Car insurance - HOLY MOLY!

General Biker Banter
Jamoi

Car insurance - HOLY MOLY!

Post by Jamoi »

Sorry for bringing up what can only be described as the worlds most boring subject, known to mankind...

My first car (10 years ago) cost me £500 fully comp for a year.

10 years later, +10 years no claims bonus, living in the same area, almost the same car... my insurance quotes are £700 upwards.

What the duce?? Why is it getting more expensive even though I have never claimed and I'm 10 years older??

What benefits are there with getting older if my bloody car insurance goes up all the time...

I've been using the online comparison sites and calling various brokers to barter with them, no improvement on £700.

I'm depressed now :(
Jamie :wave:
Jamoi

Re: Car insurance - HOLY MOLY!

Post by Jamoi »

Also, fully comp ins in NZ cost me around £70...
Jamie :wave:
Virt

Post by Virt »

Because insurance is mandatory, they can charge whatever they want and we still have to pay them whether we like it or not
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

£500 in 2006 is approx equivalent to £675 today, so you're not being rewarded for your NCB & age, plus they are skimming more of the top from you.

http://inflation.stephenmorley.org

Nov 15 > Motorists face steep hikes to car cover next year as insurers look to boost profits > http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars ... -2016.html
In October (2015), Confused.com said motorists are already paying on average £47 more than they did last year for car cover.

It said the average comprehensive car insurance premium rose by £29 to £629 in the three months to the end of September - a 4.8 per cent increase on the previous quarter which marked the biggest rise since the end of 2010.

Elderly drivers and those living in the West of England saw the biggest increases, according to the analysis provided by the comparison website.
Elsewhere, a hike in the rate of Insurance Premium Tax - the tax paid each time an insurance policy is purchased in the UK - increased from 6 per cent to 9.5 per cent at the start of the month, as announced in the summer Budget.

The ABI previously warned that the change is likely to add at £13 to the average comprehensive motor insurance policy, adding a further cost to cover.

The IPT increase is expected to bring in an additional £8.1billion for the Treasury by 2021.
Maybe little ol' Alresford behind its peaceful facade is a den of vehicular iniquity... Goodness knows what you'd need to pay if you lived in 'White City' Colchester!
Last edited by Wicky on Wed May 11, 2016 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

The fact is there are still so many twats out there crashing with no insurance. Unfortunately this is built into premiums so drivers can be covered somewhat if they hit an uninsured driver.
The previous comment about then charging what they want is about right. It's like a cartel!
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

It is also what vehicle you drive and how many accidents other people in that same vehicle make and model have had. For example the Mrs got a quote on her Citroen C3 1.4 55 plate (winter car) and that worked out £25 pound more expensive than a quote for her Vauxhall Tigra 1.8 twin top on an 09 plate (summer car). The price difference between the 2 cars to replace is around £3000 the Vauxhall being the more expensive. When she enquired why the Tigra was cheaper she was told the above. I bet if you went for something less popular and not so out there it would be cheaper.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
Gazfirestormowner

Post by Gazfirestormowner »

Christ what are u insuring
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Fully comp on my Jaguar X Type cost £310:00 through Be Wiser Insurance and i only have 4 years ncb. But i am 70 this year,so getting older does have advantages.The only downside is that i am limited to 5,000 miles per year,but i also have the Storm for local journeys so it's not really a problem.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

StormyRob wrote:The fact is there are still so many twats out there crashing with no insurance. Unfortunately this is built into premiums so drivers can be covered somewhat if they hit an uninsured driver.
The previous comment about then charging what they want is about right. It's like a cartel!
Not all policies have the not insured cover. Some companies will let you claim but it does go down as a fault accident and affect your NCB and your premium.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

VTR Phoenix wrote:
StormyRob wrote:The fact is there are still so many twats out there crashing with no insurance. Unfortunately this is built into premiums so drivers can be covered somewhat if they hit an uninsured driver.
Not all policies have the not insured cover. Some companies will let you claim but it does go down as a fault accident and affect your NCB and your premium.

To be fair the average premium only increases by about 30 quid die to this anyway.
We have a strange insurance culture here.
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
carmanbikes

Post by carmanbikes »

The most expensive one I have come across was a 18 yr old lad who bought a Nissan Micra 1.0 for £2000 and he lived in Liverpool and just passed his test and the best quote he got was £12,200 :sad2 He give back word on buying the car
Virt

Post by Virt »

carmanbikes wrote:The most expensive one I have come across was a 18 yr old lad who bought a Nissan Micra 1.0 for £2000 and he lived in Liverpool and just passed his test and the best quote he got was £12,200 :sad2 He give back word on buying the car
I do love the way young males are treated, I understand we're a higher risk category but they don't even try to identify if you're going to be any different as it cuts into their profits..

Was looking at getting a car about a year ago and I was getting 3k + quotes for crappy 1.0 cars too..

I owned my Firestorm at the time, if I was really going to go out and be a boy racer it wouldn't be in a 10 year old fiesta :lol: But of course, they don't care because they don't want to know.
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

alanfjones1411 wrote:Fully comp on my Jaguar X Type cost £310:00 through Be Wiser Insurance and i only have 4 years ncb. But i am 70 this year,so getting older does have advantages.The only downside is that i am limited to 5,000 miles per year,but i also have the Storm for local journeys so it's not really a problem.
Don't get too old. My Mother had insured with Saga for years. Never had a claim. Once she reached a certain age (can't remember what, 75?) they refused to insure her. Saga!

Anyway, I insured the car and put her down as a named driver. Sorted.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Saintsman27

Post by Saintsman27 »

Hey M8tey.....you must live in a heavily loaded Insurance area in Essex ... see what the press reports
and the Police in Essex think about the loony tune non compliant traffic Richard-heads in your neck of the
woods makes intresting reading ...

http://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/1446 ... tatistics/

Some of them need taking out..... a Zorro masked avenger type or something ....to save cash you could reallocate to a quiet
little backwater somewhere though.... he he :thumbup:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

As I found out over the last week the prices fluctuate massively over a few days .
I was getting quotes from £900-1600 Saturday Sunday .
On Monday they were about £850 on Tuesday morning it dropped to £560 !
Using all the same comparison web sites .
Unless your in a rush to get riped off it pays to watch the market .
Today they are back up to 1k !!