What would you choose

General Biker Banter
Stu9

What would you choose

Post by Stu9 »

Looking for a decent car and kind of narrowed it to these 2..I know there's a difference of £1500 and the bm IS the better car, but the Astra will be cheaper (a bit) to run and for parts ect.

Drove both are in stunning condition

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... &logcode=p

http://www2.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... &logcode=p
Ckennedy

Re: What would you choose

Post by Ckennedy »

I'd go for the astra. There pretty reliable and it has far less miles than the BMW. Yes good diesel motors go on forever these days but I've heard about lot of gearbox problems with BMW's. Yeah the BMW is a bit more fancy and posh but who cares if your spending lots on it to keep it going. Generally speaking the astra is a good reliable work horse
Strathern

Post by Strathern »

BMW any day.

We have loads of Vauxhall Astras and Ford Focuses at work and nobody takes the Astras. They look great. Even the new ones but they quickly show their flaws. Trim falling off, engine malfunctions etc. the focus is no angel either but way better.

We also have a few BMW's, 3 and 5 series as well as Audi a6's and the BMW always works best and is most reliable. Every Audi has had to have the gearbox changed. Never had any faults with the BMW's.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

One of our directors has had the 2007 version of that BM and had nothing but trouble with it.
Water in the electrics, suspension control dropping the rear left side repeatedly, loom breaking to the powered antenna and then to top it off it snapped the timing chain.

He has spent a fortune 8O . I kept telling him to get rid but he keeps saying "what's left to go wrong"... and then it does :lol:

If the Astra is a bust, at least you can take it anywhere and it's relatively cheap in comparison

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Z28DUNC

Post by Z28DUNC »

Go for the Astra, BM's eat turbos and the mileage isn't exactly on the low side on that one.

As other people have said not cheap and they certainly aren't built the way they used to be imo.

What about something like this instead http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... &logcode=p
Stu9

Post by Stu9 »

So it's pulling towards the Astra

I'd been looking at Honda's but so far nothing local (south Glasgow)
Saintsman27

Post by Saintsman27 »

Jury has been out now gives its verdict after much deliberation its a
Majority decision not a unanimous verdict ..... We find for Astra ....BMW seriously
Pricey on parts and labour .... You will get on highway much quicker if problems etc :|
chric

Post by chric »

astra id want it cheaper though still a 8 year old car go in at 2800
Ill never be a sell out storm forever
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

My opinion is probably not worth anything, but I don't look at bonnet badges when buying anything. Yes, the BMW has the kerb appeal and the "wow" factor with the badge, and the Astra has the connection to a sales rep / old farts car.

They are both Estate cars, so street cred isn't going to be all that high in either (although perhaps slightly higher with the BMW badge tho).

Both cars are almost on par with each other too in the "whistles and bells" department. They both have decent kit installed and lots of good features. The Astra isn't as "executive" looking on the interior tho, but I could live with that.

Saving about £1500 and buying the Astra isn't going to win you new friends who may not all want to all pile in it. But, yer buying the car for YOU, not anyone else.

Practicality, reliability, ease of spares, and reduced workshop bills (with parts sourcing and fitting) AND saving a £1,500, gets me buying the Astra.

The Astra will have cheaper insurance. Which you can buy with saving the extra money that would have gone on the BMW, plus fill the tank, plus tax it and STILL have a few quid in yer pocket.

Or....blow the budget on the BMW, and have no pennies left for road tax or a tankful of go-go juice. (Which the BMW will quickly drink - it's a thirsty car)

Ok, the forecourt resale value with the Astra will be lower than what you'd get back for the Beemer, but you're saving over a grand with the buying price with the Astra, so it will work out the same and you'll not lose out.

Both cars will perform well on the fast lane of the motorway, but the Astra again will return better fuel range (saving more money on petrol and tyre wear).

The only thing wrong with this Astra is the colour. Beige. Yer a bit too young for that colour, but it will sell well later down the line to "older folk" as a great supermarket runabout.

But - at the end of the day - the decision is yours. I'd hate you to follow the majority of folk saying "Astra" on here, then buy it and not be happy with it, thinking "should've gone for the Beemer". So, hence why my opinion on both cars is to be taken with a pinch of salt and just a personal preference.

Best of luck on whichever car you buy!
Last edited by TheGingerBeardMan on Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

German all the way. We have 5 Audi,s and 3 VW,s in the family. Great build quality.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
tattie

Post by tattie »

Just think about driving in the winter that is just around the corner.

The Astra over the Beemer every time unless you want to be carrying a pallet of concrete blocks in the back to get some traction.

Cheers

A.M.
Common sense ain't all that common!
Stu9

Post by Stu9 »

I know, I thought about that too....either or reverse up hills when you can :mrgreen:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

bigtwinthing wrote:German all the way. We have 5 Audi,s and 3 VW,s in the family. Great build quality.
Any Diesels in there BTT ? :fart1:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Stu9

Post by Stu9 »

They both are it's all I'm looking at I know I don't do the miles to justify having one but it's what I prefer ie low torque ect, I just find them easier to drive. I picked up a cheap 2.0 petrol thinking I could go back to it but I've stalled it 5 times in 3 days :oops: ....I'll stick to diesel
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Personally, I'd go to an auction.

You will not believe the prices cars go for. If I need a car I usually go to Wilsons car auctions in Queens ferry.

They have a few auction sites around & I noticed they have one in Dalry (close to you?), but it's only held once a month.

Hang back & go for a look, you'll freak out when you see how much the hammer drops on the cars. :lol:

Top tip btw, don't take your auto trader, you'll look a total noob. Use it when you get home to light a nice coal fire to celebrate your new motor. :thumbup:

http://www.wilsonsauctions.com/cars-location/685

The majority of vehicles are ex fleet, not problematic private sales.

Use your common sense & if not comfortable, take a hands on car orientated mate with you.

Good luck :thumbup: