Textile Jackets

General Biker Banter
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Textile Jackets

Post by Pete.L »

I've been thinking of trading in my old leather and replacing it with a new Textile jacket.
But what's the beef? Can they really compare to leather for protection? What are they like for living with day to day. Am I going to have to keep washing it every week to get rid of flies. At the moment I just rub my leather down with an old tea towel after being out in the rain and maybe give it a rewax twice a year.
I guess the real question is: Do they keep you warm in the winter and cool in the summer. I've been looking at a couple of Gore Tex ones so I'm assuming dry is a gimmy.
For those which all ready have them, what are your experiences what are the good features and what's just the sales blurb?

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
fabiostar

Re: Textile Jackets

Post by fabiostar »

i have an old akito that must be ten years old and its toasty warm and still keeps out the water and in summer take out the inner and its nice and cool. flies wise i just brush them of with a wee old shoe brush i have... wouldnt go back to a leather jacket.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
carmanbikes

Post by carmanbikes »

I have had a leather jacket but I do prefer a textile one, I have had a Dainese one for about 5 years and it has been good but I do think your paying for the name, I bought only 3 weeks ago a Hein Gericke jacket which seems really good quality and value but I have not used it yet :thumbup:
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Ten years from a jacket? Wow 8O
I didn't expect that sort of life expectancy. That's pretty good. I do like the idea of layers, my old jacket has removable lining and elasticted sides for when you need that extra jumper or growing room after too much winter foraging in my case :whatever
I'm relating to the prices comment. With a leather you know what you are getting, you can see the features, feel the weight, test the sitching, is it cow, buffelo kangaroo or something else? I'm not so sure with the textiles as they are all so light. How do you judge a bit of CE armor? Okay, it has a cirtificate but they all do. what's the difference between a £600 gore tex and a £159 Hypora if they both come with a 2 year warentee against leakage and defects? :crazy:
It's all a bit of a minefield if you ask me. I don't mind paying good money but how do you know your money is well spent :?

Pete.l
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

I have a Revit spectrium I think its called. Its got about 70,000ks on it and is still water proof and warm.
kev64

Post by kev64 »

I have a textile for wet days and winter, it has about 4 layers and was well
warm last winter, i still like my 15 year old leather for summer but its only
shower proof, heavy rain and your soaked through.
Glad i have the option, especially in this country !!
PS, i paid about 135 quid for my textile ,Frank thomas
:thumbup:
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Its great to see some of the Old name brands are still in the mix :thumbup:
Akito, HeinGerrick, Frank Thomas, I've had something from all them in the past, Revit is new to me but if it can last the best part of 45,000 miles it sounds like its up for the job :thumbup:
Anyone had any dealings with "Held?" Theve got a good sale on at the moment at Get Geared, I've been thinking of this one http://www.getgeared.co.uk/HELD_Imola_G ... rts_Jacket

Had to go sports, not read for the old smoking jacket and over slippers quite yet :wink:
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Held is top quality brand in Germany. This jacket looks really good, I am tempted to buy one :-)
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

I had an RST textile which I found to be great, it was comfy warm & did what it said on the tin. Wasnt quite as waterproof after it was cut off me by the paramedic...

Little tip for you...get a jacket with cuffs that will go OVER your gloves, or wear gloves that go under the cuffs...With the gloves over the the cuffs water runs down your sleeves & into the gloves... :lol:

Also try to get one that has a popper & not velcro at the neck, velcro can & does wear out & it gets a bit draughty.

Currently I've got a HG jacket bought 2nd hand to replace the RST, IIRC the RST was about £160.

The price difference you mention is generally to do with the cost of the Gortex...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

Only ever have worn textiles, would never goto leather, unless the missus becamse interested in it, but that wouldn't have CE armor so no good for the bike or I wanted to do a track day.
tattie

Post by tattie »

Hi Pete,
My mate in Bavaria tells me there is a big outlet for Held motorcycle gear near him, he says that all the locals he knows rate it very well.

Cheers

A.M.
Common sense ain't all that common!
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

Yes, but has anyone crashed in textiles?
I have heard that textiles make you tumble rather than slide, also do they melt to you if you do slide?
Personally i feel a bit undressed it textiles, probably due to the lack of weight, the jackets that is, certainly not mine...
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Furrybiker wrote:Yes, but has anyone crashed in textiles?
I have heard that textiles make you tumble rather than slide, also do they melt to you if you do slide?
Personally i feel a bit undressed it textiles, probably due to the lack of weight, the jackets that is, certainly not mine...
that's how I feel about textiles........ I wouldn't want to crash in them
AMcQ
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Furrybiker wrote:I have heard that textiles make you tumble rather than slide, also do they melt to you if you do slide?
8O 8O Damnit! I was just about to hit the Buy Button! 8O
Well?

Good question Furry one. I hadn't thought of that. :think:
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

I wouldn't fancy weather textile on a bike after lloyd accidently got his knee down in his textiles. Only touched for a second or 2 and ripped a hole in them :shock: if he had come off I'd hate to think what mess it would have made.

After my off and mallory and seeing the scuffs my leathers have I won't wear anything else. Lloyd drops a knee at 30mph? And rips a hole. I come off around 50 mph and yes my leathers have some scuffs but they'll hold up to another off

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk