet as i have been mechanicing since i was young and still to this day love repairing engines be it car or bike. last bike engine i repaired was on my previous vtr 1000 which failed me at 9000rpm on a dual carriageway :oops: , a few new valves and a top end rebuild and a day of my time had my storm up and running again. i then sold that bike and as far as im aware its still running sweet to this day :D. anyhow save me as a friend and let me know when and where and will arrange to come ride with you.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

hondavtrchris53 wrote:
lloydie wrote:Yep join us for a few track days next year and see how you get on.
i would love to join you and im good with tools not had any mechanical or electrical task beat me yet as i have been mechanicing since i was young and still to this day love repairing engines be it car or bike. last bike engine i repaired was on my previous vtr 1000 which failed me at 9000rpm on a dual carriageway :oops: , a few new valves and a top end rebuild and a day of my time had my storm up and running again. i then sold that bike and as far as im aware its still running sweet to this day :D. anyhow save me as a friend and let me know when and where and will arrange to come ride with you.
Keep an eye on the ride out threads for track days as a few of us will be doing a fare few next year :thumbup: and it'll be great to have another one to race with
hondavtrchris53

lloydie wrote:
hondavtrchris53 wrote:
Keep an eye on the ride out threads for track days as a few of us will be doing a fare few next year :thumbup: and it'll be great to have another one to race with

i just seen the thread now but count me in, :thumbup:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

the trick is to join a class of racing that suits your budget so the cost of bike and repairs will be inside the capability of your pocket.

I raced for 5yrs on a single cylinder MZ250 based bike that was used for a 1 make race series [Formula Lightweight], and was also eligible for earlystock, and it was great close racing [and you will have more fun in a close race on a slow machine than you will have riding by yourself on a superbike].

I am pretty sure they are still running the championship now under the British MZ racing club name, but it looks like similar rules, where the cheque book is not as important as the rider and the engineer = fun :)

http://www.bmzrc.org.uk/
AMcQ
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

They do a Honda CB500 series also, don't they?

I'd love to do something like that! IOM TT after that :D
Jamie :wave:
hondavtrchris53

well its looking like im going to do a few track days but limited on space for bikes as only have storage room for 1 bike been my firestorm so going to go down that route with my storm and see where it leads.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Aren't there race experience weekends you can buy with MZ or TZR 250s? I'm sure I've seen features in mags hailing them as top fun.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

yes the MZ club will hire a bike for you to race
AMcQ
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

AMCQ46 wrote:yes the MZ club will hire a bike for you to race
Thought so. Sounded great when I read about it. Might be a birthday treat for myself next year.