Moving on - route suggestions

General Biker Banter
BigVeeGrin

Moving on - route suggestions

Post by BigVeeGrin »

Been absent a while my old friends (I think :wink: ) and ones to be ( :) ) So, i'm moving to Glasgow for sure now, barring a catastrophe, and will be riding the Storm up from Bedford. I could take the easy option - A1, A66 etc, but thought I'd make more of a day of it and use roads I have no idea about at the moment but will make the journey so much more fun.

Open to suggestions - how to get to Glasgow from Bedford on some decent roads ....... fire away :thumbup:
KermitLeFrog

Re: Moving on - route suggestions

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Barnard Castle, Middleton in Teesdale, Alston, Melmerby, Penrith. Would be part of it for me.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

Penrith to Dumfries, coast road, then take any road north from there.
Where abouts in Glasgow are you moving to? Some awesome roads just 1/2 hr away from the centre..

Or the 68 if you don't speed, cut over to Lanark.
Or take the old A74 then down the pass before you reach Abington.
Or the Moffit road
Or just follow the east coast. Go look at Alistairs route for Scottish meet last year.
You could be in transit for days....
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

grumpyfrog wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:07 am Penrith to Dumfries, coast road, then take any road north from there.
Where abouts in Glasgow are you moving to? Some awesome roads just 1/2 hr away from the centre..

Or the 68 if you don't speed, cut over to Lanark.
Or take the old A74 then down the pass before you reach Abington.
Or the Moffit road
Or just follow the east coast. Go look at Alistairs route for Scottish meet last year.
:lol: :thumbup:

Enjoy your road trip BVG :thumbup:

Chris.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

This should be of some use. Bike Magazine created a figure of eight loop around the country years ago, which you could hack up as required. Maybe Bedford, north east around Lincoln then north west to Hawes. On from there you can reverse their route to Scotland as it passes straight through Glasgow.

Not much info from me I know but one of those good old metal pannier fetishists has mapped the route. http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread ... 1600-miles
Watty

Post by Watty »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:39 am Barnard Castle, Middleton in Teesdale, Alston, Melmerby, Penrith. Would be part of it for me.
:thumbup: Barnard Castle, right by me! Call for a brew and a breather :D
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:39 am Barnard Castle, Middleton in Teesdale, Alston, Melmerby, Penrith. Would be part of it for me.
grumpyfrog wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:07 am Penrith to Dumfries, coast road, then take any road north from there.

the temptation :D Going to be pretty much bang in the centre, best of all garage space for the Storm, a rare thing in Glasgow - avoided one almighty domestic that
freeridenick wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:23 pm Maybe Bedford, north east around Lincoln then north west to Hawes.
Watty wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:35 pm
:thumbup: Barnard Castle, right by me! Call for a brew and a breather :D
:thumbup: Good man Watty - I'll take you up on that

:thumbup: :thumbup: Good stuff guys, appreciate it - gives me something to work on
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

You could always go the long way around :biggrin

==============================Enter the Darkside
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

as someone already commented, there was a route published by BIKE or RIDE magazine about 7yrs ago that could take you all they way north without using any motorways, but beware it is a LONG day on the bike and uses a lot more time & mental energy than the M-Way.

I tried it 3 times. First one on the way back from the TT, but we abandoned as the weather was so grim some of the roads up on the high on the moors were more like rivers and the cloud was so low we couldn't see, and it was one of those times when there was no fun anymore and you just need to get home and get dried out.
the other 2 times, the weather was in my favour and some of the roads were epic, but equally you also had to go through lots of towns and villages as you zig zag through the more populated central belt round Manchester.

I think I could still find the route, but I did it before I had a GPS and all I can say is that there are so many junctions on the route it was up to 3 pages of instruction on the top of my tank bag, and I still took a few wrong turns.

Went up to Ashborne, Buxton, Glossop, Holm Moss, Hebdon Bridge, then over moor moors and up to Kirby Lonsdale.

so it had some good roads and some not so good bits. also once you get to Settle, you can go up via Hawes to penrith going over Buttertubs pass and then Hartside moor, and from Penrith you can either go up the Beeftub from Moffat, or go west for a bit and then north on the Dalveen pass and up to Glasgow that way.

Both the road from Settle up to Penrith and the beeftub and dalveen pass routes are on the SW Scotland thread, as I use them over the 3 days riding ... but they are all epic
AMcQ
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

and here is the northern section from BIKE mag. but they have missed some good bits :)
https://www.wikiloc.com/outdoor-trails/ ... es-2336495
AMcQ
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

and the southern section. I used the western route to get through the central belt and added my own top & Bottom sections.

you might also consider the easterly option

bike fig 8 route
AMcQ
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

Friday's the day :) Went for minimal buggering around - fit all roads/turns onto a post-it note :wink: :?

Decided on easy to start - A6 from Bedford to Chapel-en-le-Frith, then off to Glossop, Holme, Sowerby Bridge, A629 to Skipton, Grassington, Aysgarth, Bowes, Barnard Castle, Alston, Brampton, Langholm, Eskdalemuir, Peebles, then cruise along to Glasgow. If I'm not zonked out by then :Bike:

I'll take some Storm on location shots along the way........
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

BigVeeGrin wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:18 am Friday's the day :) Went for minimal buggering around - fit all roads/turns onto a post-it note :wink: :?

Decided on easy to start - A6 from Bedford to Chapel-en-le-Frith, then off to Glossop, Holme, Sowerby Bridge, A629 to Skipton, Grassington, Aysgarth, Bowes, Barnard Castle, Alston, Brampton, Langholm, Eskdalemuir, Peebles, then cruise along to Glasgow. If I'm not zonked out by then :Bike:

I'll take some Storm on location shots along the way........
Good luck with everything BGV, keep us all posted.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Good luck with the journey mate
:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Nice to hear somone still writes directions down on a post-it note. Fingers crossed the weather is better by then. It's like Winter out there at the moment.
==============================Enter the Darkside