Wear on the edge of the tyre

General Biker Banter
KermitLeFrog

Wear on the edge of the tyre

Post by KermitLeFrog »

I've noticed, on the two bikes I've used since becoming "born again" that the rear tyre shows wear to the edge of the tread but the front has a much larger unused strip at the edge. The VTR is much more noticable but even the Yam has a larger strip on the front.

I don't trail brake into corners very hard and I like to go though and come out under power; and I'm a fat b'stard. Perhaps it's just a function of the rear tyre deforming more than the front. Both bikes have matched sets on stock pressures.

Any ideas?
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
lloydie

Re: Wear on the edge of the tyre

Post by lloydie »

Add more preload to the rear as its sagging under your weight .
Or your not counter steering .
My chicken strips are even on both tyres 0 :-)
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

Don't worry too much about it, I'm no tyre expert but it seems most of the latest generation of tyres have changed to a very curved/rounded front tyre profile, I think it's just the way the manufactures are going these days, it seems to have happened over the last 18 months or so, I've noticed it on mine, I have a set of Dunlop Sportsmart on my SP and a set of Dunlop Sportsmart 2s on my FireStorm, the front tyre on the FireStorm has a far more rounded profile than the one on the SP,they were bought about 18 months apart so I can only assume that's where they changed the front tyre profile :confused
I used to have a older design Dunlop Qualifier on my Firestorm and they just had the same wear back and front, I still have a set of Dunlop Qulaifiers on my FireBlade and they have also got the same wear back and front so I can only put it down to the changes they've made, oh and I counter steer a lot, and I do like to lean my bikes over, in fact I don't really go that fast in the straights, I'd rather play in the bends.
Last edited by cheekykev on Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
budd

Post by budd »

lloydie wrote:Add more preload to the rear as its sagging under your weight .
everybody counter steers whether they realise is or not, I agree with Kev not worry about it.
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

budd wrote:
lloydie wrote:Add more preload to the rear as its sagging under your weight .
everybody counter steers whether they realise is or not, I agree with Kev not worry about it.
That is true , but some people and myself in the past has held onto the bars to tight in a bend and not allowing the bike to find its natural balance , this I've found has stopped me from leaning more so not using more of the tyre .
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

I'm not losing sleep over it but.... if the tyres are designed to do that then it seems a less than optimum way to design a set of tyres. If they are NOT designed to do that then it's worth investigating what's causing it.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

Dont worry about it. Mine is like that as well.
popkat

Post by popkat »

Manufacturers have different profiles to their tyres some curl more than others, Michelin's don't curl much, great for pub bragging but your on the edge of the tyre sooner, not so good for track riding and will make the bike steer slower, Lloyd has michelins ;) i don't get to the edge of my front which is a metzeler M7, if i was on track i could get closer but maybe not all the way as ground clearance would limit.
Either way it's not something to worry about and there's nothing wrong.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Watty

Post by Watty »

Don't worry about chicken strip craic! Ride your own ride and enjoy it! That's all its about for me :D
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

popkat wrote:Manufacturers have different profiles to their tyres some curl more than others, Michelin's don't curl much, great for pub bragging but your on the edge of the tyre sooner, not so good for track riding and will make the bike steer slower, Lloyd has michelins ;) i don't get to the edge of my front which is a metzeler M7, if i was on track i could get closer but maybe not all the way as ground clearance would limit.

I'm a riding God , just look at my tyres lol .
The m7 do curl a lot tho ck got to the edge of his (before he came off the first time )
Watty

Post by Watty »

lloydie wrote:
popkat wrote:Manufacturers have different profiles to their tyres some curl more than others, Michelin's don't curl much, great for pub bragging but your on the edge of the tyre sooner, not so good for track riding and will make the bike steer slower, Lloyd has michelins ;) i don't get to the edge of my front which is a metzeler M7, if i was on track i could get closer but maybe not all the way as ground clearance would limit.

The m7 do curl a lot tho ck got to the edge of his (before he came off the first time )
Just remember Lloydie there are a lot of riding gods in biker heaven :(
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
countrymick

Post by countrymick »

amen to that one watty.and dont worry about the front kermit" its definitly not slowing you down :thumbup:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Watty wrote:
lloydie wrote:

Just remember Lloydie there are a lot of riding gods in biker heaven :(
As long as there's room for one more I'll be happy :-)
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Thread hijack.....

I nearly had to say "sorry mate, I didn't see you" today. Heading N on the B6357 I stopped at the give way sign, waiting to turn right onto the A6088 to Chesters. It was a lovely sunny day but the road to the right was shrouded in trees and in shade. Just as I pulled out I saw three sports bikes hammering down on me. Instead of trying to make the turn I just squirted across the road into a gravel drive and the leading bike just missed my rear wheel. I hadn't seen them! OK, they were "making progress" but I DIDN'T SEE THEM! Until the last second.

Gulp....
Watty

Post by Watty »

Erm Lloydie we've lost and nearly lost too many "brothers" thank you :(
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!