Storm for sale??

General Biker Banter
Penguin

Storm for sale??

Post by Penguin »

Thinking of selling the VTR and getting a Triumph 955I Daytona. Always wanted one and can't have 2 bikes so the storm would have to go. Still just thinking about it and the decision will be made after the summer.
Am I making a mistake? Love my vtr, never lets me down, always enjoy the grunt and noises especially on the overun. Brilliant Skipton to Plymouth run in 5 hours, happy times.
If anyone has an opinion on this potential (likely) decision then let me know.
MacV2

Re: Storm for sale??

Post by MacV2 »

Triumphs more expensive on spares.

Storm far easier to work on.

Storm a better looking bike by a country mile.

Grass is always greener on the otherside but is it any better ?

''Love my vtr, never lets me down, always enjoy the grunt and noises especially on the overun.'' So why think of selling it ?

:confused
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
mdb

Post by mdb »

Penguin wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 9:22 am Thinking of selling the VTR and getting a Triumph 955I Daytona. Always wanted one and can't have 2 bikes so the storm would have to go. Still just thinking about it and the decision will be made after the summer.
Am I making a mistake? Love my vtr, never lets me down, always enjoy the grunt and noises especially on the overun. Brilliant Skipton to Plymouth run in 5 hours, happy times.
If anyone has an opinion on this potential (likely) decision then let me know.
Which one are you thinking of getting? I like triples and twins. I owned Laverdas for 25 years as well as many modern bikes. I owned a 1998 for a year and a 2001 version for a three years. I liked the styling of these models. The later ones were ugly/generic for my tastes. The pre 2001 ones engines weren't as nice and had shorter service intervals. The post 2000 engines are peachy. It is a nice bike, well screwed together but I found it quite uncomfortable on the knees with an odd handlebar postion. I am 6'3" though. I fitted LSL bar risers which improved it a little. Very good MPG. Definitely not as grunty as the VTR but not lacking in power and they have a nice sound to them. You should also consider the Sprint 955 RS which is more unwound and in my opinion a better road bike.
Last edited by mdb on Sat May 19, 2018 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Don't do it!! Regret selling mine although tank range used to annoy me!! Not that I don't love the Viffer!
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
mags@port

Post by mags@port »

If you have not ridden 955i, then that's the first thing to do and do a long run to see if it's to your liking. I am sure you have already otherwise you would not be thinking about it. The good thing about the Daytona is that it can be changed to high bars and remove the fairing with bits from its brother bike the speed. One of the guys I worked with had a speed triple, very nice bike, but as Mac has said very expensive parts and service items. But heyho it's another notch on the bed with ownership. Whatever you choose enjoy it. :beer:
Break it, mend it, mod it, thrash it. If it's made then it's bettered by beer and goggles. Me bikes had Kwak ZZR, Suzuki TL1000s, Yama R1, Aprilia RSV. Now have VTR, Honda CB750 hand built brat/trickster, Yama XS750 and wee old Vespa.
mags@port

Post by mags@port »

There you go, wise words from watty who regretted it
Break it, mend it, mod it, thrash it. If it's made then it's bettered by beer and goggles. Me bikes had Kwak ZZR, Suzuki TL1000s, Yama R1, Aprilia RSV. Now have VTR, Honda CB750 hand built brat/trickster, Yama XS750 and wee old Vespa.
Penguin

Post by Penguin »

Thanks for the replies gents. Rode a 2003 955 the other day. Smoother power delivery than mine and sounded lovely. I dunno, been thinking about it last 2 years. Still haven't made my mind up.
Have to say though when I jumped back on the Storm it was like slipping on something comfortable and did feel great again..... but the itch won't go away!
I like the older and newer ones for different reasons. Newer ones better developed, older better looking and more character perhaps. I don't do many miles a year and tend to only get out on days off during the week. Shorter service intervals not a problem in that case. As you are probably thinking I'm not very decisive!
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

can i say exploding starter gears?? 8O 8O
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Watty

Post by Watty »

Penguin wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 2:04 pm Thanks for the replies gents. Rode a 2003 955 the other day. Smoother power delivery than mine and sounded lovely. I dunno, been thinking about it last 2 years. Still haven't made my mind up.
Have to say though when I jumped back on the Storm it was like slipping on something comfortable and did feel great again..... but the itch won't go away!
I like the older and newer ones for different reasons. Newer ones better developed, older better looking and more character perhaps. I don't do many miles a year and tend to only get out on days off during the week. Shorter service intervals not a problem in that case. As you are probably thinking I'm not very decisive!
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure!!
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
feragonelli

Post by feragonelli »

Watty wrote:
Penguin wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 2:04 pm Thanks for the replies gents. Rode a 2003 955 the other day. Smoother power delivery than mine and sounded lovely. I dunno, been thinking about it last 2 years. Still haven't made my mind up.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure!!
ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk