Not a Moriwaki. So what's it worth?

General Biker Banter
motocorsaro3

Not a Moriwaki. So what's it worth?

Post by motocorsaro3 »

So, here's my dilemma. My latest project bike (and I've done a lot of them). I came up with the idea of making a replica of the 1999 Moriwaki VTR race bike. Well, without the Moriwaki price-tag of course.

Image]

I start with an absolutely standard 12000 mile 2000 Firestorm, that I've known all 3 previous owners of the bike (all work for an authorised Mercedes-Benz service centre). I then get busy over the last 12 months, stripping all the road gear off and fitting:

Fireblade Front Calipers with EBC GPFAX Track-only brake pads (these need spacers with the 98. 900RR forks)
CBR1000RR Radial Master Cylinder
Brembo 30cc Front Brake Reservoir
Stainless Brake Lines
1998 Fireblade Forks & Yokes, stripped & fully rebuilt with new seals, bushings and K-Tech 1.0 Springs
Ignition switch removed from top yoke
Taper Roller Headrace brearings
CNC Clip ons
CNC short Brake & Clutch Levers
17mm Clutch master cylinder
Stainless Steel clutch line
Coerce CNC Countershaft Sprocket Guard
CNC Quick Action Throttle
Renthal Grips
KOSO RX2-N Digital Instruments
Compact left handlebar switch unit
Aluminium Instrument support
Aluminium Upper fairing stay
Motoforza Race bodywork
MRA custom made screen (no parking light cut out)
Carbon Fibre/Kevlar Engine covers
Micro LED tail light
Danmoto Rearsets with Hydraulic Brake Light Switch
Custom made exhaust link pipes with titanium race cans
Aluminium exhaust hangers
Aluminium 40mm Core Race radiators
New Oil Cooler & pipes
Full silicone hose kit & stainless clips
HRC Coolant Overflow Container
5" lightweight Radiator Fan (manual switch)
FactoryPro 1.1 Carb Kit with Titanium needles
Cleared out airbox with HPower CNC Velocity Stacks & foam panel air filter
CBR1000RR stick coils & Iridium spark plugs
FactoryPro Shift Star & Detent Arm/Spring
FactoryPro Ignition Advancer
HPower lightened flywheel
Manual CCTs
New rear disc with titanium bolt
Titanium Rear Wheel Nut
CNC Keyless fuel cap
Magical Racing Tank Pad
WP Remote Reservoir Race rear shock, reconditioned & rebuilt by TW Suspension
Rear Fireblade Wheel - beadblasted, powdercoated, new bearings & seals
Front NC35 Wheel - beadblaseted, powdercoated, new bearings & seals
80 degree aluminium tyre valves
Talon/ProTek Sprockets -1 tooth front, +1 tooth rear
JT X-Ring Chain
Dunlop Sportsmart 2 Tyres (rear 180/60)
Aluminium Subframe
Lithium Polymer Race Battery
Loads of Stainless & Titanium Fasteners
The bike has had all fluids changed and oil & filter changed twice with Shell Advance Ultra

And a hell of a lot of man hours. I've still got the fairing fitting to do and then paint it. It will be on a daytime MOT
I'm putting switchable DRLs into the front fairing air scoops as a safety measure along with the LED indicators.
I've got the indicators and numberplate assemby on the RSVR 4 bolt fixing (but with Rivnuts and a 3-way AMP connector), so road to track trim in about a minute!

I'm now moving house and think I'll never use the bike and considering putting up for sale, but how much is it worth?
Opinions invited...
Last edited by motocorsaro3 on Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:06 am, edited 6 times in total.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Re: So what's it worth?

Post by Pete.L »

WOW!
She's georgous! :Stewy:
I don't know what she'll be worth but it will probably never cover you man hours or effort. You can't seriously be thinking of getting rid without having ridden her yet 8O

Pete.l
Welcome Aboard BTW :thumbup: Quite an entrance :D
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
motocorsaro3

Re: Not a Moriwaki. So what's it worth?

Post by motocorsaro3 »

Thanks for the compliment. I've done everything myself except the shock rebuild and the wheel powdercoating. I've got another swinging arm with a brace to weld-up and fit, but really can't be bothered at the moment. I've got too much on with an impending house move.

