Advanced rider training?

General Biker Banter
trig

Advanced rider training?

Post by trig »

Hi all, first post here so don't be to harsh lol.
I have been riding on and off for 28 years and I am sure I have some bad habits that need correcting, so I have been thinking about some kind of advanced training. Just wondering what are your experiences of it.

If its taken by an ex or serving policeman will i have trouble with my loud exhausts?
Any recommendations of trainers in the Essex (Chelmsford/Maldon) area?

I know I can 'Google' to find places but that will only give an address, there's more value in the opinion of someone who's done the course.

Many thanks.
Trig.
trig
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Re: Advanced rider training?

Post by firestorm_al »

The training is worth its weight in gold IMHO. As long as the policeman is off duty then an exhaust shouldn't be an issue unless he is a complete Nazi (I haven't men an off duty cop who hasn't had a race can on their bike at some point.

If you approach it from the point of view of improving your riding and observation with the intent on continuing to try and improve your riding then that's the way to do it. I've seen some people do the training to gain their advanced riders certificate then once they have it all the training seems to go out the window (much like car drivers once they have passed their test).

I belive that I wouldn't be alive today had it not for undertaking training and trying to apply that and improve my riding everytime I am out.

Hope you find someone suitable and get the same out of it that I got.

Al.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Best things I ever did to improve my riding - both IAM and the Police Safe Rider courses.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

The police safe rider course can be eye opening. never underestimate how fast those guys can go on full tourers.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
trig

Post by trig »

Thanks for the replies, will be looking into it soon. I am hoping that a mate of mine will go, I enjoy a ride out with mates sometimes but when I see some of his overtakes it makes me cringe!
trig
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

https://www.facebook.com/groups/367411176737119/

Try Chris Reed at Rider art training. He is the chairman of essex advanced motorcycle group and a top bloke.
I worked with him for a number of years while I was a bike instructor.

His road craft and advanced instructor skills are second to none. He lives up your way!
trig

Post by trig »

Thanks Fireman, will check him out.
trig
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I did the advanced training which was run by lancs council a few years ago. It was all very formal at first with with yellow bibs etc and we had to obey all the rules etc. it was a very chastening experience to have your riding dissected and your faults spotted and highlighted, but it's the best biking thing I have done.

Whenever I am out I always try to ride to the 'system' and even after layoffs I soon drop back into it. It has also made my car driving much better and faster !!!!!

I can honestly say the training has probably saved me, and the observation and positioning training is priceless. My ambition is to train as a trainer and when I eventually retire I want to help the blood bikes.

Just do it guys, leave your ego at home, and save yourself

Brian
turbo_billy

Post by turbo_billy »

Did a two day course with the local police a few years back. First day classroom orientated, second day out on the road for observed rides etc. Speed limits were mandatory in built up areas but out on the open road the national limits were very "flexible" :wink:
And surprisingly, they can actually teach you to ride faster by going slower............(it`s all about being smooth, not hard acceleration followed by hard braking, repeat....)
Highly recommended as you may surprised how many bad habits you have fallen into. :thumbup:
TravisZack

Post by TravisZack »

Another vote for the BikeSafe courses here. I did one on my rather loud VTR and the only comment was about how great twins sound. The classroom part was useful, most of the stuff I was aware of but this changes from person to person so it made sense to me. The on road part was good, they say to ride as you normally would but that's obviously not the case, and as much as you try to block it out you do have a police rider in your mirror watching your every move. They pick up on a lot though and give great feedback at regular intervals. When he was leading we did take a few bends at 80mph which was nice, but I never tried it when I was leading, they do say to adhere to speed limits.
He spent a lot of time on the wrong side of the road, showing me it was perfectly fine to move out and have a look to see if the overtake is on. At the first stop he asked why I didnt overtake the lorry ahead, when he was on the other side of the road and could see nothing but open road ahead where we could have a bit of fun.

You'll certainly learn something and gain from it :thumbup:
geodude

Post by geodude »

Here's my thoughts on the subject. Written a few years ago.

http://ukbiker.info/?p=291

:)
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Geo

Spot on !!!!!

I could have written more less the same thing !!!!!! I guess i was a born again and have ridden most things, but it was only after the training i realised !!!!!!

Lets be clear - it can be a lifesaver !!!! Plus it makes riding much more fun and rewarding

I'll be doing some more soon

Brian
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

turbo_billy wrote: And surprisingly, they can actually teach you to ride faster by going slower............(it`s all about being smooth, not hard acceleration followed by hard braking, repeat....)
Thats quite ironic, as sometimes when i go out, and i'm not feeling it, i decide to just ride a gear taller and be smooth and really watch my lines and trail braking... It feels like i'm half asleep and being a real cruiser, everything slows down.
Yet at the next town, my mate always says that i'm riding fast today, to which i reply, "Thats quite funny, as i'm deliberately riding slow"
3 out of 5 people are not the other 2.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Bikesafe, IAM and RoSPA are all based on Roadcraft, so all coach the same skills.

Having done both IAM and RoSPA I'd always go with the latter. Can't see the point in putting in all the effort and then getting a pass for life. The biannual retests that RoSPA insist on stops bad habits forming again. I've never been assessed by anyone who isn't into their bikes and cars btw. They become traffic cops for a reason.

Bikesafe sounds like a great basis for one of the others, going off comments from mates, but it takes more than a day to learn how to ride to The System.

Whichever you do you'll be happy I'm sure.