Boot repairs.

General Biker Banter
sirch345
Site Admin

Boot repairs.

Post by sirch345 »

I went into Timpson today to enquire about having my old Prexport motorcycle boots re-soled and re-heeled, as the rest of the boots are still in very good condition, plus they fit really well. The problem is the soles and heels still have some of the tread pattern showing so I was wondering how they would go about repairing these, and if it was even possible.

It turns out my boots would need to be sent away to their main depot where they would remove the sole and heel complete (as in one piece) then bond on complete new. The guy I spoke to assured me they would do a really good job and the price would be £72, that includes p&p.

Having had a leather motorcycle jacket repaired locally many years ago (not by Timpson I hasn't to add) which was a rubbish repair involving new main zip and two front pocket zips, I'm a little loath to take the risk.

So have any of you used Timpson to have your motorcycle boots repaired as in new soles and heels :?:

Cheers,

Chris.
MacV2

Re: Boot repairs.

Post by MacV2 »

Cobblers.

Er @ that price & you are worried just buy some new boots... Although if they have to do what they say I'm sure it will be done properly...If it fails* take em back...

* within reason of course if your prone to getting your knee down & the ocasional elbow, the toes & edges of your boots are going to take a bashing...Who do you think you are Marques ... :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I got an old pair of comfy Sidi's resoled by GB leathers in Rainham, Kent a few weeks back, 60.00.
Genuine Sidi soles, and he even replaced a vent clip foc.
Best of all, it's based in a pub, so get the wife to drive you there, weds night is bike night.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Thanks Mac :lol: and Tony for your replies. The problem you have living down here is you don't have so many options like you have in your areas. I've been to most of the local bike shops, but nothing grabbed me. When I bought these Prexport boots they fitted fantastically well the first time I tried them on, so may be I have been spoilt with these :)

Unfortunately the quality of the same type of boots made by Prexport is not as good now.
tony.mon wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:00 pm Best of all, it's based in a pub, so get the wife to drive you there, weds night is bike night.
:lol: :thumbup:

Chris.
podman

Post by podman »

If you have a J&S store near you, drop it in and they will repair or alter almost any riding gear. Its sent to their Finedon store and main depot where they have a couple of skilled ladies who do the work.

Had my Sidi boots re-zipped by them last year and a jacket altered prior to that, they do also work on some of pro racers suits as well so they know their stuff.

My Mrs used Timpsons to repair her (non riding) boots a little while ago and to be fair they did a good job.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

podman wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:35 pm If you have a J&S store near you, drop it in and they will repair or alter almost any riding gear. Its sent to their Finedon store and main depot where they have a couple of skilled ladies who do the work.

Had my Sidi boots re-zipped by them last year and a jacket altered prior to that, they do also work on some of pro racers suits as well so they know their stuff.

My Mrs used Timpsons to repair her (non riding) boots a little while ago and to be fair they did a good job.
Thanks Podman for your reply :thumbup:
Nice to know your better half has had a good repair on her non riding boots.

No J&S store near me, the nearest stores is approx. 60 miles away.

I think I'll have to have another scout around locally, then make my mind up,

Chris.
Beef

Post by Beef »

Chris,

Not helpful for boots but something to remember as you live in the back of beyond - Saddlery's can fix seams and replace zips on leather, they have the machines to sort it!
I've had a few zips changed when they've broke, purchased the zip I want and taken it to them, last zip was £8 to fit 8)
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Beef wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:11 pm Chris,

Not helpful for boots but something to remember as you live in the back of beyond - Saddlery's can fix seams and replace zips on leather, they have the machines to sort it!
I've had a few zips changed when they've broke, purchased the zip I want and taken it to them, last zip was £8 to fit 8)
Thanks Beef for your input, good thinking :thumbup:

Chris.