Do Honda's have the worst fuel efficiency?

General Biker Banter
StormingHonda

Do Honda's have the worst fuel efficiency?

Post by StormingHonda »

I have owned a fair few bikes over my years of riding, and I have to admit as much as Honda is one of my favourite brands I have never been happy with the fuel consumption of a Honda.

I have owned fuel injected bikes and carb bikes, but its always been Honda's that have left me unimpressed, regardless of whether its a tank to small or the bike just drinks.

One of my friends who used to ride, always had other brands, and used to brag about fuel economy, his R6 would happily do 140 miles between petrol stations.

My Harley Davidson has a tiny tank but can still manage 110 between garage visits, however my fireblade blinked up its yellow joy killing light at 105 miles and my Honda X-11 with its monster sized tank goes yellow at around 110 miles. I used to get angry at having to visit the petrol station on the Firestorms I would be lucky to get 75-80 miles till next fuel.

It also seems to be that naked Honda's are probably some of the worst for petrol fill.
bigtwinthing

Re: Do Honda's have the worst fuel efficiency?

Post by bigtwinthing »

RD500 Yams were shite i reckon 23 mpg from mine when i had it. it was still fecking lovely
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Watty

Post by Watty »

Does it matter? :? If you want economy get a C50 8O
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

So many factors come into play here. Age of bike wear and tear. Fuel injected or carbed. V Twins all drink compared to IL4's. The Harley will be OK because it don't go fast, It's a cruiser/ :biggrin Start modding them and removing emissions restrictions and they will drink more. I find different brand fuels make a slight difference too for some reason. Then it's down to how one rides and hot throttle happy you are. It's amazing how much fuel one can save just by riding by the book and not giving little blips of throttle at light etc. Climate is another one that will alter things.
==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

StormingHonda wrote:I have owned a fair few bikes over my years of riding, and I have to admit as much as Honda is one of my favourite brands I have never been happy with the fuel consumption of a Honda.

I have owned fuel injected bikes and carb bikes, but its always been Honda's that have left me unimpressed, regardless of whether its a tank to small or the bike just drinks.
Out of interest if Honda's have always left you unimpressed which bike(s) have left you impressed with fuel consumption :?:

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I think you have overlooked the Honda C50 in this generalisation :lol:
AMcQ
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

I think the firestorm is good on economy, also it doesn't seem to drink that much more fuel if you have it going full bore compared to leisurely ride round the lanes, still can get 120 miles riding on motorways before the light comes on(but mine is completely stock) That's about 39mpg

The CBF gets around 46mpg, roughly 10 miles per litre

and the FZ6 got a mahussive 58mpg on a motorway run last year.
The End

Post by The End »

I remember reading about the VTR1000's fuel economy (or lack there of :lol: ) when doing my research

Here's what I've had since March 2016. Interesting the fuel consumption worsens after I got it serviced in May...hadn't put two and two together...

bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

I struggle with talking about the storms fuel efficiency, I have never bothered about it, I do around 3000 miles a year on it so that equates to £500 a year in fuel @ 30mpg.

I have more fun on the bike and spend far too much on her through the year, if I thought about the cost I would give up. I have never bought a bike on the fuel efficiency, looks, comfort and bragging bike figures(490 hp with 12,000 Ib/ft talks) :)
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

sirch345 wrote:
StormingHonda wrote:I have owned a fair few bikes over my years of riding, and I have to admit as much as Honda is one of my favourite brands I have never been happy with the fuel consumption of a Honda.

Out of interest if Honda's have always left you unimpressed which bike(s) have left you impressed with fuel consumption :?:

Chris.
all my Harleys haven't been bad, most of the Yamaha's I have owned haven't been bad, and comparing bikes with my mate, his Z1000 which he ragged the crap out of had much better fuel economy than my Hornet 900.

To be honest most of the none Honda's I have owned have been better to a lot better than the Honda's I have owned, the two best Honda bikes I have owned which weren't bad for fuel consumption was the 600 Hornet ( small tank ) and the CBR600.

The worst bike I have ever come across which had god awful fuel drinking was my mates Aprillia Touno.
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

Watty wrote:Does it matter? :? If you want economy get a C50 8O
Yes it does when it has always seemed to me that Honda's have the worst compared to there competitors.
Watty

Post by Watty »

StormingHonda wrote:
Watty wrote:Does it matter? :? If you want economy get a C50 8O
Yes it does when it has always seemed to me that Honda's have the worst compared to there competitors.
Then buy the competitor!! :?
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

I've managed as much a 48mpg on my old storm and also as little as 30.
A lot depends on how you ride em.
In Scotland this year Ali and me were filling up at the same time doing the same miles and there was nearly always only a single pound difference between my new inline four and ( i'm guessing now) his ten years older Vtwin....I don't think that's too bad.
Personally I think new bikes should be even more economic. I don't think they have come on as far as they should have in the last ten years.
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

But they also go for longer than most :clap: .

i used to have a LC350 with a stevens tune. 34mm carbs,tz pipes and it never seen more than mid teens :beer: :beer:

my storm seems easiest on fuel while im covering miles sitting around 70/90 so im not speeding, im saving fuel officer lol
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Personally I think new bikes should be even more economic. I don't think they have come on as far as they should have in the last ten years.
Someone has to keep the petroleum business going otherwise we would all have eco friendly vehicles that electro magnetism.
==============================Enter the Darkside