Learning to weld

General Biker Banter
freeridenick

Learning to weld

Post by freeridenick » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:22 pm

Just got home from my first trip back to school in 24 years. I'd never have thought running beads along plate would be so satisfying.

Alex.

Re: Learning to weld

Post by Alex. » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:28 am

I did a welding course a few years back at the local college, great fun learning how to stick bits of metal together without glue!
Started off with stick, then MIG and finally a bit of TIG. Might have to look them up and see what courses they are running this year!

Alex.
Last edited by Alex. on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

freeridenick

Post by freeridenick » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:14 pm

I'm doing MIG and will end up as an NVQ qualified welder. With any luck I'll get a chance to try TIG too but the qualification will be MIG.

I don't care about the certificate but the chance to opportunity to pick up on something I should have learnt at school is great.

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:04 am

Nice one Nick and kudos to you going back to college to learn a new skill. I bet it feels a bit odd going to college. What's the age group of fellow classmates. Are you the oldest there or it purly adult education.
==============================Enter the Darkside

Alex.

Post by Alex. » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:46 am

The local college where I did my welding course has a full workshop including lathes and mills. I would love to do an evening class in learning how to use these bits of kit, but they don't appear to run any!

Alex.

freeridenick

Post by freeridenick » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:23 pm

VTRDark wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:04 am
Nice one Nick and kudos to you going back to college to learn a new skill. I bet it feels a bit odd going to college. What's the age group of fellow classmates. Are you the oldest there or it purly adult education.
:lol: :lol:
It's an evening course for adults so I'm not in a class with kids. It's mostly welders who are learning new skills or gaining the qualifications they need for work reasons. I'm in the upper age range with the rest of the group who are hobby welders.

I could have tried to teach myself from youTube but this cuts out a massive part of the learning curve.
Alex. wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:46 am
The local college where I did my welding course has a full workshop including lathes and mills. I would love to do an evening class in learning how to use these bits of kit, but they don't appear to run any!

Alex.
Same for me. Guillotines and all the rest.

College is in Tameside and is a relatively deprived areas. One of the advantages though is that it has loads of funding for training so are able to offer these courses. I couldn't find anything else near by. All the other adult ed courses were in computing (read using the internet), languages or crafts.

Tameside College also offer engineering, CAD and mechanic course. I could find myself becoming a serial 'student'.