Brrrrrr broken down and frozen

General Biker Banter
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Brrrrrr broken down and frozen

Post by sirch345 »

fatfreddy000 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:08 pm
sirch345 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:28 pm
fatfreddy000 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:48 pm No chance to get an affordable decent chain round here. Looking at about 150 for a did x ring and rear sprocket plus 60 to put them on.!
Just found a great deal (new old stock) on ebay and grabbed it a did zvm gold xring (extra heavy duty) plus 41T and 16T sprockets at £75! Bargain. Will get bike in back of van and fit it myself next week.
Wow that sounds like a good deal, any more left :lol:

Chris.
no sorry, just checked, he only had one NOS.
came with a pair of DID 'extreme' sprockets.
bloody good deal- the chains alone are usually about £125!
No worries, I didn't really expect there to be more, although thought worth mentioning :lol:

Yes I know what the prices can be like as I have been keeping an eye out for a chain sprocket set myself, either a ZVM-X or a VX. I'm just debating whether to buy one locally (which like you discovered will be more expensive I'm sure) so I can get the motorcycle shop to rivet it for me. It's either that or purchasing a rivet tool and doing it myself,

Chris.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Glad things worked out well as it always could have been much worse.....

Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

8541Hawk wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:13 pm Glad things worked out well as it always could have been much worse.....

Jeez, that would sort your constipation!
:wtf:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Kev L wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:28 pm
8541Hawk wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:13 pm Glad things worked out well as it always could have been much worse.....

Jeez, that would sort your constipation!
:wtf:
It scary what can happen when a drive chain break free with all that energy in it,
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

sirch345 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:15 pm
fatfreddy000 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:08 pm
sirch345 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:28 pm

Wow that sounds like a good deal, any more left :lol:

Chris.
no sorry, just checked, he only had one NOS.
came with a pair of DID 'extreme' sprockets.
bloody good deal- the chains alone are usually about £125!
No worries, I didn't really expect there to be more, although thought worth mentioning :lol:

Yes I know what the prices can be like as I have been keeping an eye out for a chain sprocket set myself, either a ZVM-X or a VX. I'm just debating whether to buy one locally (which like you discovered will be more expensive I'm sure) so I can get the motorcycle shop to rivet it for me. It's either that or purchasing a rivet tool and doing it myself,

Chris.
I will be putting her in a van later and driving back to London. Will leave her outside a friendly little bike shop in Hackney {riverbank motorcycles}.
Then on Monday or Tuesday when the parts come I'll drive down with parts and install the sprockets then wheel her in and hang the chain in position so that they can rivet her with as little effort as possible!
“If all insects on Earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish.” Biologist Jonas Salk
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

That is terrifying.
I've been very lucky over the years with 3 broken chains and no harm to myself or bike or even a locked rear wheel.
Just invested in a did x ring extreme kit, may even put in a scotoilier if I can fine one for a good price. X
“If all insects on Earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish.” Biologist Jonas Salk
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

fatfreddy000 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:50 am

That is terrifying.
I've been very lucky over the years with 3 broken chains and no harm to myself or bike or even a locked rear wheel.
Just invested in a did x ring extreme kit, may even put in a scotoilier if I can fine one for a good price. X
I snapped a chain on my first ride out with the lads in Scotland. Pete and Rob will remember it as they were behind me and it nearly took them out. I fitted a good chain (and sprockets) and on Al's advice a "Loobman" oiler. An excellent bit of kit. Inexpensive and it looks a bit Heath Robinson but it works amazingly well. I now have 10,000 miles on that chain and it's barely been adjusted and looks like new.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:27 pm
fatfreddy000 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:50 am

That is terrifying.
I snapped a chain on my first ride out with the lads in Scotland. Pete and Rob will remember it as they were behind me and it nearly took them out. I fitted a good chain (and sprockets) and on Al's advice a "Loobman" oiler. An excellent bit of kit. Inexpensive and it looks a bit Heath Robinson but it works amazingly well. I now have 10,000 miles on that chain and it's barely been adjusted and looks like new.
Loobman eh..
I will check them out.
BTW your hugger survived.. Just.
Mainly because where i made the repair and new rear mount I cut it as a keyhole shaped slot so the rubber and metal bush slot in but if there's any stress on it it won't break it just uncoupkesvand the whole hugger can then flex upwards.. Certainly saved it..
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

The chain can be rivetted off the bike - just take the footpeg hanger off the swing arm spindle to take the old chain off and new one-piece chain back on. Remember to retorque pivot nut back to spec.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts