Air Rifle Shooters?

General Biker Banter
Mav617

Air Rifle Shooters?

Post by Mav617 »

Any one here own/shoot air rifles? I'm getting quite into them for plinking in the back garden (not a hunter) Currently have a Stoeger A30 but looking to get a Walther Lever Action if I get some pennies at Xmas.
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
VTRDark

Re: Air Rifle Shooters?

Post by VTRDark »

I had a Webley Tempest when I was 14. I always wanted a Weihrauch hw45 when they came out. Unfortunately there's not much call for firing air guns in London. I'd rather go paint balling to be honest. At least there's a moving target then, but none of these have the same kind of buzz as firing a live weapon with bullets. They just don't have that kick and there's no bang. The bang is the buzz so blank firers would be more fun or maybe go throwing a few Blue rookies around. I shall be doing that on Guy Fawkes.
==============================Enter the Darkside
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

I had a buddy that was huge into shooting sports. He got big into air rifles. Some of his were powered by highly compress air from scuba tanks. They were as deadly as any conventional firearm.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Yep Air Arms s410 Carbine, 10 shot rotary mag, bolt action.

If you ask nicley I might show you later...

http://www.air-arms.co.uk/products/sporter/s410
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

i have a couple of precharged pneumatic air rifles. Very accurate and very quiet

1 air arms S200 with 10 shot magazin
1 Hatsan AT44 also 10 shot mag
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

I got my son a Gamo Camo Rocket .177. Pretty decent rifle break barrel and very accurate.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

With these pre charge air guns, can you vary the power over and above legal limits?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Miztaziggy wrote:With these pre charge air guns, can you vary the power over and above legal limits?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Probably...but of course it wouldn't be leagl then would it...

Various ansewrs can be found if you look...This is for the s410.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=s410+ ... uya-4CQ#q=
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

If I remember rightly when doing research before buying one for my son anything over 12ftlb of power you need a firearms license for. The Gamo states 11+ftlb of power so right up there.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

VTR Phoenix wrote:If I remember rightly when doing research before buying one for my son anything over 12ftlb of power you need a firearms license for. The Gamo states 11+ftlb of power so right up there.
Correct over 12ftlb's requires a FAC & all the shite that goes with it, police check, gun cab needed ect ect.
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Did some research on the stoeger and that's up there as well, couldn't find the ftlb info but at 1200fps its enough for the back garden.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Yep Air Arms s410 Carbine, 10 shot rotary mag, bolt action.
AKA The Squirrel Hunter for men that wear the tail. :lol: Are pest controllers allowed a bit more punch than 12ib ft :wink: or is it simply a case that one is licensed to use them.
==============================Enter the Darkside
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

VTR Phoenix wrote:Did some research on the stoeger and that's up there as well, couldn't find the ftlb info but at 1200fps its enough for the back garden.
Take a look here:

http://www.airgundepot.com/faster-isnt-better.html

The fps reading isn't what you want to know about. It's more complicated than that.

I have an old BSA break-barrel that (many years ago) I used to shoot rabbits and wood pigeons with. I don't bother the birds and bunnies any more but am well into target stuff. Big bangs at 600 yards...
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

KermitLeFrog wrote:
VTR Phoenix wrote:Did some research on the stoeger and that's up there as well, couldn't find the ftlb info but at 1200fps its enough for the back garden.
Take a look here:

http://www.airgundepot.com/faster-isnt-better.html

The fps reading isn't what you want to know about. It's more complicated than that.

I have an old BSA break-barrel that (many years ago) I used to shoot rabbits and wood pigeons with. I don't bother the birds and bunnies any more but am well into target stuff. Big bangs at 600 yards...
I know you don't go by the fps more the ftlb regards power I was just comparing it to the one I had in terms of fps which the gamo with the right pellet will get upto 1400ish fps
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

VTR Phoenix wrote: I know you don't go by the fps more the ftlb regards power I was just comparing it to the one I had in terms of fps which the gamo with the right pellet will get upto 1400ish fps
Fair enough but without the weight of the projectile being given the fps reading is meaningless.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)