'Kin weather

General Biker Banter
MacV2

'Kin weather

Post by MacV2 »

So flurries of snow most of yesterday alternating with bright sunshine.

Woke up theis morn to 2 to 3'' of the white slippery stuff...

Despite all the winter gear, heated gloves ect I've looked out the window & thought do I really need this ?

Gave it a go none the less.

1st slide before I even got off the driveway, by the third slide within 50' of me front door I decided my health & saftey is more important than going in to work... :lol: :lol: Carefully turned round & gently rode it back to the garage with only one more sideways moment...phew !

Came back inside after tucking Custard back up in the MacCave, got the gear off put the kettle on changed grundies... :lol:

Txt work explaining.

Called work after 8 when office is open.

May have to move one of next weeks days off but we also have tomorrow to deal with as it's forcast to be more of the same.

It's also snowing again here as I type, forcast says it's -5 or something + the windchill... :lol:

Cold I can deal with, the snow isn't a huge problem but the ice under the snow is where the problem lies.

Kent County Council seem to think the side roads in small villages dont warrent gritting, fair enough as thy have to deal with the big trunk roads first I suppose...Apparently the M20 is closed tho.

Note to self stay off E-bay as I have no room for any more Storms... :lol: :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
grumpyfrog

Re: 'Kin weather

Post by grumpyfrog »

you need to fit knobblies to one of the "not so precious" ones. preferably with spikes also.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

grumpyfrog wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:59 am you need to fit knobblies to one of the "not so precious" ones. preferably with spikes also.
The one I commute on is one of the ''Not so Precious'' ones...I can afford the odd missed day, what I can't afford is any more broken bones... :lol: :lol:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Guv at work keeps telling me to get a car.

I keep telling him that I only ride the bike to work as the fekin council decided I couldnt take the van home anymore & havent sorted anything else out that we can take home...

It's a tracker thing, the ones we use are leased not owned so dont have the trackers fitted that every other council vehical does.

They still charge us to take them home & no private use...
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

I bought a big bag of salt on Sunday to do my drive & road, and put on my chips...

Still going to work from home today

https://www.homebase.co.uk/rock-salt-20kg_p263883
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Just taken this, it's snowing again...
Murv

Post by Murv »

I decided to take the car today!
I think tomorrow is going to be even worse though, now it's all compacted down and melted slightly...
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

A car is not the solution because with snow like that you will likely slide and smash the car up. We need one of Mik's snowmobiles :biggrin Public transort is the not the answer either as that all comes to a standstill on days like this. Gritting is too slow a process so why can't all the local counciles get snow ploughs. They deal with it in other countries so why can't they deal with it here. Its not rocker science, emplpy folk with snow ploughs to clear the roads at night before folk get up.
==============================Enter the Darkside
podman

Post by podman »

You did the right thing not going any further Mac, no point in injuring yourself.

Almost disappointed we have had none at all here so far(Northants), forecasters been over cautious round our way I think.

As long a it doesnt fook up my Chopper meet at the weekend, ill cope..
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:27 am Image

Just taken this, it's snowing again...
I'm pleased to hear you got back safely Mac, but you really should have stayed indoors :crazy:

Chris.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Yikes!
I’m in Germany working but I’ll be back tomorrow night about 10:30. That’s if the airport is open. I don’t fancy the drive home if it’s like that and dark even if I will be in the car☹️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Was meant to visit infant school for a governors visit to see forest school in action doing arctic training for kids but school's shut due to snow...

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Pete.L wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:24 am Yikes!
I’m in Germany working but I’ll be back tomorrow night about 10:30. That’s if the airport is open. I don’t fancy the drive home if it’s like that and dark even if I will be in the car☹️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good luck with that, apparently there is more on the way...Then rain all next week, which should clear the snow at least... :lol:

I did give it another go this morn...Didn't even get off my drive way. Got a bit stuck with the rear spinning up & sliding ever so slightly to the left thus trapping me up against neighbour Andys Merc, just about got both feet down, with the bike leaning slightly to the right...Then me right foot started sliding away from me... :lol:

So I managged to flag someone from over the road to come over & asked him to give me a push/pull... Then Andy came out & added his help to the effort inbetween laughing...

So with them holding the bike up I got off very gracefully on the righthand side, pushed it back abit got it on the stand. Then very slowly pushed it back into the MacCave...fek work I'd rather not bother... :lol: :lol:

Andy had cleared his car off yesterday & gone out, got as far as the bridge on the Grain road & a tanker HGV was stuck on the bridge so there was a que...he turned round & came home. This morn after another night of snow his car had a good 4 to 5'' covering on it.

Even if I could have got off the drive the road itself was again a sheet of ice covered by snow so I doubt I would have got far...

At least I tried... :lol:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

It’s a bit cold here too
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

lloydie wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:45 am Image
It’s a bit cold here too
:lol: :thumbup:

Chris.