Yes, I know. I'm a strange individual. I go off on these projects and obsess over them. I get completely obsorbed in the job itself and when completed, I lose interest. I've done it SO MANY times. I've owned over 80 bikes & my Wife thinks I'm mental. I know I'll never get my money back. But all the work has been done properly and yes, the first thing I did was put manual CCTs in!
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

very nice bike you have there, value is almost impossible to judge, i'm sure it's worth a lot more in parts than as a complete bike. I love the mori look, but as you say there's no mori parts, it will only have similar performance to any storm with exhaust/stickcoil/lightened flywheel and sprocket changes. as pete said you'll never get the man hours back.
great looking bike tho, you just need the right buyer to come along.
personally i'd keep it, but I understand when a projects finished it needs to go, so you can start something else.
I think you'll do well to get above £2000, I hope you get more tho.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

50p plus a big box of jaffa cakes? :lol:

With it not being an actual moriwaki I would have to agree with pineapple. Around the 2k mark. Maybe on a good day 2.2? It is very very nice and I don't think anyone could say otherwise.

Best of luck with the sale but I'd keep hold of it after all that work and make time to use it.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
motocorsaro3

Post by motocorsaro3 »

Well the donor bike cost me £1,650. I wanted a really nice one with low mileage that hadn't been messed around with. It was never about engine performance. These don't give power up cheaply or easily - I know that. So, the only other thing you could reasonably do is a JE piston kit and flow the heads. But it makes enough power to have fun on, and that's all I was looking for.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

AS was said it isn't a mori,but it is a good looking bike and worth more than you will get for it.At the end of the day it's worth whatever somebody that wants it will pay.Hope you're lucky enough to get the right buyer.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

motocorsaro3 wrote:It was never about engine performance. These don't give power up cheaply or easily - I know that.
that is what is true Moriwaki all about, it has the power.

It is nice built, but parting out would be more worth.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

the main problem is that it's to nice to be a trackbike(wouldn't want to throw it down the track) but slightly compromised as a road bike(daytime mot and uncomfortable seat), it really narrows down possible buyers, and 95% of bikers haven't got a clue who moriwaki are, they see the logo and think it's yoshmura... :roll:
i'd like to see a picture of it with the fairing on and all finished.
stunning bike, but as these bikes get older, their value is in being unmolested and near enough standard. some choice mods make them more saleable but not really worth that much more.
good luck with the sale fella.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
motocorsaro3

Post by motocorsaro3 »

I actually bought the small projector headlight to fit to it like the Suzuka bike, so I could do that. Alas, I think I'll either keep it or break it. At £2000, I'd rather burn it!
The shock and exhausts would return me £750 alone. As always I get a bit carried away. It started out as a cheap track bike and I've now made it too nice for that.
It is just something very different, and that will appeal to someone somewhere. I've got a GSXR1000 to use, so I''ll just finish it and park it up.

I will post up pictures when finished. The one-off aluminium fabrication of the fairing & instrument brackets is a real pain!
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

omg that is nice. a credit to you sir... price wise god knows... il give you a kidney and prob the wife and il take it of your hands :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
artee

Post by artee »

Wouldn't mine an ally subframe to replace the rotting one I have.
Are they available commercially or is it a custom job?

Roger
motocorsaro3

Post by motocorsaro3 »

Subframe is a non-starter on a standard bike. It is a gen 2 Aprilia RSVR subframe cut & shut to fit. Then the undertray from the same bike with all the electrics relocated. The exhaust hangers wouldn't line up and there's a fair amount to do to get the race seat unit to sit right. It took ages to get it just right. You even need a one off battery earth lead.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Looks a very nice bike that does ,
Be nice to see it finished
artee

Post by artee »

motocorsaro3 wrote:Subframe is a non-starter on a standard bike. It is a gen 2 Aprilia RSVR subframe cut & shut to fit. Then the undertray from the same bike with all the electrics relocated. The exhaust hangers wouldn't line up and there's a fair amount to do to get the race seat unit to sit right. It took ages to get it just right. You even need a one off battery earth lead.
Worth asking the question though.
Nice bike. :thumbup: