Brrrrrr broken down and frozen

General Biker Banter
fatfreddy000

Brrrrrr broken down and frozen

Post by fatfreddy000 »

After 2 days doing extensive work on the storm (see yesterday's 'what have you done to your bike today' I got her out for a weekend trip..
She's feeling great with the improvements.
These are great bikes, so much bloody character!
Just got off the m4 doing hi speeds and ontothe a4 and hhorrible clunking starts. Heart sinks as I consider broken gearbox or output shaft bearing.
Rapidly decelerate then whizz clunk goes the chain.
Stuck round front sprocket but no visible damage and no oil on road and new hugger all oK.. Phew that was lucky.
Knew it needed changing but can't do it all at once.
Note to me and all: don't risk knackered old chains on hi power machines.
Managed to push her a half mile to Theale and a warm pub where iI await recovery.
Good excuse for a few ales..
“If all insects on Earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish.” Biologist Jonas Salk
fabiostar

Re: Brrrrrr broken down and frozen

Post by fabiostar »

oh dear never good news when clunks rear there ugly head
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Quick go buy a lotto ticket your luck must be in...It didn't happen at speed & no damage...I'd say a big Phew !
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

You've not had the best of luck with that bike Freddy. :thumbdown:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
podman

Post by podman »

Could have been much worse mate...no matter what the power of the bike, a dodgy chain can have you off..and as I found to my own cost a few years ago, smash engine casings.

Still, a trip out that ends at a pub cant be all bad.. :biggrin
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I had one break a few years back on a Storm, it just fell off and laid down neatly in the road to the sound track of the engine banging off the rev limiter.

Sometimes they trash everything, sometimes they give up quietly. Good for you that is was the latter.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

Thankss for the relies guys.? Turns out I oy had recovery for upto 20 miles from breakdown location. Luckily I was only 10 from a friend's house.
Ain't had a chance to get the sprocket cover off yet and assess but the the rear sprocket is well chewed up.
Hoping to on me but can probably find a few spanners/sockets so hoping to find somewhere near Reading tomorrow to buy decent affordable chain and ssprocket kit with split link so I can limp home on Sunday and change sprockets when back.
Might have to file that back sprocket a bit and god knows what I'll find under the sprocket cover as it'sall seized up... Lucky indeed.
Last time I had a broken chain was 10 year ago on a ratty old tdm850, similar story with no damage. I bought a very sh1t cheap chain next day to get home and that snapped after a few hundred miles locking the wheel and trashing an engine casing.
We should really learn from these things though. If that had wrapped around the rear sprocket at the speed I was doing 5 mins before then.. God knows what but it wouldn't if been pretty x
“If all insects on Earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish.” Biologist Jonas Salk
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Lucky esacepe I'd say. Imagine doing three figures and having a chain let go, wrap itself up and lock off. :eek2
==============================Enter the Darkside
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

Gotta try and find chain and sprocket set near Reading today. No tools with me so hope to find a friendly shop that will install the chain gratis (mavbe sprockets too or let me use their tools) gratis if I buy the lot from them.. Will already be a lot pricier then ebay/m&p/online even without labour.
Will probably go for an x-ring e.g DID vx gold or something.
Also gonna go to 16/43 sprocket size as the 14/43 she was running is just silly and as I'm not gonna shell out for a speedo healer the mileage is shooting up too quick.
Will be a shame to only get 80 from a tank full instead of 100 though!
Does anybody know what the first 3 numbers denote on sprocket codes.
Obvs the latter 2 are teeth no.
But what does e.g 302-41 mean? It it related to pitch or retaining bolt position or is it not important.
I. E if I wanna get a chain sprocket kit do I need a 530/102 link 333/16 front 302/43 rear or would the larger rear sprocket be a different code altogether..
podman

Post by podman »

VTRDark wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:17 am Lucky esacepe I'd say. Imagine doing three figures and having a chain let go, wrap itself up and lock off. :eek2
Not a chain but I tied a jumper to my luggage rack on my then GSXR as I boarded the ferry several years ago, forgot about it in the excitement of disembarking into a sunny France and that ended up wrapping itself around the chain and rear sprocket at 100+ down the autoroute and locking the rear wheel, was a miracle that I stayed on and the traffic avoided me..

Was an adventure that trip, took around 2 hours to get the remants of jumper(which had got so hot it melted like plastic) free from the chain/sprockets using just the OE tool kit, in the process I dropped the bike, had an asthma attack, the gendarmes turned up and grunted as us to get the bike off the autoroute but didnt want to assist in moving it.

Oh, then when we did get going, some helpful trucker stole my gloves at a service station, whilst adjusting the now very slack chain, I noticed a nail in the tyre....then it pissed down for the next few hours solid.all in all, I think it took about 14 hours to get to our final destination in Normandy!
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

podman wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:59 am
VTRDark wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:17 am Lucky esacepe I'd say. Imagine doing three figures and having a chain let go, wrap itself up and lock off. :eek2
Not a chain but I tied a jumper to my luggage rack on my then GSXR as I boarded the ferry several years ago, forgot about it in the excitement of disembarking into a sunny France and that ended up wrapping itself around the chain and rear sprocket at 100+ down the autoroute and locking the rear wheel, was a miracle that I stayed on and the traffic avoided me..

Was an adventure that trip, took around 2 hours to get the remants of jumper(which had got so hot it melted like plastic) free from the chain/sprockets using just the OE tool kit, in the process I dropped the bike, had an asthma attack, the gendarmes turned up and grunted as us to get the bike off the autoroute but didnt want to assist in moving it.

Oh, then when we did get going, some helpful trucker stole my gloves at a service station, whilst adjusting the now very slack chain, I noticed a nail in the tyre....then it pissed down for the next few hours solid.all in all, I think it took about 14 hours to get to our final destination in Normandy!
Jesus!.
When it rains it pours..
And I thought I had bad luck.
These 'bad' times make for much better memories and tales to tell than good times though !
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I think you both were very lucky, it could have been a whole lot worse,

Chris.
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

No chance to get an affordable decent chain round here. Looking at about 150 for a did x ring and rear sprocket plus 60 to put them on.!
Just found a great deal (new old stock) on ebay and grabbed it a did zvm gold xring (extra heavy duty) plus 41T and 16T sprockets at £75! Bargain. Will get bike in back of van and fit it myself next week.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

fatfreddy000 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:48 pm No chance to get an affordable decent chain round here. Looking at about 150 for a did x ring and rear sprocket plus 60 to put them on.!
Just found a great deal (new old stock) on ebay and grabbed it a did zvm gold xring (extra heavy duty) plus 41T and 16T sprockets at £75! Bargain. Will get bike in back of van and fit it myself next week.
Wow that sounds like a good deal, any more left :lol:

Chris.
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

sirch345 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:28 pm
fatfreddy000 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:48 pm No chance to get an affordable decent chain round here. Looking at about 150 for a did x ring and rear sprocket plus 60 to put them on.!
Wow that sounds like a good deal, any more left :lol:

Chris.
no sorry, just checked, he only had one NOS.
came with a pair of DID 'extreme' sprockets.
bloody good deal- the chains alone are usually about £125!