I've had a bike accident

General Biker Banter
simon t

I've had a bike accident

Post by simon t »

So the other day I went to my GP about my dodgy knee, but happily it had improved in the couple of days since I rang him (yep 2 days typical for GP appointment here). Reckoning it might be time to get back on the bike I decided to check the battery condition and run it in the garage for a bit. Not wishing to fill the house with exhaust fumes I closed the garage door behind me and descended the steep steps in darkness. You know what's coming don't you?

Yep, somewhere near the bottom step I put my foot out into thin air and flew gracefully for what seemed ages - until I hit the deck. So where does the bike come in? As I flew balletically I managed a half twist so that my back hit the footpeg of the TTR, positioned strategically at the foot of the stairs. And the TTR, being an off-roader doesn't have nice, smooth ally and rubber pegs. No it has jagged steel crocodile jaws. I now had a very large bite out of my back.

After rolling around in agony for a bit, I picked myself up and got Haze, then my GP, to do some temporary repairs, before heading to A&E at Gap. Where they saw me, stitched me and discharged me in about 40 minutes (what was that about missed 4-hour targets?). And now I'm back to square 1 with a buggered knee and no biking in sight. Anyway I've now drawn blood on a bike for the first time - without even leaving the garage. Doh!
StormingHonda

Re: I've had a bike accident

Post by StormingHonda »

2 Days wait is bloody good, your accident is a good as the one I had where I slipped and stabbed myself in the head with a wallpaper scraper, my daughter came in and screamed at the scraper stuck in my head and the blood running down my face, which made me laugh.

Being the worrier I am I spoke to the phone service NHS about needing a tetanus jab as the blade was rusty, only to wait for 6 hours in the A&E and have the doctor sit there in hysterics when I explained why I had a large cut on my forehead.

sh1t happens.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Ouch !

To both posts...but Jay I laughed as well, sorry... :lol: :lol:

Anyone else feel a comedy injury thread coming on ?
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
darkember

Post by darkember »

StormingHonda wrote:2 Days wait is bloody good, your accident is a good as the one I had where I slipped and stabbed myself in the head with a wallpaper scraper, my daughter came in and screamed at the scraper stuck in my head and the blood running down my face, which made me laugh.

Being the worrier I am I spoke to the phone service NHS about needing a tetanus jab as the blade was rusty, only to wait for 6 hours in the A&E and have the doctor sit there in hysterics when I explained why I had a large cut on my forehead.

sh1t happens.
Should have left the scraper in your head you would have been seen instantly :lol: :lol: :lol:
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

Another funny accident and this one could have been serious but luckily it wasn't.

My granddad and I were fishing years ago and we had a couple of fellas in the next swim, proper pain in the butt, kept shouting and laughing loudly generally being obnoxious.

They were using a fly, nasty looking son of a bitch, spikes out of every side, the reason I know this was as the asshole whipped it back the damn thing stuck in the side of his head.

I had to sit there listening to a grown mad cry like a little girl till he went to the hospital.

Was a lovely day after that.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

:eek2 Big gash from metal pegs. I know that one as that's what ripped my ankle off so it was hanging by a thread when I had my big off years ago. I also broke my fema at the same time. Luckily for me this was right outside St Thomas's Hospital where I met an island and lamppost in the centre of the road. Paramedics arrived super quick and sent me on a lovely trip. :biggrin

Sorry to hear about your little incident. It's never nice to hurt oneself or the bike.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

simon t wrote:So the other day I went to my GP about my dodgy knee, but happily it had improved in the couple of days since I rang him (yep 2 days typical for GP appointment here). Reckoning it might be time to get back on the bike I decided to check the battery condition and run it in the garage for a bit. Not wishing to fill the house with exhaust fumes I closed the garage door behind me and descended the steep steps in darkness. You know what's coming don't you?

Yep, somewhere near the bottom step I put my foot out into thin air and flew gracefully for what seemed ages - until I hit the deck. So where does the bike come in? As I flew balletically I managed a half twist so that my back hit the footpeg of the TTR, positioned strategically at the foot of the stairs. And the TTR, being an off-roader doesn't have nice, smooth ally and rubber pegs. No it has jagged steel crocodile jaws. I now had a very large bite out of my back.

After rolling around in agony for a bit, I picked myself up and got Haze, then my GP, to do some temporary repairs, before heading to A&E at Gap. Where they saw me, stitched me and discharged me in about 40 minutes (what was that about missed 4-hour targets?). And now I'm back to square 1 with a buggered knee and no biking in sight. Anyway I've now drawn blood on a bike for the first time - without even leaving the garage. Doh!
That crap and hope you manage to get out on it soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

That sounds painful fella. Hope you improve to biking levels soon.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Watty

Post by Watty »

Jesus! That's bad luck mate :( Get well soon :thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
midlifekrisis

Post by midlifekrisis »

steep stairs in the dark isn't funny and the 'flight' seems to take ages, the pegs sound a bit vicious, get well soon (and a light)

Dave
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Get well soon Simon, get a light fitted on the stairs,

Chris.
tattie

Post by tattie »

Hi Simon,
Get well soon and like Chris said, get a light fitted to the stairwell.

Cheers

A.M.
Common sense ain't all that common!
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

or a stair lift :wink:
Take it steady old bean, you could have damaged a perfectly good bike :wink:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

Those nonexistent steps will get you every time. So sorry mate! Landing in that foot peg made me hurt for ya!
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
simon t

Post by simon t »

Er, about that light. Actually got a 500 watt floodlight in the garage (it's a old barn), but the switch is in the house. So rather than turn it on, go down, open garage door, go back up, turn it off, I chose the lazy way.

Result - hours of pain, weeks of disability, GP's bill, two trips to A&E (the second at 4.00 in the morning for pain relief - 12 hours on a drip), a tank of diesel, some very expensive dressings from the pharmacy, trip to district nurse and my favourite merino wool pullover destroyed. Total cost so far at least 200 quid, (though the health thing the most important).

Anyway, the point of this post is - next time, like me, you suffer from lazyitis, think again and make that little extra effort. :roll: